D600 shutter replacement news

Rick M

Sounds like I'll wait. Mine was never really bad and continues to improve. The thought of a new shutter is appealing but not at the risk of a worse situation.

hrphotography

It basically means nothing new except for Nikon officially acknowledging the problem. I doubt they have found a permanent fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluebear

Well, I've just sent mine off to Nikon UK today, as there were stubborn spots on the sensor. Let's see what happens. At least with the UK weather being what it is currently, I'm not going to miss the camera for a while!

ajsorrell

Kinda of interesting: I bought my camera in China and input the serial number on the US Nikon website. It recognizes it and allows me the option to send in my camera. I'm debating sending it in while in the US this summer. On the other hand, I have gotten pretty good at cleaning the sensor myself (4 times done) and the oil spots seem to be getting smaller and less frequent.

DraganDL

It basically means nothing new except for Nikon officially acknowledging the problem. I doubt they have found a permanent fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you think so ("...I doubt they have found a permanent fix")? If it is a shutter related issue (oil being dispersed from it), and it's been plaguing D600 (while, allegedly not a D610, which is equipped with the new version of shutter), then replacing the shutter with it's new version looks like a perfect cure to me...

dmc

What makes you think so ("...I doubt they have found a permanent fix")? If it is a shutter related issue (oil being dispersed from it), and it's been plaguing D600 (while, allegedly not a D610, which is equipped with the new version of shutter), then replacing the shutter with it's new version looks like a perfect cure to me...

Seems logical.

VectorZ

I thought I read somewhere that the two were not interchangeable, but I don't know that for a fact. So unless they have a newer version of a new shutter mechanism it is an effort in futility. I know, I had two new shutters installed and it did nothing to solve the problem.

I am loving my D610 though, take this two minute exposure, if this was my D600 I'd have to clone out 20-40 spots in Lightroom. Now there are NONE!
500px / Palouse Falls by Ethan Abelov

hrphotography

Well, lets see...nikon has been replacing the shutter since early part of 2013, with my experience (after 3 shutter replacement, over a period of 12 months), the problem was not fixed and the spots returned very soon.
This service advisory was likely released because of over whelming complaints and "possible" risk of a law suit. Does Nikon has a "cure" now?....its possible but i "doubt" it :)
Changing the D600 shutter with a D610 shutter was a very simple and obvious thing to do, starting from the time when they made D610, but it didnt happen....for some reason.... ???

chipotle

I have had my shutter changed in the UK. I got my camera back on Monday this week. I fired of a lot of shots to test the repair. Result.....come Wednesday spots and waiting forNikon to contact the store that I purchased the D600 from. I put one lens on and left it on to negate any dust getting in from changes. This was the second time Nikon has fixed it since I bought it around six months ago.

Bluebear

I have had my shutter changed in the UK. I got my camera back on Monday this week. I fired of a lot of shots to test the repair. Result.....come Wednesday spots and waiting forNikon to contact the store that I purchased the D600 from. I put one lens on and left it on to negate any dust getting in from changes. This was the second time Nikon has fixed it since I bought it around six months ago.

Sounds like I shouldn't hope for much apart from an initially clean sensor, then!

DraganDL

@janathan: :(I understand now - I expected (and still do) our beloved company to be at least as kind as to fix it's blunders (since it wasn't capable of preventing them to occur). Sadly - it is but true that the Nikon's quality control of the "output", which sometime ago used to be on the highest possible level, has gone down the drain...

MrRamonG

Nikon Technical Service Advisory for D600

I received this notice from Nikon, presumably because I registered my D600 with Nikon. However, I no longer have my D600 because Best Buy replaced it with D610. In any case, I thought some of you could use this news.

<<BEGIN NOTICE>>

TECHNICAL SERVICE ADVISORY FOR USERS OF THE NIKON D600 DIGITAL SLR CAMERA
D600.png
Dear Ramon,
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photography needs.

Nikon Inc. is contacting you regarding your D600 D-SLR camera. As you may be aware, Nikon Inc. recently issued a Technical Service Advisory for Users of the Nikon D600 D-SLR camera.

This Advisory related that some users of Nikon&#146;s D600 D-SLR camera have reported the appearance of tiny spots on certain of their images. Not all users have experienced this issue. Nikon has thoroughly evaluated these reports and has determined that these spots are caused by dust particles which may become visible when the camera is used in certain circumstances and/or with certain settings. It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used. As part of its customer-service commitment, Nikon is providing a customer-service measure to reduce the potential impact of dust particles on images taken by its D600 D-SLR cameras.

Nikon has resolved this by making available to you (even if Nikon&#146;s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, FREE OF CHARGE as well as the cost of shipping your D600 camera to Nikon and its return to you. Once again, please understand that regardless of this service, your D600 camera as is the case with all D-SLR cameras, will continue to require normal periodic sensor cleanings.
To have your D600 serviced free of charge:
smHorizontalRule.jpg

1. Click on the Schedule Free Repair Service link below.
  2. On the following pages, you will need to provide the serial number of your D600 camera and your contact information.
  3. Next, you will be prompted to create and print your Pre-paid UPS Return label and packing slip.
  4. In shipping, please secure the D600 camera in a plastic bag inside the shipping box with several inches of quality packing material on all sides of the D600 camera. Please send your D600 camera and packing slip only. Do not include any batteries, memory cards or other accessories. Please do not ship in the original display box (It will not be returned).
  5. Drop the shipping box off at any UPS facility. (Visit https://www.ups.com/dropoff for hours and locations.) You may also arrange to have your shipment collected by a UPS driver.
<<END NOTICE>>

BackdoorArts

Re: Nikon Technical Service Advisory for D600

Thanks. A little late to the party as there are a couple threads like this already, but thanks for the heads up.

Keoki

From what I understand, the D600 has a defective shutter that was redesigned and put into the new improved D610. They aren't interchangeable. My D600 is on its way back from it's 3rd visit to the Nikon repair center. I doubt the problem is fixed, and yes I can send it back again, but why did I spend a lot of money for a camera the is in the shop more than in my hands. I just got back from San Diego with no photos.

jrleo33

From what I understand, the D600 has a defective shutter that was redesigned and put into the new improved D610. They aren't interchangeable. My D600 is on its way back from it's 3rd visit to the Nikon repair center. I doubt the problem is fixed, and yes I can send it back again, but why did I spend a lot of money for a camera the is in the shop more than in my hands. I just got back from San Diego with no photos.

Nikon has resolved this by making available to you (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, FREE OF CHARGE as well as the cost of shipping your D600 camera to Nikon and its return to you. Once again, please understand that regardless of this service, your D600 camera as is the case with all D-SLR cameras, will continue to require normal periodic sensor cleanings.

My D600 arrived at the Nikon Service Center in LA today, and I am hoping the new shutter replacement and related parts are the same shutter that is in the D610. We shall see if the related parts makes the two shutters interchangeable.

nikonpup

nikon has resolved this by making available to you (even if nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, free of charge as well as the cost of shipping your d600 camera to nikon and its return to you. Once again, please understand that regardless of this service, your d600 camera as is the case with all d-slr cameras, will continue to require normal periodic sensor cleanings.

My d600 arrived at the nikon service center in la today, and i am hoping the new shutter replacement and related parts are the same shutter that is in the d610. We shall see if the related parts makes the two shutters interchangeable.
lets us know the turn around time, hope it is not the 6 weeks that i have read in some 600 posts.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

That is not what I've heard. I've read that the problem came from some kind of inside finish or tape that kind of dampened the mirror. This tape started flaking and did get stuck between shutter blades. Now before they realized what this had caused, they started cleaning and replacing this tape, but... there were still some pieces of "stuff" between shutter blades and the dust (particles) were getting back on the other side of the shutter after some actuations. This is why I think the phenomena was amplified by those who were shooting high frame per second burst often. The mirror flapping was just shoveling the stuff back.

A Canadian Nikon rep told me that the shutter blades that are used in the D610 is basically the same as the one in the D600. Having known this person for a while, I'm inclined to believe him.

Now, problems to arise with any human made things. We've had bridge collapsing, Nuclear plants go bezerk, all kinds of problems and recalls with cars, so we should keep a little bit of perspective with this one. But, this didn't excuse Nikon Service Centers to treat their customers the way they did. On this last point, they are 125% wrong all the way.