D600 -- Which Glass Will You Use With It?

bob69453

Moved up from the D90 to the 600 and am very impressed. I have the 28-300/3.5-5.6 and find it a great universal lens, but I recently bought the 85/1.4G and absolutely love this piece of glass. Bokehlicious!!

Phillydog1958

Early on, I had no desire to purchase the WU-1b wireless mobile adapter. I considered it to be another gimmick. Then, curiosity got the best of me. I had a change of heart and decided to do a little research. After searching for information and reviews on the product, I've found that there's not a lot of information out there, being that the D600 and the WU-1b are both, so new. I did find plenty of information on the WU-1a, which was designed for the D3200. It's been available to the public for awhile, so there are more user reviews out there. The majority of reviews for the WU-1a are positive, so I took a chance on the WU-1b. I'm wanting to use it to remotely control my camera. Also, the immediate downloading of photos to a smart device, isn't a bad feature, either. Within my house, with wifi, the unit works well. I'll have to try it away from a wifi signal, out in the field. Hopefully, it will work just as well. I'll update.

Last edited:

Nikonitus

I've been asking about the 28-300mm at the local camera shop and now I'll have to wait til the 70-200mm F4 surfaces here. I see it advertised, so it should be on its way, I guess. Sounds like it may well be a good one too... Here's hoping...!!!

Phillydog1958

I'm still in the process of selling off my DX lenses, but I'm slightly interested in the soon-to-be-released Nikon 70-200mm f4. I'd couple it with a Nikon teleconverter to add length. I could also use the teleconverter with my 105mm macro. The reviews for the 70-200mm f4 are all positive. I've been hearing good things about Nikon's other f4 series lenses. Is anyone shooting with any of them? What's the verdict?

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

I'm still in the process of selling off my DX lenses, but I'm slightly interested in the soon-to-be-released Nikon 70-200mm f4. I'd couple it with a Nikon teleconverter to add length. I could also use the teleconverter with my 105mm macro, so a teleconverter would benefit me in multiple ways. The reviews for the 70-200mm f4 are all positive. I've been hearing good things about Nikon's other f4 series lenses. Is anyone shooting with any of them? What's the verdict? Are they as great as "They" say?

Last edited:

Allindia95

Just picked up the D600 today and along with it a 50mm 1.8G. Loving it so far.

Was finished with the D3100. Keeping it still to get my little brother more interested in photography

Eye-level

Banned
I'd probably use old Nikkor primes...the four horsemen hahahaha... 28/2.8 Ais (7 blade), 58/1.2 Ais (9 blade), 85/1.4 Ais, 105/2.5 Ais...plus maybe the Beast for all my AF'ing needs. :)

As for Zeiss and Voigtlander they are very good but the aforementioned old @ss Nikkors hit way harder IMO and I am an Zeiss guy.

But I won't get a D600 in the near future because although I would love to have one I don't need it at this point.

eurotrash

Will use my Sigma 50mm 1.4 when I purchase in or around February. If not that, the 85mm 1.8.
Mostly done with zooms for the moment..

Mestre

I'm also without DX lenses, sold my 10-20 Sigma the day before buying the D600.

I have a Sigma 24-70 2.8, a Nikon 105 VR micro, a Nikon AF-D 50mm 1.8, a Tamron 70-300 VC and now waiting for a Nikon 16-35 VR (due to arrive by the end of next week).

Later, I'll consider going for the 70-200 F/4 and sell the Tamron.

Phillydog1958

I'm also without DX lenses, sold my 10-20 Sigma the day before buying the D600.

I have a Sigma 24-70 2.8, a Nikon 105 VR micro, a Nikon AF-D 50mm 1.8, a Tamron 70-300 VC and now waiting for a Nikon 16-35 VR (due to arrive by the end of next week).

Later, I'll consider going for the 70-200 F/4 and sell the Tamron.

I've also been considering the 70-200 f4, with a 2X teleconverter. The lens was just released a couple of days ago. I've read several pre-launch articles, but now I'm waiting for user/professional reviews, after the launch. Has anyone heard anything about how this lens performs?

aZuMi

Will use my Sigma 50mm 1.4 when I purchase in or around February. If not that, the 85mm 1.8.
Mostly done with zooms for the moment..

eurotrash, which one are you planning to get?

I'm still deciding for my next lens...

I've heard good things about Sigma 85mm 1.4, but I'm torn since I've also tried Nikkor 85mm 1.8. I really want to keep my setup all Nikon, but I don't have the funds to get Nikkor 85mm 1.4. Thoughts? Or maybe I should wait for a used 85mm 1.4D?

For the UWA side, Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 or Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8....

Decisions, decisions...

RookieDSLR

Forget the Sigma 85mm 1.4 and get the Nikon 85mm f1.8 it is a marvelous lens and I have yet taken it off. I just purchased a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and unfortunately I haven't even put it on yet and its been almost a week because I love the Nikon 85mm so much LOL. Try this Nikon 85mm you will not be dissapointed. Trust me!

Jeremy V

aZuMi

Forget the Sigma 85mm 1.4 and get the Nikon 85mm f1.8 it is a marvelous lens and I have yet taken it off. I just purchased a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and unfortunately I haven't even put it on yet and its been almost a week because I love the Nikon 85mm so much LOL. Try this Nikon 85mm you will not be dissapointed. Trust me!

Jeremy V

I've had sigma 24-70mm 2.8 and it doesn't compare to Nikon primes for sure. But why is 85mm 1.8G would be better than 1.4? My main concern is low light (REALLY dark) and bokeh. I would think that 1/3 of a stop extra light will help with focus as well.

Dave_W

The Dude
I've had sigma 24-70mm 2.8 and it doesn't compare to Nikon primes for sure. But why is 85mm 1.8G would be better than 1.4? My main concern is low light (REALLY dark) and bokeh. I would think that 1/3 of a stop extra light will help with focus as well.

The reason I prefer the f/1.8 over the f/1.4 can be seen in this review by Nasim Mansurov (see HERE) in which he does a head-to-head comparison.

pedroj

I've also been considering the 70-200 f4, with a 2X teleconverter. The lens was just released a couple of days ago. I've read several pre-launch articles, but now I'm waiting for user/professional reviews, after the launch. Has anyone heard anything about how this lens performs?

Nikons x 2 converter will only auto focus with F2.8 lens...The x1.4 will do the job..

aZuMi

Ordered mine with the Nikkor 24-70 F2.8. Can't decide if I'll be purchasing the 70-200 F2.8 or the 14-24 F2.8 next.

Josh, I think 70-200mm 2.8 is a more useful range than 14-24mm 2.8. You'll definitely get more use from 70-200mm especially with portraits or just the reach. 24mm at FX sensor is plenty wide IMO

eurotrash, which one are you planning to get?

I'm still deciding for my next lens...

I've heard good things about Sigma 85mm 1.4, but I'm torn since I've also tried Nikkor 85mm 1.8. I really want to keep my setup all Nikon, but I don't have the funds to get Nikkor 85mm 1.4. Thoughts? Or maybe I should wait for a used 85mm 1.4D?

For the UWA side, Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 or Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8....

Decisions, decisions...

So my priorities changed alot...Didn't get 85mm 1.8 nor the Tokina/Nikkor UWA.

Instead, I got the Nikon Nikkor 28-70mm 2.8 AF-D ED. This thing is definitely a beast and much thicker than 24-70mm 2.8.

I got it for $960 and was recently calibrated and replaced with new parts from Nikon. It also has 3 month warranty. IMO, I thought it was a good deal, especially since he showed me that he literally just got it back from Nikon Canada before selling it (plus the 3 month warranty). Can't wait to shoot the beast!

Also, time to sell the 28mm 1.8, too much overlap now..

Last edited: