D610 vs D7100

Nathan Lanni

I found this thread pretty informative actually.....and appreciate the bump for further discussion as I look to migrate to digital full frame.

At the risk of boring Browncoat and getting clowned again, I'll say I just made the transition and received my d610 this week. I had some misgivings because it is a step backwards from my D7100 in a couple of areas , but I'm really glad I did it.

My biggest surprise is just how small the autofocus points are in the viewfinder in FX mode. It's likely my eyes but I can barely see them. I read a lot about it and was expecting something different, but anyway. . .

Regardless, I'd already resigned myself to my number one priority being the sensor and my eventual upgrade path for lenses. In a whole different area but sort of a point of reference for me is someday I like to get one or two old medium or large format film bodies. I wouldn't mind getting back into developing my own film again. It's a ways off and likely by the time I get around to it, it won't be possible anymore, and by comparison dslr's are obviously in another universe compared to that old tech.

Best of luck to you on your choice of cameras.

FWIW

Cheers.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
....I just made the transition and received my d610 this week. I had some misgivings because it is a step backwards from my D7100 in a couple of areas , but I'm really glad I did it.

Cheers.

Congratulations! I'm not sure I'd say the D610 is a step backwards...each camera has its own unique strengths. At least that's the way I look at them. ;) I went from a D610 to adding a D7100 because of the advantage of a crop sensor coupled with a telephoto lens and/or a macro lens. Sure the sensors aren't identical, but for me, each camera will be used with a specific purpose in mind. Since I initially started photography with a 35mm camera, I particularly like the FOV on a full frame; however, I will make use of the DX FOV, too. :)

Nathan Lanni

Former dark room owner here too! Limited to BW only tho never spent the dough to get into color.

Yeah, it was a major investment. My dark room was pretty simple.

I enjoyed the process from A to Z. I think it started for me in high school when our instructor had us make a pinhole camera from just about any kind of small box available. By the time you actual acquired a real camera you had already made a couple of simple cameras so it made you really appreciate it. Of course making the camera and exposing the film wouldn't mean much if you didn't develop it.

A long time ago.

Cheers.

RocketCowboy

Congratulations! I'm not sure I'd say the D610 is a step backwards...each camera has its own unique strengths. At least that's the way I look at them. ;) I went from a D610 to adding a D7100 because of the advantage of a crop sensor coupled with a telephoto lens and/or a macro lens. Sure the sensors aren't identical, but for me, each camera will be used with a specific purpose in mind. Since I initially started photography with a 35mm camera, I particularly like the FOV on a full frame; however, I will make use of the DX FOV, too. :)

The more I dwell on it, this is where I keep getting to. I find myself shooting both long range (240mm+) and landscapes (right now limited to 18-24mm) so think the best solution for me is both DX and FX. The only thing that's holding me back from an FX body today (besides money and justification with the wife :) ) is that I'm still on consumer glass. Ultimately though, I don't think it's really 610 vs 7100 ... unless you can only afford one or the other ... I think the ideal solution is one of both! :D

Nathan Lanni

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend. I really like both cameras.

No question: The D610 is a step forward for me in terms of the sensor, and there's plenty of other advantages too. One thing I really like is the Mode Dial has a mode for the remote.

The irony of this is I kind of laugh at myself when I read my words. My first "real" film camera was an Argus C3 Tan and Black 35mm rangefinder. I guess they call them the "The Brick" now days - you see really nice examples all the time on ebay for $50 -$100. Mine is still around in a box somewhere but I'm thinking of picking up a C3 off ebay to take a trip down memory lane. Everything was manual. It had an attached separate light meter, separate flash attachment, manual focus lens, f/ - and I loved that camera and I think my photos were fairly descent.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Last edited:

hrstrat57

I think the ideal solution is one of both! :D

Crop and full frame sensor cam in the bag is the solution for me too....and I notice many here on this forum do exactly that.

Appears the D7000 or 7100 and a D600 or 610 is the preferred choice, my plan is a cheaper one. D300 and D700.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

No question: The D610 is a step forward for me in terms of the sensor. There's plenty of other advantages too. One thing I really like is the Mode Dial has a mode for the remote.

The irony of this is I kind of laugh at myself when I read those words. My first 35mm was a rangefinder and everything was manual. Had to have a separate light meter, manual focus lens, f/ - and I loved that camera. My next camera was a slr but fully manual with only a built-in light meter for guidance.

Cheers

No offense taken! ;) I'm laughing at YOUR comment about a 35mm rangefinder.... Jeepers, I had a Yashica rangefinder myself before moving to a 35mm SLR--I forgot about that one! And before that was a 110 pocket camera which I loved while it was in use although admittedly the photos weren't the best. :glee:

hrstrat57

No question: The D610 is a step forward for me in terms of the sensor. There's plenty of other advantages too. One thing I really like is the Mode Dial has a mode for the remote.

The irony of this is I kind of laugh at myself when I read those words. My first 35mm was a rangefinder and everything was manual. Had to have a separate light meter, manual focus lens, f/ - and I loved that camera. My next camera was a slr but fully manual with only a built-in light meter for guidance.

Cheers

With out a doubt the best pics I have taken to date were back in the day with my 1959 Nikon F with no light meter. Out the door I went with a hand held Gossen Pilot Meter and often with only a Nikkor 50 f1.4 on board, never more than with also a 28 f2.8 and a 135 f2.8. That was the kit of choice. Often I was so dialed in I didn't even use the light meter often shooting with Kodachrome 25 or at most 64 or of course various Kodak B/W films and getting the light bang on in the darkroom = yep I was pretty dialed in.

I wish I still had that camera tho a fellow bought it from me on eBay several years ago for over $900....he emailed me 6 months later with a few pics of his work after having the camera completely refurbished.....said it was his most prized possession.

Great hobby this picture taking and today's tool are truly astounding.....

It was my most prized possession at one time too but time marches on.

Nathan Lanni

The more I dwell on it, this is where I keep getting to. I find myself shooting both long range (240mm+) and landscapes (right now limited to 18-24mm) so think the best solution for me is both DX and FX. The only thing that's holding me back from an FX body today (besides money and justification with the wife :) ) is that I'm still on consumer glass. Ultimately though, I don't think it's really 610 vs 7100 ... unless you can only afford one or the other ... I think the ideal solution is one of both! :D

I was about to buy a "Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A Nikon" for $800. I enjoy landscape, nature and architectural photography and knew eventually I'd be going to FX. I said "Why are you investing in DX glass?" The thing is the D610 DX mode works great with my 18-200mm DX lens until I can pick up a couple FX lenses.

Money being a consideration for me, it had to be one or the other, but really both cameras bodies are fantastic.