D600 shutter replacement news

BackdoorArts

The reason why I'm asking is that the rep made it very clear that I should strip everything off my D600 before sending it in, except for the body cap. I thought that was rather strange if they're going to send a complete new-in-box D610 - unless they know that they'll simply get tossed and therefore would rather see them go to good use, or at least wind up in a drawer somewhere else. LOL

We'll find out soon enough. The only way I could see it being something other than the new box is if Nikon anticipated the need for replacement packages and put together minimal kits with just the body, book, warranty slip (I'm assuming the replacement body is now under warranty). But that seems a bit extreme, and likely more expensive than throwing in the accessories.

Rick M

I seem to be missing a whole page of posts in this thread. Anyway, I believe it comes with a one year warranty. That is an interesting thought Jake if it will be a minimalist package.

BackdoorArts

Well, I just got the notification that Nikon received my D600 (UPS delivered on Friday) and when I checked the status it says, "Product Replaced". The other one is listed as "Shop" since Friday, but from past experience I know that it is usually still listed as "Shop" until it actually goes out. Fingers crossed that they both find their way back here tomorrow - Wednesday at the latest.

BackdoorArts

Spoke with the folks at Nikon this morning so I knew whether or not I needed to have someone home today to wait for brown since the return packages usually require signatures. Here's what I found out.

1. My second D600 has been in "shop" since Friday but only got finished this morning and is now on its way to shipping. It could go out today, and if not tomorrow for Thursday delivery.
2. The D610 that's coming for the D600 that has been listed as "Product Replaced" since this weekend has not yet shipped and may take "7 to 10 business days" to be sent out.

The rep could not tell me whether there were sufficient D610's on site to meet whatever current demand they had, but the fact that it was not listed as "waiting for stock" on her system was probably a good sign. I asked about whether I would be receiving a full D610 package and she said that while she had no official confirmation on this her understanding was that it was simply just the body that would be shipped. When asked about warranty on the new body I was told that it would be a 6 month warranty.

I've got the direct number to the rep I spoke with last Thursday and I may follow up later today since I have something going on this weekend that I'd love to have the D610 for, so I'll use that as an excuse for "checking". :)

oldhippy

Jake or anyone out there.
what is the process for getting updates on you camera progress at Nikon.
do you have to go to your account at Nikon, or what. Ed

Fred Kingston

They send you an email acknowledging receipt of your camera with a work order number. The email has a link to a page, with another link to "check the status"... It prompts for the first two letters of your last name, the work order number, and then your email address... then takes you to a screen about your camera... some fields are blank... like the tracking number, because they obviously haven't shipped it back yet... the status shows as a title and isn't fairly obvious... but changes when it goes from "processing" to "shipped"...

They also mail(snail mail) a Copy of the Invoice to you showing the initial entry, and projected costs, and reasons...

Quite frankly... coming from a large corporate accounting background in computers... their accounting/paper trail/invoicing systems looks pretty juvenile...

Fred Kingston

Just got my D600 back... first time in to Nikon (this camera was a refurb purchased thru a dealer)... I'd say, when I tested for dust, it was pretty bad.

The "Invoice Repair"... <-- really, a "Work Order" indicates

RPL Shutter Mechanism
6 repeating lines... "Related Parts"
CLN LOW PASS FILTER
GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

Just fired off a bunch of test shots at f22 at the sunny Florida sky....
Everything appears perfect.

The camera has been reset.... now I get to go back thru all my settings to set the camera up again...:D

Fred Kingston

arrrrghhhh!!!!

Be prepared... If you've used a target to Fine-Tune and adjust for all your lense's front/back focus.... guess what... It gets wiped clean... and you get to start over... You might want to go in, and record all the settings... :(

NVSteve

When asked about warranty on the new body I was told that it would be a 6 month warranty.

Unless it's a refurb, they should be offering the same warranty as a new one. I guess it's better than nothing, but it certainly doesn't inspire confidence in their products if they can't give the full warranty on a brand new body (in theory).

BackdoorArts

OK, so Brown rang the doorbell 15 minutes ago and when I answered they had 3 boxes!! I was expecting 2, my D600 and a cigar order (one needs to celebrate regularly), and a 3rd also from Melville, NY!! Believe it or not, I opened the mystery box last and in it was a New In Box D610 - so that mystery is solved. I am going to ping my rep and thank him for expediting its shipping (even if he didn't) and ask about the warranty. I have been told by anonymous sources that it is the same warranty as a new camera, but I just want to make sure.

Now I just need to make it through the work day so I can check everything out.

BackdoorArts

Wow, they sent you a shiny new D610 and your D600. That's interesting. Time for a 5 min work break???

Just to be clear, I sent two D600's to them, one for repair and one for replacement, and got the serviced one back (which I'd been notified had shipped) and the replacement body (which I was told could take 10 business days) in a single shipment w/ 2 boxes. They kept the body I sent for replacement.

And no, I've already had enough breaks today talking to you guys!! LOL

Krs_2007

Hate to revive this almost a year later, but curious if anyone has sent there 600 in recently. I sent mine in back in Jan of this year, it was out of warranty, they fixed and sent back and now the spots are back. Just printed the label to send it in again.

-Kevin

Fred Kingston

If I'm not mistaken... they weren't 'replacing' the shutter boxes as a first attempt... just cleaning... I think they were replacing the shutters after the first go-around didn't resolve the problem... Maybe, after they get the camera, and before they actually do anything, you can intercept the process on the phone, and ensure that this is a second attempt, and you'll be looking for a 'replacement'... I really should test mine to see how bad it is now... :culpability:

Krs_2007

If I'm not mistaken... they weren't 'replacing' the shutter boxes as a first attempt... just cleaning... I think they were replacing the shutters after the first go-around didn't resolve the problem... Maybe, after they get the camera, and before they actually do anything, you can intercept the process on the phone, and ensure that this is a second attempt, and you'll be looking for a 'replacement'... I really should test mine to see how bad it is now... :culpability:

Yea, just got back from shooting a lot of baseball, took some scenic shots and wam there they are. The first time they did replace the shutter and slew of other parts. I posted a pic on here a while back, need to dig up the invoice.