Brain freeze- Snaphappy playing & learning

nikonpup

i practice on my neighbors chickens, it's hard to get a good shot they are always moving. Your picture posting is way better
now, what did you end up using for software?

snaphappy

Thanx, after the pic uploading change here I did some fiddling with photobucket and realized I can change the upload size (640x480). So now I just upload my pics to iphoto from my card and then to photobucket so I can post them here ;) Lightroom was cool to try out for the triptych and something that will interest me in the future but for now I need to work on my camera skills and eye. If I can't crop it or make slight adjustments in my iphoto then I need to get my camera out and try it again :eek:

fotojack

It always amazes me what some of you do to get your photos posted in here. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through!
I'll give you an idea of what I do to post photos:
Take card out of camera, stick in computer card reader, run them through Irfanview, save back to card.
In Quick Reply, click on Picture icon, select photos from card still in computer card reader, upload to Nikonites.....done!

snaphappy

Here in the shot below I was standing behind the closed bottom door and as you can see the lighting is hideous! Flourescent lights don't light up in this cold so the hallway was even more dark and outside was white with the snow falling. I kept my camera pointed down away from the light and used my camera flash. I really haven't used my 35mm much except for the sky shots and it's taking some getting used to for focusing manually. It's my first prime
The white Roo had escaped into the dark hallway and was on the ledge to the horse stall. I didn't focus very well and should have upped (hmm lowered?? made it a minus number) the exposure I think.

The horrid little black creature cock a doodle dooing I was just about on top of him so it's almost a macro LOL and it took 5 tries but did get him doodling. The Turkey was also pretty much macro because he was right in front of me as I crouched down. I'd fiddle and get my focus set up for one of the roos and he'd float into my way. On the plus side he's very slow so easier to focus on him :)
DSC_1832.jpg

Iso 450 35mm 0ev f2.8 1/60 it's as it came out of my camera and is horrible which is why I switched and went with pictures away from the light. Focusing on a single subject is MUCH easier LOL

Last edited:

snaphappy

Fotojack I tried Irfanview but couldn't find a Mac version. I've never tried saving to my card through my card reader I'm not sure I can. Iphoto is the photo program that comes installed on Macs so I'm most comfortable with it. It's simple but allows me to crop and play with B&W, sepia etc and trying to learn new software was too much for me to try to learn at once :)

snaphappy

Well, really hoping for help and critiques but according to critique rules can't post there.

Today I went out planning to look at WB settings since I realized I'd switched it to shade yesterday and wanted to compare Shade and Cloudy (my usual lately). Definately found cloudy made everything look blue on this darkish morning so went with shade.

Next I wanted to try out bracketing so I could compare exposures. So I put no thought at all into composition for these shots. I was purely working with focusing manually and trying to work out exposure in my head
DSC_2035.jpg

Iso 200 35mm 2ev f/3.2 1/1000 looks like the snow in the background is over exposed but I can actually see my old guys eyes
DSC_2036.jpg

Iso 200 35mm 1ev f3.2 1/2000 the background definition is better but lost definition and eyes have disappeared

So can I get definition on black/dark subjects without over exposing the whites? How should I have adjusted? This is something I've struggled with for awhile and the only time my old guys eyes are visible is if I do a close up

snaphappy

Hmm guess no help today oh well
Sun peeked out for a few mins and kids had an early dismissal day so we headed to the river park. I've been working with my 35mm the last couple days and its growing on me. I had to break out the 70-300mm though as I drove down the road and found 2 eagles side by side in a tree. Unfortunately they were just on the other side of a work area (lumber mill) so couldn't do much to compose my pics (pics posted in birds thread)
DSC_2168.jpg

iso 200 35mm -0.3ev f/13 1/500
I'm not confortable posting pics of my kids but they're always happy to give me their backs anyways :)
DSC_2128.jpg

Iso 200 35mm 0.3ev f/9 1/320
We moved farther down the river and lost our sun
DSC_2231.jpg

Iso 200 35mm 0ev f/10 1/400
DSC_2254.jpg

iso 2oo 35mm 1ev f/8
Oh oh another eagle over there on the other side of the river! can u see it?
DSC_2300.jpg

Iso 200 20mm 0ev f/10 1/400
Switched to my 70-300mm again can you see it now
DSC_2291.jpg

Iso 200 300mm 0ev f/5.6 1/1000
I guess I could have cropped and fiddled with it but I didn't bring a tripod today so not really any point
We got back to the parking lot again and realized we could still see the eagle sitting in the tree across the river
DSC_2352.jpg

Iso 200 70mm -0.3ev f/7.1 1/800
See there it is :) I love my 70-300mm
DSC_2361.jpg

Iso 200 300mm -0.3ev f5.6 1/800
Again could have cropped and fiddled but I like it just as it is and my fiddling would just muck it up

So all this manually focusing and moving myself to take pics with my 35mm has really gotten me attached to it. I wasn't thrilled at first but now that I'm using it and ignoring auto I got frustrated with my 18-55mm today and it only spent 5mins on my camera to do a couple landscapes.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmm guess no help today oh well
Sun peeked out for a few mins and kids had an early dismissal day so we headed to the river park. I've been working with my 35mm the last couple days and its growing on me. I had to break out the 70-300mm though as I drove down the road and found 2 eagles side by side in a tree. Unfortunately they were just on the other side of a work area (lumber mill) so couldn't do much to compose my pics (pics posted in birds thread)
DSC_2168.jpg

iso 200 35mm -0.3ev f/13 1/500

Nice pictures but… time for sensor cleaning. Seems you have one nasty speck on there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Rick M

Well, really hoping for help and critiques but according to critique rules can't post there.

Today I went out planning to look at WB settings since I realized I'd switched it to shade yesterday and wanted to compare Shade and Cloudy (my usual lately). Definately found cloudy made everything look blue on this darkish morning so went with shade.

Next I wanted to try out bracketing so I could compare exposures. So I put no thought at all into composition for these shots. I was purely working with focusing manually and trying to work out exposure in my head
DSC_2035.jpg

Iso 200 35mm 2ev f/3.2 1/1000 looks like the snow in the background is over exposed but I can actually see my old guys eyes
DSC_2036.jpg

Iso 200 35mm 1ev f3.2 1/2000 the background definition is better but lost definition and eyes have disappeared

So can I get definition on black/dark subjects without over exposing the whites? How should I have adjusted? This is something I've struggled with for awhile and the only time my old guys eyes are visible is if I do a close up

What program are you using for post proccessing? In LR4 you can adjust shadow detail. I usually just shoot with WB in auto since I can change the setting in LR4. This is always an issue with this type of shot. I would shoot a normal expose (0 ev) and adjust in post.

snaphappy

Ok Marcel heading to my manual for sensor cleaning. What are you seeing?

Thanx Rick that's what I was looking for. So the answer is to take the photo darker and fix shadows with computer which is what I've been doing but was wondering if I could do it by making adjustments with camera set up.

I was reading up on taking shots in snow and adjusting WB so thought I'd see if I could get better colour by fiddling

Thanx!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok Marcel heading to my manual for sensor cleaning. What are you seeing?

Thanx Rick that's what I was looking for. So the answer is to take the photo darker and fix shadows with computer which is what I've been doing but was wondering if I could do it by making adjustments with camera set up.

I was reading up on taking shots in snow and adjusting WB so thought I'd see if I could get better colour by fiddling

Thanx!

This in the sky looks like a something's on the sensor.

DSC_2168 copy.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
This in the sky looks like a something's on the sensor.

I've become so sensitive to sensor dust lately. I can't even count the number of TV shows or commercials or even photos being displayed in books that have dust showing up in the image. Once you get that dust bug it just jumps out at you whenever you see it. Kind of like when you're listening to a speaker and suddenly notice the "um..."'s and then all you seem to hear are the "um..."'s.

snaphappy

You could just be right Moab man haha And yes now that I see it I can really see it funny til you pointed it out Marcel I had no idea but I'll be looking now. I set my sensor to clean at shutdown

Nikon pup sent me a fantastic message on what to look for in the pic and also some other great hints ;) I love all the freely given help around here :cool:

I did the grey surface test and found I actually had a tiny but very hard to get off speck on my lens as well because I did the test with all my lenses just to be sure :)

Thanx all of you Todays bit of knowledge was cleaning sensor, using blowy bulby thing and taking pics of walls to check for specks :applause:

snaphappy

Ok did actually get the camera out for a minute this evening and I learned something else today....

UV filters great while walking in snow or out with critters in the barn but not good for sunset pics....
DSC_2533.jpg

iso 200 35mm 2ev f/11 1/125
DSC_2547.jpg

iso 200 35mm 2ev f/11 1/250
Ugh all that fiddling and adjusting to get the light just the way I wanted it and to come in and find rainbows everywhere

Now can we add a 3rd thing learned today. How the heck am I gonna get this UV filter off! I placed it on so gently and very careful not to overturn it but IDK maybe the lens cap going on and off or something but it is stuck on there good! I'm assuming I turn it the wrong way (righty-loosey??) like everything else on the camera but thought I should ask so I don't tighten it even more. Any suggestions? I'm thinking when I get it off I will only put it on when I'm going out somewhere dirty or in bad weather

Rexer John

I had no idea but I'll be looking now. I set my sensor to clean at shutdown

Sorry for being off topic but is this a good idea? I was going to set mine to on when I bought the camera, but didn't because I thought it might cause wear and probably wouldn't do much good anyway. Am I wrong?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You could just be right Moab man haha And yes now that I see it I can really see it funny til you pointed it out Marcel I had no idea but I'll be looking now. I set my sensor to clean at shutdown

Nikon pup sent me a fantastic message on what to look for in the pic and also some other great hints ;) I love all the freely given help around here :cool:

I did the grey surface test and found I actually had a tiny but very hard to get off speck on my lens as well because I did the test with all my lenses just to be sure :)

Thanx all of you Todays bit of knowledge was cleaning sensor, using blowy bulby thing and taking pics of walls to check for specks :applause:

That speck is not on your lens. It's on the sensor and sometimes the camera's self-cleaning at shut-down and start-up is not quite enough to remove it. You might need a "rocket blower" or "artic brush" to physically remove the particle. It's basically the static electricity emitted by the sensor that attracts the dust and make it a little hard to remove sometimes.

You can google "digital sensor cleaning" to get a lot of information about how this is done.

snaphappy

Today I learned nothing did have fun adventuring with the kids and playing with my camera
my try at bird in flight young baldy was too far for me not use a tripod but I gave it a go anyways
DSC_2562-1.jpg

iso 200 300mm 2ev f/11 1/125 Should have had a faster shutter speed??
much farther down the river
DSC_2910.jpg

iso 200 180mm 1.3ev f/5 1/320 should have stayed still...
DSC_2911.jpg

iso 200 300mm 1.3ev f/5.6 1/200
my one and only shot at this puffing and blowing deer before it took off on me
DSC_2585.jpg

iso 100 70mm 0ev f/4.5 1/250
Bet you didn't know lions ice fish...
DSC_2684.jpg

iso 100 18mm -0.7ev f/5.6 1/100 a disaster of a pic but cute anyways
Another disaster pic I had everything wrong i think :(
DSC_2657.jpg

iso 100 18mm -0.7ev f/5.6 1/100
Another disaster but yep we really are on a huge frozen lake playing in holes
DSC_2655.jpg

We found a green paradise in our snowy world! the rain (unbelievable!) made everything seem so green
DSC_2821.jpg
iso 200 35mm 0.7ev f/3.5 1/60
DSC_2819.jpg
iso 100 35mm 0.7ev f/3.5 1/60
DSC_2820.jpg
iso 200 35mm 0.7 f/3.5 1/60
Well, busy day so nothing learned except disasters happen and it sucks when they're cute :(

Last edited:

piperbarb

Ok did actually get the camera out for a minute this evening and I learned something else today....

UV filters great while walking in snow or out with critters in the barn but not good for sunset pics....

iso 200 35mm 2ev f/11 1/125

<snip>

I have always taken sunrise/sunset photos (film & digital) with the UV filter on the lens. It is not the sunrise/sunset that is the problem (UV filters are supposed to diminish the bluish cast that can arise in daylight photos because it filters out the ultraviolet which is just above the blue end of the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum), it is a matter of exposure settings.

Play around with exposure settings and where your camera is metering. I have found that every camera is different. It may take a few times before you get it right. At least you get instant results and don't have to wait for the photos to come back from processing. :)

Have fun with it, and eventually, you will get it right.