D610 vs D7100

Krs_2007

Re: 610 vs 7100

I bought the d600 for the image quality that this camera can produce. It was eventually replaced with the d610 by nikon.
Paired up with the right lenses, this camera is excellent.
But... The d610 with a subpar lens compared to a d7100 with a superb lens that cost about the same as the mediocre fx lens actually creates a better image. That's what I have seen anyway, thus me asking the questions. I don't have a big trust fund or make that kind of money to buy the nikon kings. When I purchased full frame in the first place, I thought kit lens at f8-f11 would be as good as the 24-70 at f8. I was shown wrong. But put that 24-85 on a d7100 and it's in the same ballpark. Again, that's what I have been shown. I haven't done the test myself due to a lack of camera shop in my area and lack of having both cameras in hand. If I had that, I would more than likely keep both.
I didn't expect this to be that complicated or complex question to tell you the truth. I thought someone who has both cameras could describe and maybe show the differences between cameras using same settings and same kit lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with the decision, for what it's worth if I could only have one it would be the 600/610. I shoot portraits, sports, flowers and just about everything except landscapes. Wish I could offer more for you.

Rick M

I'd stick with the d610. As far as my own experiences the new 18-35g is better in every way over the nikon 10-24 was on my d5100. The fx is sharper and has less distortion.

Mark F

610 vs 7100

I'd stick with the d610. As far as my own experiences the new 18-35g is better in every way over the nikon 10-24 was on my d5100. The fx is sharper and has less distortion.

That's the kind of feedback I was after. Thanks. I'll look into that lens. I have the tamron 17-35 2.8 great lens but it has it's failings over the nikon lenses.

Last edited:

aroy

If you shoot landscape then keep the D610. It has better IQ at all ISO.
. For landscapes you need as wide an FOV as you can get. So FX has an advantage over DX here, as same focal length will have a wider image.
. Landscape generally does not need AF. So with D610 you can use excellent AIS manual focus lenses. The 28mm F2.8 AIS is one of the best 28mm you can get.
. You need a low distortion lense for landscapes, again some excellent low distortion lenses are available in the manual focus.

WayneF

But put that 24-85 on a d7100 and it's in the same ballpark.

Budget is certainly one understandable thing, but you are saying that the trick to improve a $600 24-85 mm f/3.5-f/4.5 lens, so that it performs like a $1900 24-70mm f/2.8, is to put it on a smaller sensor? I suppose the reasoning is that DX will crop the edges to use only the center area, but of course, the resulting image is also cropped smaller too. That sounds like wishful thinking.

I have the 24-70 and the $1300 24-120mm f/4 lens, and they are both good lenses, but one is exceptional. Some of the advantage is with both at f/4, one is stopped down a stop.

Mark F

610 vs 7100

Budget is certainly one understandable thing, but you are saying that the trick to improve a $600 24-85 mm f/3.5-f/4.5 lens, so that it performs like a $1900 24-70mm f/2.8, is to put it on a smaller sensor? I suppose the reasoning is that DX will crop the edges to use only the center area, but of course, the resulting image is also cropped smaller too. That sounds like wishful thinking.

I have the 24-70 and the $1300 24-120mm f/4 lens, and they are both good lenses, but one is exceptional. Some of the advantage is with both at f/4, one is stopped down a stop.
Not saying the 24-85 is as good as the 24-70. But I have seen comparison photos which shows not that much difference at f8 and smaller. Could be the fact that fx lenses always seem to look better on dx cameras. Cutting the edges off would be the difference probably. In the center, no comparison between the two.
I've pretty much made my decision to keep the d610 and go with my earlier decision to get a lightweight dx kit to go along with it.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

I've pretty much made my decision to keep the d610 and go with my earlier decision to get a lightweight dx kit to go along with it.

Going back to your first post where you mentioned wanting to print 13x19, a DX lens on your D610 just isn't the way to go. You will need to crop the image to accommodate for the DX lens which makes the file smaller. Then you would need to upsample the image to get it to 13x19. Consider Nikon's 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G lens (NOT the D version which isn't as good). The lens is fabulous on a D610, and since you are interested in landscapes, you won't need an f/2.8 lens. The camera/lens combo will serve you well. :)

Rick M

That's the kind of feedback I was after. Thanks. I'll look into that lens. I have the tamron 17-35 2.8 great lens but it has it's failings over the nikon lenses.

Compare the newer 18-35g and the 14-24 on the d610 at DXO. I believe it ranks equal or a very close second for sharpness on most bodies. It might be consumer grade but it gives excellent results. Not quite as wide but an excellent value for the money. I've sold a few 12x36 prints from this lens.

Mark F

Thanks for the advice on the 18-35 lens. I'll check it out.
I'm still not totally ruling out the d7100 as yet, but the original deal I had fell through. If I keep the d610 or go with the d7100, I don't think I will lose either way with quality of photos I take, mostly landscapes and not many low light indoor or sports which is where the d610 shines. But for now, I'm keeping the 610 and seeing if the advice for lenses will work.

BackdoorArts

It's troublesome to quote all the individual stuff I want to comment from across this thread, so I'll just let it ride.

I have the D600 and D7100. To the Geoff v. Mark discussion regarding enlargement, the full size RAW image coming from my D600 is 6016x4016, while D7100 is 6000x4000. Assuming that the images shot from the two cameras are using equivalent focal length fields of view (35mm on DX, 52mm on FX) the images should be nearly identical in every way from a file size and view perspective. 24MP's is 24MP's, it's just the level of detail each pixel is able to receive during the shot, not afterward. So, we can argue about the quality of the image produced by each and assume that the level of detail from the D600 might be greater, but in my experience, the lack of OLPF on the D7100 almost compensates for it and in most average lighting conditions you'd be splitting hairs.

The quality level of DX glass is pretty darned good, and if you invest wisely you can do some incredible landscape work with the smaller sensor. I've only owned the D7100 for a week, but I'm incredibly impressed with how good a sensor it has, and this is after shooting with a D600 for 18 months and a D800 for 15. That said, I've yet to really test the D7100 in harsh lighting conditions, and I suspect that it is in those areas that the advantages of the FX sensor will come to the fore, but by exactly how much I can't say. I'm not about to go back to DX from FX, but I can say with confidence that there's no need to go to FX just to get a great sensor and super image quality.

WayneF

I have the D600 and D7100. To the Geoff v. Mark discussion regarding enlargement, the full size RAW image coming from my D600 is 6016x4016, while D7100 is 6000x4000. Assuming that the images shot from the two cameras are using equivalent focal length fields of view (35mm on DX, 52mm on FX) the images should be nearly identical in every way from a file size and view perspective. 24MP's is 24MP's, it's just the level of detail each pixel is able to receive during the shot, not afterward.

Simply not the correct or complete way to think of it. NOT identical in every way. Repeating and expanding:

That concept is only just about pixels. And pixels are only just about sampling of the analog image that was projected by the lens onto the sensor. More pixels might reproduce the lens image better, up to Nyquist's half, but of course, more pixels can never improve the original lens image. The analog lens image is the image we seek to reproduce, and the pixels are only a way to try to represent it digitally. We hope it does it well, but the pixels are NOT the end goal.

The fact remains, the DX sensor is a smaller image than FX, which has to be enlarged more than FX (which is not a plus). This is the cropped DX telephoto effect. Even from the same lens, DX simply has to enlarge the crop more, so we imagine a telephoto effect. DX is necessarily enlarged more.

The image projected from the lens is smaller on that cropped DX sensor. If the same lens were on both cameras, the image detail is the same of course, but that cropped view is not. But I'm instead speaking of the same the field of view, made to be the same image view. Field of view can be the same, but DX is a smaller copy of it (24x16 mm, vs 36x24 mm). DX is a smaller image that has to be enlarged more.

The number of pixels could be the same number (like 24 megapixels), and if thought of that way, then printed at X dpi would seem to be the same thing. But that is only about the intermediate pixels, and is NOT about the image they attempt to reproduce. There is a bigger picture, so to speak.
smiley.gif
Saying, we don't look at pixels.

The printed image is in fact to be a reproduction of the original lens image, and DX is simply a smaller image. If printed same size, DX is enlarged more than FX.

Circle Of Confusion (CoC) is considered to be the (arbitrary) diameter of a spot area still considered to appear as the smallest point source (in the standard viewing situation). The sensor size is why CoC used in DOF formulas is 1.5x larger for FX than DX. The larger FX is simply not enlarged as much. So FX could be allowed to be more blurred, so to speak - if not enlarged as much (harder to see the blur).

If a FX, and DX, and compact camera images were all 12 megapixels, which way are you going to bet?
smiley.gif
It is not only about the 12 megapixels. The pixels are just an intermediate tool we use.

It's the same reason large film was used, like medium film for weddings, or sheet film for commercial work. Larger does not have to be enlarged as much. Analog, but considered a strong and obvious plus. But the original lens image, that we try to reproduce for our analog eyes to see, is analog. We hope our digital pixels are sufficient, but the topic is about the analog image projected on to the camera sensor. And DX is simply a smaller image as a starting point.

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Mark...Don't beat yourself up over this...FX is the way to go...Then Glass Glass Glass...Keep your D610 and you will thank us later...Why give up a camera that you know has been taken care of well by you, for a camera that is used with thousands of shutter clicks that you don't know exactly how well it was taken care of...The FOV on fx is better for landscaping, better dynamic range,better ISO for low-light etc...When I had my D7100 it got quite noisey at 800 ISO...

Mark F

Mark...Don't beat yourself up over this...FX is the way to go...Then Glass Glass Glass...Keep your D610 and you will thank us later...Why give up a camera that you know has been taken care of well by you, for a camera that is used with thousands of shutter clicks that you don't know exactly how well it was taken care of...The FOV on fx is better for landscaping, better dynamic range,better ISO for low-light etc...When I had my D7100 it got quite noisey at 800 ISO...

I hear ya. Every time a subject comes up about this, it's the same responses.
Pixels and size... Splitting hairs... Technical mathematical reasons for one thing over the other. Answers that fail to appear is lack of aa filter on the d7100. More focus points and spread out over the sensor... Etc. what I have seen is the shots between these cameras ( without going into zooming over 100% ) with the same focal point, same field of view represented, the 7100 looks sharper. Post can compensate for that but still.
I'm not saying this dx camera is better that my d610. What I am saying is that with the dx lenses available, I could produce almost the same quality shots for less money spent.
At this point, if going back to dx, I would buy new. I've been offered 1900.00 for the d610 with kit lens which would let me buy a d7100 and two good dx lenses for landscape and medium zoom.
It always gets me just how technical these threads turn into. I don't really care about the mathematics of each sensor and each pixel. I care about how the photo looks after it gets printed and is hanging on a wall.
I printed 13x19 prints at 300dpi from my d300s without having to enlarge the file first in Photoshop. They came out fine. What I have noticed with the 24 mp sensors and cameras is better color and the ability to crop a little and still get printed quality.
The comparison of these two cameras should be final print to final print and what the naked eye can see instead of do xxx amount of money spent, you can get more xx from each pixel that you won't be able to see until you print billboard size and stand 6 feet away.
I will keep my d610, but I will probably buy a 7100 or 7200 later on.
I'm purchasing a d3300 now for a light carry all and will see what happens with that. I'll look into that 18-35 lens which will work on both cameras at the area I do most of my shooting.
Sorry for the long thread :).

RocketCowboy

Mark, if it helps at all I'm going through a similar mental debate on what will replace my D5300 ... do I go full frame or stay DX and go to the 7100 (or 7200 if announced soon enough). In the end, mathematics aside, this reminds me of the oil and tire debates we had on the motorcycle forums where it all boils down to ... what makes you happy. If you can get the shots you want in the time needed with the 7100 and it costs you less, that may be your answer. I'm leaning towards FX because I tend to do more outside landscapes and am searching for wider and ultra-wide lenses, so the crop on the DX doesn't let me get as wide as I'd like. Part of what is fueling my debate is if/when a D620 will be released without the OLPF for a truer comparison to the 7100, but then I also think I'm getting hung up on waiting for the latest and greatest.

aroy

If you do not want all bells and whistles of D7100, D3300 will produces images similar to what D7100 will. The only major difference is that D3300 has no motor, so will hot AF with motor less "D" lenses. Do get the kit 18-55 with D3300 it is worth it.

BackdoorArts

Simply not the correct or complete way to think of it. NOT identical in every way. Repeating and expanding:

(snip)

The image projected from the lens is smaller on that cropped DX sensor. If the same lens were on both cameras, the image detail is the same of course, but that cropped view is not. But I'm instead speaking of the same the field of view, made to be the same image view.

(snip again)

What you missed, Wayne, is that I stated explicitly that I'm using lenses of equivalent focal length (i.e. 35mm on DX, 52mm on FX). We went through this argument ages ago and you won me over - equivalent focal length lenses used this way produces the same image. So, now all we're varying is light information due to pixel size. Yes, there's potential going to be things lost in the light details of the smaller pixel camera, but assuming equivalently sharp lenses and non-extreme lighting conditions the resulting images will be the nearly identical 24MP images, with the D600/610 image being 6014x4014px vs. the D7100 being 6000x4000px).

Using the same lens, yes, you have all the rest of the stuff to consider - but that's not what I said, and I'm pretty darn sure that's not what Geoff meant when he made the statement.

WayneF

What you missed, Wayne, is that I stated explicitly that I'm using lenses of equivalent focal length (i.e. 35mm on DX, 52mm on FX). We went through this argument ages ago and you won me over - equivalent focal length lenses used this way produces the same image. So, now all we're varying is light information due to pixel size. Yes, there's potential going to be things lost in the light details of the smaller pixel camera, but assuming equivalently sharp lenses and non-extreme lighting conditions the resulting images will be the nearly identical 24MP images, with the D600/610 image being 6014x4014px vs. the D7100 being 6000x4000px).

Using the same lens, yes, you have all the rest of the stuff to consider - but that's not what I said, and I'm pretty darn sure that's not what Geoff meant when he made the statement.

Are you intentionally ignoring my point? :) I am not ignoring yours, I am merely working beyond it. I'm saying there is obviously more to it than just focal length or pixels. If comparing DX and FX, that is not all we are varying.

You're dwelling on the pixels sampled from the images, which are just sort of an artifact or intermediate tool which can only reduce accuracy and quality. But I'm thinking of the analog images (out of lens, and into eye) that we are actually trying to reproduce and compare (FX and DX at same size, either in print or on video screen).

Equivalent lenses can produce the same field of view, which we can recognize as the same image. It is a good starting point, but of course, it's not exactly the same image. Because the DX image is 2/3 the size of the FX image (cropped size), and thus DX needs more enlargement to compare them. I am not speaking of pixel size. The very best pixel situation only strives to match and reproduce the original image out of the lens. We hope the pixel situation does well enough to reproduce the original images adequately. But that original image (captured from lens) is simply smaller for DX, and needs 50% more enlargement to compare them, which can be a shortcoming.

As mentioned before about three obvious differences in the image sizes:

1. This is the cropped DX telephoto effect. Even from the same lens, DX simply has to enlarge the crop more, so we imagine a telephoto effect.

2. 24x16 mm, vs 36x24 mm

3. The sensor size is why CoC used in DOF formulas is 1.5x larger for FX than DX

Dx is simply smaller, and requires greater enlargement. This certainly is a difference. We can enlarge it more so it appears the same, but enlargement is not free of effect.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Now don't take all of this too seriously. It's not worth fighting for.

I do understand your point Wayne and I know this is how it worked in analog film: A larger negative had to be enlarged less to produce the same size image. But I thought that since we are dealing with digital, the pixels are not actually enlarged (please correct me if I'm wrong), they are just given to a printer or a screen as means of interpretation. This is why I thought that a 24MP image would have the same definition whether it came from FX or DX.

I think I'm getting lost with a concept here. I wouldn't mind hearing a clearer explanation to ease my brain. :)

Geoffc

Yes I'm with Jake on this one but I really can't be bothered to get into a lengthy debate on this point as I've not had to seriously think too much about Nyquist sampling rates and quantisation errors for a good few years:rolleyes: I believe that Jake and I view a pixel as a pixel regardless of sensor size, in that once it's job of gathering some light levels and representing them as a binary value is achieved its job is done. Yes the pixels on a FX are larger than a DX most of the time but at the end of the day they both end up with an 8 or 16 bit binary value after being exposed to light. If you look at the D800 and D7000 the pixels are very similar in size so that further confuses that debate :confused:

For both the 7100 and 610 we simply end up with a file containing 24,000,000 binary values. To say they are different sizes is like saying a 24mp image file stored on a very old 5 1/4" floppy disk must be natively larger and thus higher quality than one on an old 3 1/2" drive because each byte is stored over a larger surface area.

The comparison is also made with film but it doesn't carry over. Film of the same type, has a given per square mm resolution so the smaller format film has less resolution for a like for like image and as such produces a lesser image when enlarged from 35mm to medium format for example.

Wayne, if you disagree with my point that's ok I'll just carry on in ignorance.

WayneF

Now don't take all of this too seriously. It's not worth fighting for.

I do understand your point Wayne and I know this is how it worked in analog film: A larger negative had to be enlarged less to produce the same size image. But I thought that since we are dealing with digital, the pixels are not actually enlarged (please correct me if I'm wrong), they are just given to a printer or a screen as means of interpretation. This is why I thought that a 24MP image would have the same definition whether it came from FX or DX.

I think I'm getting lost with a concept here. I wouldn't mind hearing a clearer explanation to ease my brain. :)

I hope you are not planning to start a fight. :) I was unaware of any fight, at least on this topic. :) I thought it was a discussion. And I'm not sure I can do it clearer. :)

Pixels are just a color definition sampled from the original source, an image of the source. They did have a size in microns on the sensor, but thereafter, in the image file, there is no size, i.e. dimensionless, just a color definition for an associated relative dimensionless area. Images can have a ride along arbitrary number (dpi, pixels per inch), just a number, which suggests an arbitrary size it might be printed on paper (and thus defines a pixel size on paper if honored, like 300 pixels per inch), but we are free to ignore it, change it for a better specific goal, or not even print it at all. But just for example, 7 microns sensor pixel to 1/300 inch printed pixel is an enlargement of known definition. Odds are someone or something will resample it first before we see it. On the video screen, we have to view it at 100% Actual size to ever see the original pixels... Yes, there are complications.

I do not disagree that 24 mp is 24 mp, but there is more to it on input.

For example, a compact camera may typically have a sensor in ballpark of perhaps about 8x6 mm size (made up numbers). It might be 16 megapixels today, but we know it does not compete with a 16 mp DX. Perhaps the pixels have similarities (ignoring size, etc), but the lenses - compressing the field of view into a tiny, or a larger area, are not the same. Saying (due to lens resolution if nothing else), there is obviously less detail in the tiny image, and obviously more detail in the larger image. And less detail, enlarged to be same size as the more detail to allow comparing, is simply not the same effect. Enlargement does not create detail. Pixels do not create detail (they hope not to hurt detail). The lens creates detail.

Because, a (same field of view) image projected onto a DX 24x16 mm sensor is larger, and can show more detail, than the image projected onto a 8x6 mm sensor, regardless if both are divided into 16 million pixels. All pixels are not equal. The DX image is larger overall (again, same field of view). An FX sensor is even larger. A smaller image requires more enlargement, which better shows shortcomings of the small image.

Make no mistake, the DX image certainly does have a size, it is about 24x16 mm (about APS film size). And FX is about 35mm film size.

No pixels in film, but this was all true of film too, 35mm, medium roll film, sheet film, etc. It is not about pixels, but I suppose film silver halide particles could roughly substitute in concept for pixels. :)
I think digital and film works the same way, in that enlargement is detrimental. Larger original images have a better starting point.

Depth of field guides certainly think so, and CoC (while arbitrary) is computed from media size, exactly same concept for both film and digital. Pixels are not mentioned.

Last edited: