D7000 vs D300S

G

I hear ya I used to ice race with a 1 gear alcohol bike with football pads on. We should probably take these reminiscent conversations off a camera thread. There was a day that I thought I would never never stop said activities. If you have never ice raced it is a good time. I am too broken and live in the wrong climate, but boy what a rush.

ohkphoto

Snow White
It's all about the lighting and the pictures not necessary the gear..

It's always about the lighting. A good photographer will always work with whatever equipment s/he has in hand. You do, however, want gear that allows you to do what you need. For example, I keep a little Canon powershot(I know it's blasphemy!) on my nightstand simply to get a shot of my dogs when they're doing something cute or to keep in my purse just in case. . . you know those moments, "aw, shucks, if only I had my camera" . . . and yes, I sleep with my dogs (don't think I need to sleep with my nikons, too . . . I guess I should say, my dogs sleep with me) Well, I've gotten some cute shots, but missed more because the camera response is so much slower, and forget about "creative lighting" . . . .

Because this is a Nikon site, there is a lot of discussion about equipment, and sometimes some people may come across as "snobbish" . . . I don't think it's intentional. Snobs don't hang around here much . . . they usually figure out pretty quick that we don't stroke egos here.

Pro, prosumer, amateur, etc., whether it applies to equipment or photographer are really irrelevant terms (and in my opinion, should be obsolete)when it comes to photography. Your camera is only a tool . . . what matters is how you use it. We've had some spirited discussions about similar topics (pro vs amateur) in this forum, and what is so cool is that we can have these discussions and still stay friends.

So, I shoot with an outdated (or out of production) camera because it allows me to be creative and manipulate situations that may be less than ideal. Choice of camera should simply be personal preference. As far as I'm concerned, snobs (in any area of life) are unhappy people with more baggage than they know what to do with. This site is about the pursuit of photography, having fun while getting better, learning from each other, and most of all, having fun.

By the way, I love your avatar, Rob!

Best Regards

G

Helene,
You makes some very nice points as have a couple of other folks here. You all seem very nice and well grounded. I wasn't trying to name call or point anyone out. I was only making a general comment about things I notice site wide as a newcomer. I understand that people are also going to want to inquire about new cameras and what they have to offer as things seem to change once a quarter. As I have navigated this site more and looked at numerous other threads I am beginning to see there a lot more people interested in skill vs "what you got". Though I am interest in talking about new technology I am more interesting in improving my weak skills as I am new to the photography world. My comments were not intended to insult anyone, and again if I did somehow I apologize. I definitely don't want to start off on the wrong foot. It just seems as a lot of people get "hung" up on what is a "pro" camera. It really seems Nikon is bridging that gap making it harder to define and I suspect it will only get more difficult in the near future.

Thanks, my avatar picture is actually a picture of a "cheap" Halloween candle holder that I processed in the D7k with the color outline option. I thought it was slick.

And I too look forward to learning from others and most of all having fun learning while in the pursuit of photography.

Rob

"One can acquire everything in solitude except character"
-Stendhal

fotojack

Rob, I'm sure that no one here thought your comments were insulting in any way. We're a pretty open minded bunch here, and we're all free to speak our minds. You brought up a valid point about equipment, and I'm positive everyone took it as such. Now go out there and take some pictures! :)

ps: I'm an old biker, too. Triumphs, Harleys, Goldwings, etc. :) Started back in the early 60's. Ended in the early 90's. :(

G

@Jack
I am taking pictures I am waiting on some of you pro level studs to give some critiques. I'll keep posting. Thanks for the reassuarance that I am not a total "Richard".

In addition to my Harley I also have a '57 BMW R-26 fully original museum quality in storage. That might bring back a memory or two for ya. And I don't really ride "old thumper" I am 6'6" and look like a Bear at the circus on it. I love the old Triumphs too back you still don't have one they have made quite a come back.

I'll look forward to seeing your comments on my photos...

Rob

Curt

I would love to hear from D7000 owners to see how they like the new camera, Might be something I may look at in the future. Just like to get more feedback on the D7000 :).

auldmart

I recently purchased the D7000 and compared the IQ to the D300s (which I also own) in identical situations i.e. camera setup, tripod, lens etc. The D7000 was noticably better in terms of exposure, sharpness, and image texture across a wide range of test images. My evaluation was subjective but I also asked the opinions of several friends and family who also chose the D7000 images. It was a no brainer for me to purchase the D7000 after seeing the images side by side even though I far prefer the D300s ergonomics. The D300s is a great camera but I suspect the D400 will be fantastic. Well done Nikon.

David

Curt

Thank you so much for the info :). I was not considering the D300 (I have a D200 now). But I had heard a lot of positive things about the D7000, some say its up there with the D700 ?? Looks like its a camera worth looking at in the future.

imnunky

I am at the point of not wanting to read any more reviews, I read one I'm leaning that direction, read another then leaning in that direction , all because I am new at it and because of my location, far from nearest retailers and what if I get home and oops I made a mistake, then having to return,
All I want to do is be sure in my own mind what I want before I leave, In my mind a camera's sole function is to produce images, and if on the onset the manufacturers produce a product with sharpness issues or any issues for that matter compared to the one that it is replacing, this is the last review I read and I now give up RBromfield Photography,
What do I want to shoot you ask, I think I have lenses that will allow me to shoot anything/everything, Once bought my next camera will be it for me, I have no intention of going FX, or chasing new again, Yrs ago I bought the biggest and best computer and screen I could afford for longevity, that's all I want to do with Nikon,
Sorry Folks for yapping off just my 2 cents

Curt

Well, I think you have answered your own questions…lol.
You are looking for a good Nikon that takes great pictures.
I would think unless you are doing it for a living, going to a FX formant
Is a bit of a over kill??? There are lots of Nikons out there that will do the job for you.
D80, D90, D200, even the D3000, D3100, or D5000. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these models. As many on this forum have said, pick each one up, see how they feel in your hand. The one that feels the best is the one you should choose.
I guess if you have lots of money to spend you can look at the pro models??
But there is nothing wrong with any of the Nikon models out there.
Its not the camera, but the person behind it. Learn as much as you can about the model you have, read the manual (cover to cover) get a blue crane digital video on the model you have choosen, and abouve all, get out there and shoot as many pictures as you can J.

imnunky

roguebear
I know how frustrating it can be, want to help you out anyway possible.
Rob

Thank you Rob your very generous, greatly appreciated, but when it comes down to it I am the one with the final decision, I have no problem making decisions, when the pluses and minuses are clearly laid in front of me, in this case I have let the opinions and reviews of the "professionals" sway me, when after all this is all conjecture, opinions, views, etc, instead of using said statements in the context they were meant, as a guide, Realistically I think I was wanting a a push in the right direction, but which direction? Ha ha, no one knows that but me, So I will have to do some soul searching, as to MY direction,

G

Well I don't consider myself a professional still not sure what that definition equals. I was only trying to give you some insight from someone who owns both a 7k and 300, and the slight differences I have noticed. I read the review by the "professional" you posted and I don't agree with all his "assessment". I think he might be comparing it to a 700 a little too much, whole different class. Maybe there is somewhere you can rent before you buy. Or maybe contact one of the "professionals" directly.

imnunky

Curt
Well, I think you have answered your own questions…lol.
You are looking for a good Nikon that takes great pictures.

I would think unless you are doing it for a living, going to a FX formant
Is a bit of an overkill

Yes you are absolutely right, and a road I am not going down, As I said some where else I have No aspirations on becoming a pro or selling my images, check out my gallery there's nothing there worthy, I put them there in hopes of getting negative comments, yes I am serious
I started with D50 now I have the D90 bought used, Now I am vying for the D7000, The more I learn about camera's the more I query, will it be a good copy, will it have hot or dead pixels, will it have sharpness issues, and so on, add infinitum, Funny how I didn't ask these questions with the other camera's, Why?,
because I was ignorant of all that ,
So it all comes down to my wanting to be happy with purchase so I can ride off into the sunset clicking away to my hearts content

imnunky

roguebear

Oh dear I do hope you have not taking my remarks out of context, I in no way was directing them at you, If you were stung by anything said I humbly apologize, I used Pro as generally speaking, not singling anyone particular, I joined this group for fun and help for which I thank one and all, I have enjoyed it so far,
Re Renting I have a Three hr round trip to my closest store and in Canadian winter with Canadian roads is not an option "for me" at this present time, again I thank you sir for you concern and honest help,
Your findings of your D7000 will help in my decision again I thank you for that

Last edited:
G

Heck no man. I got thicker skin than that we are all friends here. Just trying to give my input. I don't know where some of these people get these conclusions. The only thing I can come up with is there was a couple of bad cameras running around in the "early" release. I just don't have any problems, not dead pix, no sharpness problems nothing. Furthermore I know that Nikon stands by their stuff. Sorry if I gave ya the impression I was pissed. Not the case, too many years in the military and as a contractor. I am working on that, I do realize how course I come off sometimes. Was just being honest please don't read too much into it. Trying to make friends here not scare them away.
Love and light
Rob

Curt

I think the technology on the D7000 has caught up with a lot of the Professional models.
So people can take advantage of this while on a budget.
Isn’t technology wonderful??

Imnunky, don't sell yourself short, always remember that a great picture is in the eyes of the beholder.
Although you might not have the desire to be a professional, doesn't mean you can't take great pics that insire yourself & others :). The more you shoot the better you get.

Carolina Photo Guy

Curt

I have No aspirations on becoming a pro or selling my images, check out my gallery there's nothing there worthy,

You are FAR better than you give yourself credit for. You show wonderful compositional skills and your choice of subject matter is sublime.
Being humble is one thing, but always remember...
If YOU don't think you are any good, then why should I?
You don't have to be a prima donna to be considered good. Just be confident.

Pete

imnunky

rougebear, Curt , Carolina Photo Guy

OH wow gentlemen, I am absolutely over whelmed at your responses, almost brought a lump to my throat, with that kind of support how can anyone not achieve, with those kind of endorsements sirs you are all "pro's" in every way, I from the bottom of my heart thank you, with this kind of niceties hard to imagine so much hostility in the world....