D600 -- Which Glass Will You Use With It?

M

macjim

I've got the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 kit lens and the 50mm f1.4G lens — the zoom for wide angle and zoom but the 50mm will be my 'prime' lens. I used to use an Olympus OM-1n with a 50mm lens in my film days and that's what I wanted to get back too. My other main camera is my fujifilm X-Pro1 with the 18. 35 & 60 mm lenses, the 35 is my main use lens as it gives me the equivalent to the 50mm.

Cheers, Macjim.

Last edited:

Sambr

Just about anything. Don't listen to the BS that you need expensive glass. I use an old 135mm AIS lens on my D800 and it produces very sharp clear images.

nzswift

Bought my D600 three days ago to use specifically with my old Nikkor MF AIS primes...20mm 3.5, 28mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.8, 55mm 2.8 Micro, 105mm 2.8 Micro, 200mm 4.0, 200mm 4.0 Micro, 400mm 5.6.It's like stepping back into the 90's and my F3.For a walk around lens I have a AF 24-120mm.

aZuMi

Sigh...just seeing all your lists on the D600 makes me drool. Wish I had extra $$$ to invest on some of the lenses you're all mentioning.

Phillydog1958

I just picked up the kit lens, 24-85mm and I'm awaiting the arrival of a 50mm, 1.8, which I ordered from Amazon. The kit lens isn't bad, but I'm really excited about the 50mm. Later on, way down the road, probably late in 2013, I'll try to get another "Gold Ring" Nikon, wide to midranged zoom lens.

Last edited:

Nikonitus

I still believe that you "should" use quality lenses over the average or cheaper stuff, if possible, becuase of more than just the immediate image quality. Quality of build and precision of the glass elements helps to get that light just where it needs to be, and with less fear of distortion too,, be it barrelling, pincushioning, Chr Ab, cropping (DX vs FX lenses), vignetting etc etc which are all more likely to degrade your images and more likely to reside in the cheaper lenses. If this wasn't so, there would be no need for these more expensive lenses at all. Believe me, I am no pro and I'm not a rich guy, but I have learned the difference between budget lenses and more precisely built type lenses. What are they? Simple,, with the more expensive better quality lenses, you seldom have reason to moan over the results, whereas with the cheaper lenses it's likely for you to start doubting your gear and maybe even blame the camera itself... If you start off with good gear, then if a problem arises, it's quitle likely to be the photographer at fault, not always, but more times than not, rather than the lens...

That's not to say that all budget lenses will not perform. I can recall a couple of lenses I tried on my D300 a few years back and got some almost fantastic results. One in particular was the very cheap, 55-200mm, which was so dirt cheap I almost got suspicious of it at the time. Yet it gave some absolutely crisp, clear, beautiful results. Right now, I have the one leftover lens that I decided to keep when I cleaned out my small collection of lenses a while ago, the 70-300mm which will luckily fit on the D600 and 2 days ago I tried it out and was quite delighted at its results too. It's not a total cheap lens but neither is it expensive either, about half the price of my number one lens, the 24-120mm. I didn't even realize it was an FX lens and thought about selling it, but since it performed quite well on the D300, I decided to hang on to it - luckily.. I think I may have found a great duo for all-round use on the D600. While not trying to belittle anyone who uses budget lenses and thinks the world of them, I'd suggest you think of the quality which can be obtained from the better lenses as opposed to the quality you'd like to get out of the budget lenses.

I'm a builder by profession and I tend to buy better equipment when and where possible even if I have to wait a few weeks longer to be able to afford it over the hoards of cheaper stuff available. Not to show off, but so when you're on the job, the likelihood of failure is significantly reduced. Some of the brands of gear I buy, also have "home-user" ranges too, which I also stay clear of, because they are not made to do the same job as the full-on trade stuff. Building, photography, whatever,, it's all the same rules - better stuff will always cost more. Not necessarily bigger, just better...

Just my opinion... Hope I don't stand on any toes...!!!

Last edited:

bigal1000

I still believe that you "should" use quality lenses over the average or cheaper stuff, if possible, becuase of more than just the immediate image quality. Quality of build and precision of the glass elements helps to get that light just where it needs to be, and with less fear of distortion too,, be it barrelling, pincushioning, Chr Ab, cropping (DX vs FX lenses), vignetting etc etc which are all more likely to degrade your images and more likely to reside in the cheaper lenses. If this wasn't so, there would be no need for these more expensive lenses at all. Believe me, I am no pro and I'm not a rich guy, but I have learned the difference between budget lenses and more precisely built type lenses. What are they? Simple,, with the more expensive better quality lenses, you seldom have reason to moan over the results, whereas with the cheaper lenses it's likely for you to start doubting your gear and maybe even blame the camera itself... If you start off with good gear, then if a problem arises, it's quitle likely to be the photographer at fault, not always, but more times than not, rather than the lens...

That's not to say that all budget lenses will not perform. I can recall a couple of lenses I tried on my D300 a few years back and got some almost fantastic results. One in particular was the very cheap, 55-200mm, which was so dirt cheap I almost got suspicious of it at the time. Yet it gave some absolutely crisp, clear, beautiful results. Right now, I have the one leftover lens that I decided to keep when I cleaned out my small collection of lenses a while ago, the 70-300mm which will luckily fit on the D600 and 2 days ago I tried it out and was quite delighted at its results too. It's not a total cheap lens but neither is it expensive either, about half the price of my number one lens, the 24-120mm. I didn't even realize it was an FX lens and thought about selling it, but since it performed quite well on the D300, I decided to hang on to it - luckily.. I think I may have found a great duo for all-round use on the D600. While not trying to belittle anyone who uses budget lenses and thinks the world of them, I'd suggest you think of the quality which can be obtained from the better lenses as opposed to the quality you'd like to get out of the budget lenses.

I'm a builder by profession and I tend to buy better equipment when and where possible even if I have to wait a few weeks longer to be able to afford it over the hoards of cheaper stuff available. Not to show off, but so when you're on the job, the likelihood of failure is significantly reduced. Some of the brands of gear I buy, also have "home-user" ranges too, which I also stay clear of, because they are not made to do the same job as the full-on trade stuff. Building, photography, whatever,, it's all the same rules - better stuff will always cost more. Not necessarily bigger, just better...

+1 I have through experience find that you usually sell the cheap stuff and then get what you wanted in the first place.

M

macjim

+1 I have through experience find that you usually sell the cheap stuff and then get what you wanted in the first place.

While I agree with both your comments about the quality of lenses, and the suggestion that you should buy the best that you can afford, most folk can't afford to buy both the D600 and a high quality lens. Any good quality lens I've seen and wanted, are made by Zeiss and Voigtlander which in comparison are the better choice. The biggest problem with these is the lack of an appropriate focusing screen. In my mind, you need to get a focus screen which has a split viewfinder to allow accurate and sharp focusing such as I had in my Olympus OM-1n. Yes, you can get away with the one that comes with the D600 but that involves a degree of compromise. I had originally wanted to buy the Zeiss ZF.2 50mm f1.4 Planar Lens
Or the Voigtlander 40/2 Ultron SL II N in Nikon AI-s fit
To go with the D600 but the thought of having to replace the focus screen put me off. Maybe I might trade in my Nikon lenses for one of these lenses and have a split screen focus screen but that will have to await the day I can afford them.
Regarding the optical quality, the mention of pin cushion, barrel distortion etc made me smile — I thought I'd bought the best nikon lens when I bought the f1.4G 50 mm nikon lens but when edited in Lightroom 4.2, I was amazed at the amount of distortion with this lens! But in all fairness, all manufacturers lenses suffer from problems too as my Fujifilm X-Pro1's 18, 35 & 60mm lenses too suffer from some distortion and they are high quality lenses — probably better than nikons lenses I must say!
Between Nikon and Canon, I'd say Canon make the better lenses as I've yet to use a Nikon lens that wasn't free of distortion — that is why I had thought about the 6D as a full framed camera choice as it will come with an L zoom lens, it was the body spec that final made me go for the D600. Oh, and just as an extra bit of info, I've owned the D50, D90 and now the D600 so I've had some experience of Nikon kit lenses.
Cheers, Macjim.

Dave_W

The Dude

I agree with you 100%. It's funny that I also learned to appreciate the value of a "professional" level instrument when working construction, too. The differences on the surface seem small but underneath the skin is a completely different components and that makes all the difference. And buying the best lenses you can is sage advice. Not only will the lens perform better than a cheaper lens, it will also hold a much greater % of it's original value in resale value. So despite the fact a professional lens costs ~$2k, you can resell that lens for about 3/4's or more of the price. So in a very real way you're "investing" in a lens rather than just a dead end purchase.

Nikonitus

While I agree with both your comments about the quality of lenses, and the suggestion that you should buy the best that you can afford, most folk can't afford to buy both the D600 and a high quality lens. Any good quality lens I've seen and wanted, are made by Zeiss and Voigtlander which in comparison are the better choice. The biggest problem with these is the lack of an appropriate focusing screen. In my mind, you need to get a focus screen which has a split viewfinder to allow accurate and sharp focusing such as I had in my Olympus OM-1n. Yes, you can get away with the one that comes with the D600 but that involves a degree of compromise. I had originally wanted to buy the Zeiss ZF.2 50mm f1.4 Planar Lens
Or the Voigtlander 40/2 Ultron SL II N in Nikon AI-s fit
To go with the D600 but the thought of having to replace the focus screen put me off. Maybe I might trade in my Nikon lenses for one of these lenses and have a split screen focus screen but that will have to await the day I can afford them.
Regarding the optical quality, the mention of pin cushion, barrel distortion etc made me smile — I thought I'd bought the best nikon lens when I bought the f1.4G 50 mm nikon lens but when edited in Lightroom 4.2, I was amazed at the amount of distortion with this lens! But in all fairness, all manufacturers lenses suffer from problems too as my Fujifilm X-Pro1's 18, 35 & 60mm lenses too suffer from some distortion and they are high quality lenses — probably better than nikons lenses I must say!
Between Nikon and Canon, I'd say Canon make the better lenses as I've yet to use a Nikon lens that wasn't free of distortion — that is why I had thought about the 6D as a full framed camera choice as it will come with an L zoom lens, it was the body spec that final made me go for the D600. Oh, and just as an extra bit of info, I've owned the D50, D90 and now the D600 so I've had some experience of Nikon kit lenses.
Cheers, Macjim.

When I first entered the world of DSLR photography, which was all of 6 or 7 yrs ago (before that it was just pocket cameras), I was amazed at what was out there to be had and just how careful you had to be in making your choices, if you are on a budget like me and no doubt, many others. I was advised by my brother (40+ yrs of experience by comparison), not to fall into the traps he did on his learning curve so I got off on a relatively good footing, but, like any guy, I too thought I knew better at times and tried some of these cheaper lenses. Some of them did produce some almost stunning shots at times and even my brother agreed with me that they can surprise. However, at other times they can truly disappoint also, and yet even further times, you may not get to realize the best a lens can offer. I think the trouble is that cheaper lenses are just not made to perform to the highest levels and like in any other hobby, you can get the best and also get budget stuff, which is great for the consumer, but until you start getting better stuff, you may not realize just how good things can get. There are better lenses out there than what I have got but I too have a budget and although I wish I could get "Thee very best", unfortunately I have to be realistic. I just can't afford them...

As far as barrelling and pincushioning goes, its so hard to truly get light coming through a circular lens onto a flat 2 dimensional surface (your sensor) without being distorted, as a matter of fact it's impossible, simply by physics. Lens curvature vs sensor placement is a matter of each manufacturers best guess or should I say best compromise. Light coming through a lens is of a 3 dimensional nature and so is the lens (element) itself. The sensor is 2 dimensional (flat) and something has to give, and you'll always get a certain amount of distortion, no matter how you adjust their placement in regards to each other. The distance between the sensors flat surface to parts of the lens differs in length from side to centre then back out to the other side of each surface so the image coming in has to crunch up or spread out, depending on the lens placement (or its focal length) and when you can adjust the focal length (as in zoom lenses), you are automatically shifting that relationship between glass and sensor so you get differring distortions... Barrelling mostly at lower focal and pincushioning at higher focal lengths,, mostly... Sometimes lenses are made to take advantage of this distortion,, lower focal length - wide angle of fisheye lenses...!!!

I sort of just accept this distortion as a necessary evil,, and if I have to, Photosh*p is there to correct it. A lot of what you see in your final image is already digitally altered by the cameras software anyway. That's what firmware is all about... I no longer worry about it and believe that a little too much emphasis is placed on it, but then again, I'd hate to see it running rampant in all lenses - Compromise - there's always give on one hand and take on the other... That's the best way to do it...!!!

I'm no expert though...

Rick M

I'm working my way away from zooms, blown away by the quality I'm getting with primes. I just got the 50mm 1.8G and 28mm 1.8G, next will be the 85 1.8G. I started out with the kit 24-85 vr as I needed something right away, and it performs well, but the primes really shine!

Belo

I'm working my way away from zooms, blown away by the quality I'm getting with primes. I just got the 50mm 1.8G and 28mm 1.8G, next will be the 85 1.8G. I started out with the kit 24-85 vr as I needed something right away, and it performs well, but the primes really shine!

I am pretty interested to know which one of the two you use the most?

CalifJewls

I'm feeling the same way, I adore my 50mm 1.8G and will buy the 85mm 1.8G in the next few days, with the 28mm 1.8G as my next lens after that.. With that said, the 24-85mm ED VR has taken some nice shots too..

friedmud

I just got a D600 (switched from Canon where I had a 7D) and bought it with the 50mm 1.8G (which is awesome!) and the 24-70G (which is also awesome... but really heavy).

The images coming out of both totally blow me away!

I think my next purchase will be the new 70-200 f/4. I had the Canon version on my 7D and loved it... it was a sad day when I sold it to get the D600...