D4 Refurb, is Roberts camera reliable?

Corey @ Faymus Media

"Bastards"

What do you think Sam? Should I call Roberts and tell them that they are to check all the cameras until they find one that Is zero?

Are refurbs supposed to be zero? They have a $4700 Price tag on eBay, yet it's $5500 on their website. They gave me the eBay price. Does that mean that they're different refurb models?

He said that if I buy one new he will throw in a free battery and some goodies what do you think I should do?

turbobuick86

The D5100 refurb of mine had 1,350 clicks on the meter. Not sure how I would have felt if it had 20,000, but likely less pleased. Guess it is a crapshoot unless one can verify the shutter count prior which is unlikely ordering refurb from dealer.

Corey @ Faymus Media

The D5100 refurb of mine had 1,350 clicks on the meter. Not sure how I would have felt if it had 20,000, but likely less pleased. Guess it is a crapshoot unless one can verify the shutter count prior which is unlikely ordering refurb from dealer.

Just got off the phone with Roberts camera and they are going to hand check the refurbished stock and send me one with the lowest shutter count and in the best condition.

Sambr

What do you think Sam? Should I call Roberts and tell them that they are to check all the cameras until they find one that Is zero?

Are refurbs supposed to be zero? They have a $4700 Price tag on eBay, yet it's $5500 on their website. They gave me the eBay price. Does that mean that they're different refurb models?

He said that if I buy one new he will throw in a free battery and some goodies what do you think I should do?

Personally for that kind of money I would buy new, especially if you are making your living with one. Remember they were returned or traded in for a reason. You might not want to find that reason in a middle of a shoot,

Corey @ Faymus Media

Personally for that kind of money I would buy new, especially if you are making your living with one. Remember they were returned or traded in for a reason. You might not want to find that reason in a middle of a shoot,

Yea I agree.

Did it come in a Nikon refurbished box with new manuals and such or was it a return that they just sent out to get fixed by Nikon?

It was in a grey refurbished box.

Rick M

There's no way I'd spend $4700 on any piece of electronics used. Save for new or get something else, 21,000 clicks is 2 years of shooting for me. I'd get my money back and buy new somewhere else, my impression of refurb is just slightly used, they took advantage of you. I'll bet it was a trade-in and they gave some poor sole less than 50% and made another 25-35% off you. Used equipment is a huge money maker for dealers, much larger profit margin than selling new.

Corey @ Faymus Media

There's no way I'd spend $4700 on any piece of electronics used. Save for new or get something else, 21,000 clicks is 2 years of shooting for me. I'd get my money back and buy new somewhere else, my impression of refurb is just slightly used, they took advantage of you. I'll bet it was a trade-in and they gave some poor sole less than 50% and made another 25-35% off you. Used equipment is a huge money maker for dealers, much larger profit margin than selling new.

Do you think I should send it back and then just pay a $1000 difference and get them to send me brand new? Also, he said if I buy it new he will throw in a enel18 batter free.

Sambr

Do you think I should send it back and then just pay a $1000 difference and get them to send me brand new? Also, he said if I buy it new he will throw in a enel18 batter free.

Like I quote previously yes buy the new one. Ask for a many "goodies as they will throw in, battery, cards, maybe even a RRS bracket"

Rick M

I've seen dealers rent equipment and sell it as new to the next guy. Others will buy used gear and pass it off as new, you have to be careful.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I've seen dealers rent equipment and sell it as new to the next guy. Others will buy used gear and pass it off as new, you have to be careful.

I have heard of that but was not sure if it was true. Is there a way they could say they are sending me a new one and it come with a new box (gold) and be used?

Rick M

I have heard of that but was not sure if it was true. Is there a way they could say they are sending me a new one and it come with a new box (gold) and be used?

Check the shutter count and register the serial number right away for the warranty (after testing). At that price point, I'm sure it would have been previously registered if used.

Corey @ Faymus Media

Check the shutter count and register the serial number right away for the warranty (after testing). At that price point, I'm sure it would have been previously registered if used.

So if I try to register this refurb it will most likely come up as used? If I buy new can they lie to me or if I test and register a brand new one would I be notified? Even new ones come with a small shutter count.

My D800e had 40 shutter activations and my D7100 had like 18.

Rick M

Not sure how that works, I would assume 2 people cannot register the same serial number. Yes most come with a few actuations, that's normal and probably your best indicator. I'd say anything under 100 would be normal.

It may be possible with a refurb for the serial number to be reset/numbered by the factory. There must be a way so it does not interfere with a claim by the new owner

Last edited: