D600 shutter replacement news

mr2_serious

There were/are fundamentally two distinct problems, that I could discern.
1. One was a dust problem.
2. The other was apparently an oil problem whereby oil is splashed onto the sensor when fired in continuous modes...

Problem number 1 could/did exacerbate problem number 2...

Mine is a refurbed 600 and I've experienced no problems... and I'm wondering if I should send in my camera or NOT...:(

You will get a free sensor cleaning :p

tmcguire17

And I parrot what backdoorhippie is saying it is NOT dust. After the shutter replacement and 1000 clicks their are about 100 transparent circular spots starting upper left of the image and covering the sensor. Nothing that looks like dust.

mr2_serious

Cool. Just got this email as I was reading this thread:

TECHNICAL SERVICE ADVISORY FOR USERS OF THE NIKON D600 DIGITAL SLR CAMERA
knBB054qZqcHlECoJmCzopD_mLBWB7aW9Q0l1_elJDuWWArGRiN902HTzrOBvjDCg6njR3Wn7squrvL9eZTEyQ6pKNa8M3acCgAVEppyy2sxmm6USw=s0-d-e1-ft
Dear William,
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photography needs.

Nikon Inc. is contacting you regarding your D600 D-SLR camera. As you may be aware, Nikon Inc. recently issued a Technical Service Advisory for Users of the Nikon D600 D-SLR camera.

This Advisory related that some users of Nikon’s D600 D-SLR camera have reported the appearance of tiny spots on certain of their images. Not all users have experienced this issue. Nikon has thoroughly evaluated these reports and has determined that these spots are caused by dust particles which may become visible when the camera is used in certain circumstances and/or with certain settings. It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used. As part of its customer-service commitment, Nikon is providing a customer-service measure to reduce the potential impact of dust particles on images taken by its D600 D-SLR cameras.

Nikon has resolved this by making available to you (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, FREE OF CHARGE as well as the cost of shipping your D600 camera to Nikon and its return to you. Once again, please understand that regardless of this service, your D600 camera as is the case with all D-SLR cameras, will continue to require normal periodic sensor cleanings.
To have your D600 serviced free of charge:
n3WKRgGmYZ7hNugRAm_746gRDyru1eD2ZcQGvxfPd6yrcOibgAafGx6XSsqfebgZlaK_Jox89w4TB1Xho6LRKy6BYGk5yEf7fIwvbQP5zNPiYtOFanNMq1JwE-95YEja7QpTwcamzng=s0-d-e1-ft

1. Click on the Schedule Free Repair Service link below.
  2. On the following pages, you will need to provide the serial number of your D600 camera and your contact information.
  3. Next, you will be prompted to create and print your Pre-paid UPS Return label and packing slip.
  4. In shipping, please secure the D600 camera in a plastic bag inside the shipping box with several inches of quality packing material on all sides of the D600 camera. Please send your D600 camera and packing slip only. Do not include any batteries, memory cards or other accessories. Please do not ship in the original display box (It will not be returned).
  5. Drop the shipping box off at any UPS facility. (Visit https://www.ups.com/dropoff for hours and locations.) You may also arrange to have your shipment collected by a UPS driver.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality cameras and components, and we hope that you will continue to choose Nikon for your photography needs.

Contact
For more information regarding this matter, contact Nikon Customer Relations by phone at 1-800-Nikon US (1-800-645-6687), 9AM–8PM EST, Monday to Friday (closed certain holidays) or online here.

Sincerely,
Nikon Service

tmcguire17

Damn! Bastards owe me a shipping fee! :) Rick M. Mine took about 6 days to turn around (quite fast) I can only imagine that they are going to be INUNDATED after the email.

NVSteve

And I parrot what backdoorhippie is saying it is NOT dust. After the shutter replacement and 1000 clicks their are about 100 transparent circular spots starting upper left of the image and covering the sensor. Nothing that looks like dust.

My first body had so many spots that I had to wet clean it before every use. It was not dust. 5 swabs per cleaning to get the sensor clean does not constitute merely dust. My second body had it in the beginning, but it's pretty much spot free at this point. I'll have to check this weekend, although I am not fully convinced that replacing the shutter will fix the issue as many other people have reported having the shutter replaced only to see spots again.

NVSteve

Are you implying that the D600 is improperly sealed? Do you have any evidence of this other than Nikon going to "D800 style body seals" on the D610?

How is the D610 sealed any differently than the D600?

From the Nikon product page for the D600: "Also, various points of the body are effectively sealed to attain superior dust-prevention and weather-resistant performance equivalent to that of the D800 series."

BackdoorArts

Here is the exact notice, and as HR photography said it doesn't always fix the problem. Don Kuykendall: Nothing is going to fix the resell value! The resolution of the problem being the D610 introduced before the D600 was even 1 yr old was the death of the D600 value FOREVER.
From Nikon:
Dear Timothy,

Nikon Inc. is contacting you regarding your D600 D-SLR camera, serial number 30xxxxx. As you may be aware, Nikon Inc. recently issued a Technical Service Advisory regarding the Nikon D600 D-SLR camera. This Advisory related that some users of Nikon’s D600 D-SLR camera have reported the appearance of tiny spots on certain of their images. Not all users have experienced this issue. Nikon has thoroughly evaluated these reports and has determined that these spots are caused by dust particles which may become visible when the camera is used in certain circumstances and/or with certain settings. It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses, and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used. As part of its customer-service commitment, Nikon is providing a customer-service measure to reduce the potential impact of dust particles on images taken by its D600 D-SLR cameras.

The customer-service measure mentioned in this Advisory has already been performed on your D600 camera, serial number 30xxxxx, which included the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, during your camera’s recent service. In these circumstances, your D600 camera, serial number 30xxxxx, is not affected by this Advisory, and it is not necessary for you to send this D600 camera to Nikon for this service.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality cameras and components, and we hope that you will continue to choose Nikon for your photography needs.

I just want to make sure I read this correctly. This is your reply after requesting service on a camera that has already been in for repair once, saying, essentially, "No way, fella. You've already had your replacement. It's fixed, regardless of what you're seeing."?

That's troubling, beyond belief. Most folks who have had to send theirs in have had to do so multiple times. I was actually going to pick up the phone and call Customer Service and ask specifically about cases like mine, where it would be a 3rd time in. I suspect they're getting all the calls they can handle.

My question to you, Timothy, is were you sending it in as a precautionary thing or because you have spots? I've you've got spots then I'd call the Customer Service number and raise hell. A camera isn't "fixed" until it's fixed. This is simply a white wash for PR purposes, saying that everyone gets one shot at a replacement. I had to raise a stink on my second warranty repair, but eventually got them to take it.

Thankfully this is the current dust reference pic - shot at f/22 of a white piece of paper with manual focus at the minimum and run into LR's Spot Removal Tool with "Visualize Spots" turned on (fastest tool to check - white specs are dust). Even spread of dust says it's just that, and it's been a good 8 weeks and a 7000 shots since the last cleaning.

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 11.57.39 AM.jpg

BackdoorArts

How is the D610 sealed any differently than the D600?

From the Nikon product page for the D600: "Also, various points of the body are effectively sealed to attain superior dust-prevention and weather-resistant performance equivalent to that of the D800 series."

There's a quote in the D610 Press Release (linked several times in other threads here) that quote that the sealing was upgraded to be the same as the D800. The D600 promised "equivalent performance". What the heck they changed, if anything, is anyone's guess, but outside of speculation I've never heard issues that can be accurately attributed to the D600's sealing.

And just so I'm clear with the dust photo above, that's over 7000 shots and probably 30-40 lens changes in all sorts of cold, dry and static-filled conditions. Yes, the sensor is dirty - with normal dirt that I get on every camera I have. I've only had to treat about 5 spots in post in the last month, and they were all on high structure HDR shots. I don't notice these on any of my normal shots. For what it's worth, here's the same dust reference shot taken at f/6.3. Not a spec visible. Like I said, dust is normal.

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 12.09.37 PM.jpg

tmcguire17

Bacdoorhippie: I just recieved mine back 2wks ago. Thus just their letter advising of the service issue. I can send it back if necessary and I will next week. The shutter replacement didnt fix it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Razpewton

So far, I haven't noticed any spots and I'm the photographer at a dirt track. I'm not sure if I should send it in or wait until I have any issues. Hate to miss out on a possible free shutter upgrade.

49.jpg

Last edited:

jrleo33

As a world-wide community, look at what the Nikonite's D600 Forums has helped accomplish with today's (Nikon's Technical Service Advisory for the D600.) Good job for all who have contributed input.

I believe anyone who received the D600 NTSA should send their Camera in for the service. I can't believe Nikon would commit to the huge expenditure associaed with this recall, and not completely fix the dust and lubricant issues, plus providing a higher degree of weather sealing for the D600. I don't think Nikon wants these 600s to come back for service with the same problems this recall addresses. Of course, I am using logic, versus Nicon's bottom line, and who knows?

Once Nikon completes this recall service, I believe D600 owner's will have an additional degree of insurance, if the same oil and dust issues show up again; as Nikon will have to pay for two-way shipping and service the camera for no cost.

I am including a JPEG drawing of the filter arrangement that lay on top of the sensor. The text shows this filter stack is for the D800, but was reading this same stack is used for the D600. I cannot substantiate this claim. The first yellow low-pass filter is the one where dust, and or oil, accumulates. I am not sure which filter was removed from the D800E stack.

img_30.png

Is anyone aware if the D610 is having any of these dust and oil issues?

Mark F

Since they are effectively saying that serial number xxxxxx has been fixed when you sent it in last time.... I wonder if they will honor their pledge that you'll get free service, warrantee or not, if the problem is still happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

I am including a JPEG drawing of the filter arrangement that lay on top of the sensor. The text shows this filter stack is for the D800, but was reading this same stack is used for the D600. I cannot substantiate this claim. The first yellow low-pass filter is the one where dust, and or oil, accumulates. I am not sure which filter was removed from the D800E stack.

View attachment 74837

Is anyone aware if the D610 is having any of these dust and oil issues?

No universal issues of any kinds reported on the D610 (I'm sure someone has had something).

As for the filter stack, the D800e has the second low pass filter (pink) removed and replaced with what is essentially the reverse of the first low pass filter (yellow). This reverses the diffraction caused by the first (like shooting light through a pair of prisms: white -> full spectrum -> white). In the D7100 I believe they've fully removed all low pass filters from the stack.

VectorZ

I had three services, including two shutter replacements and even after that it would foul the sensor with less than 100 shots. My new 610 has more than 1000 clicks and no issues so far...

BackdoorArts

The way I read it they will replace it once. After that you have 90 days warranty on the replacement and would need to detect a problem and send it back within that period or it's no longer their problem.