D4 Refurb, is Roberts camera reliable?

AxeMan - Rick S.

If I bought a refurbished D4 with 21000 clicks I would be.......well the only word I could use here is UPSET.

Ok, they offered to send you out another "refurbished" D4 and they are going to check the shutter count. I would suggest before they send it out to you they tell you what the shutter count is. Knowing what the shutter count is you can then decide which route you want to take.

Corey @ Faymus Media

If I bought a refurbished D4 with 21000 clicks I would be.......well the only word I could use here is UPSET.

Ok, they offered to send you out another "refurbished" D4 and they are going to check the shutter count. I would suggest before they send it out to you they tell you what the shutter count is. Knowing what the shutter count is you can then decide which route you want to take.

Yea I can agree with that. This was my request on the phone and they agreed. At this point I am about to say I am going to buy new, just to be safe.

Corey @ Faymus Media

So Roberts made good on the deal. I ended up get a 32GB XQD card "S" series 168mbps and the reader usb3 for free! Thats a $300 value so not too bad. Camera is brand spankin new, and only 4 shutter actuations from the factory. AWESOME!!

Corey @ Faymus Media

Nothing like a happy ending :)

Yup! Here is a picture of the bad boy :)

IMG_8241.jpgrow

Billy Y.

Wow you sure do have everything covered, great ideas too. I heard Nikon is supposed to, (according to Thom Hogan)come out with a D400 & a D4x this August. The D4x will most likely be a D800 sensor beefed up and tweaked. The D400 is going to be interesting because it's going to have to be better than the D7100 yet not effect the D800 sales interesting times ahead.

I am actually really curious about the D4x rumors, as it seems like with the D800 and the D4, Nikon has choosen to go into 2 different pro lines to keep their pro shooters happy. It wouldn't make sense to put out a D4x with a sensor that goes up against the d800 as they wouldn't sell any at the higher price. If you look back at the D3, they took the D3 sensor and stuck it right into the D700 - then they made a pro landscape camera with a completely new 24 meg sensor (D3x) and later released the D3 again as the D3s with a reworked sensor and better buffer + some video. At one year old I can't see them doing anything in the D4 range, uneless it has to do with better video, but I could be wrong... I think it happened once before.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I spoke to a guy in nikon HQ last week and there is a D400 coming. There will be a D4x coming as well. Don't know when tho.

The D400 - 24mp, possible (61af points, 39 cross type) buffer that is similar to the D300s which is much better than the D7100. Better construction, weather sealed, aperture in live view issue fixed.

D4x - 40mp sensor with a 6fps burst, better video (rumored 2.5k) and clean hdmi out and improved buffer over the D800, no anti aliasing filter, wireless transmitter built in, USB3.0, built in GPS.

However he seemed very unsure of the species for the D4x and said the D4x will be a better sensor than the D800.

Billy Y.

40 mp would be a bad idea in an expensive pro body. especially when you have the best sensor ever tested (DxoMark D800e) available for $26-2800. It's only 4 mp better which is really peanuts at that resolution, and this article right here (written by people smarter than me) has a few interesting points - Do Sensors

They provide A LOT of info here but it seems 35mm digital does have its limits -
You have all the data at hand, but take the green-yellow light and f/8-f/11 aperture values as a reference. It represents a realistic, not too demanding case. Consider a 35mm system with a lens at f/11. At best, the maximum resolution you will get is equivalent to 16 MP, even if your camera has 22 or 25 MP. In the case of an APS-C based system the limit goes to 7 MP, and 4 MP considering a Four Thirds format. Stopping down to f/22 the limit of the effective resolution of the 35mm based system goes to 4 MP!See again the Figure 2: the lens limits the resolution of the 5 microns pixel based system with an aperture of f/22, but it is also the case for f/16, f/11 or even f/8. That pixel pitch leads to a 10 MP Four Thirds sensor, a 15 APS-C sensor, a 35 MP sensor of 35mm format and a 70 MP sensor of 36x48mm dimension. Compare now those numbers with the values presented in Table 3. Only for highly corrected lenses (with better performance at f/5.6 than f/8) do higher sensor resolutions make sense. For instance, you can put 60 million of pixels into a 35mm sensor, but only a diffraction-limited lens at f/5.6 would take advantage of it. The price to pay is in the form of huge files, and comparatively low signal to noise ratios (which translates to noise, narrower dynamic range, poorer tonal variability… see, for instance, the Olympus E-3 reviews at dpreview.com and at The Luminous Landscape). The only alternative way for more detail is more capture surface, this is, a larger format, but aberrations are harder to control for larger light circles

Sambr

40 mp would be a bad idea in an expensive pro body. especially when you have the best sensor ever tested (DxoMark D800e) available for $26-2800. It's only 4 mp better which is really peanuts at that resolution, and this article right here (written by people smarter than me) has a few interesting points - Do Sensors

They provide A LOT of info here but it seems 35mm digital does have its limits -
You have all the data at hand, but take the green-yellow light and f/8-f/11 aperture values as a reference. It represents a realistic, not too demanding case. Consider a 35mm system with a lens at f/11. At best, the maximum resolution you will get is equivalent to 16 MP, even if your camera has 22 or 25 MP. In the case of an APS-C based system the limit goes to 7 MP, and 4 MP considering a Four Thirds format. Stopping down to f/22 the limit of the effective resolution of the 35mm based system goes to 4 MP!See again the Figure 2: the lens limits the resolution of the 5 microns pixel based system with an aperture of f/22, but it is also the case for f/16, f/11 or even f/8. That pixel pitch leads to a 10 MP Four Thirds sensor, a 15 APS-C sensor, a 35 MP sensor of 35mm format and a 70 MP sensor of 36x48mm dimension. Compare now those numbers with the values presented in Table 3. Only for highly corrected lenses (with better performance at f/5.6 than f/8) do higher sensor resolutions make sense. For instance, you can put 60 million of pixels into a 35mm sensor, but only a diffraction-limited lens at f/5.6 would take advantage of it. The price to pay is in the form of huge files, and comparatively low signal to noise ratios (which translates to noise, narrower dynamic range, poorer tonal variability… see, for instance, the Olympus E-3 reviews at dpreview.com and at The Luminous Landscape). The only alternative way for more detail is more capture surface, this is, a larger format, but aberrations are harder to control for larger light circles

I agree even 36mp is lots -too much in most instances. I find my D4 produces outstanding results for 99% of my shooting.The D800 I use if I really want some super detail or If I know I will be cropping heavily.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I spoke to a guy in nikon HQ last week and there is a D400 coming. There will be a D4x coming as well. Don't know when tho.

The D400 - 24mp, possible (61af points, 39 cross type) buffer that is similar to the D300s which is much better than the D7100. Better construction, weather sealed, aperture in live view issue fixed.

D4x - 40mp sensor with a 6fps burst, better video (rumored 2.5k) and clean hdmi out and improved buffer over the D800, no anti aliasing filter, wireless transmitter built in, USB3.0, built in GPS.

However he seemed very unsure of the species for the D4x and said the D4x will be a better sensor than the D800.

Tempting.

Corey @ Faymus Media

Tempting.

I agree. One can only hope.

I tested out the Nikkor 200mm f/2 today. That lens focuses faster than any other lens I have ever used and its just gorgeous! Sharp and amazing!

I also tested the 1Dx cause the salesman at b&h said it was better than the D4 and I had my 85mm 1.4G on so I told him to bring the 1Dx with the 85mm 1.2.

The canon 85mm L was loud to focus and slow! The D4 is truly a monster. Literally fast and silent autofocus just so much better.

From that combo test the D4 wins easily.

Also the D4 is lighter and the buttons and menus on the 1DX seem toy like.

Maybe it's just me but its seems canon have used great marketing on their 12 fps burst to cover up other things that suck.