Staff member
Super Mod
DSC_0632.jpg

I liked the bright red and aged wood of the cute outhouse against all the white

I also like the
red door!

fotojack

Thanx Jack I'm here to learn and always always open possibilities :D

Well...my thinking was that the cat's expression would be the main focal point, right? So anything else in the shot would just be extraneous.....so get rid of anything that's not vital to the shot. Keep the attention focused on the main subject of the shot. :)

snaphappy

Another dark overcast day yesterday followed by whiteout snow Ughhh! I started playing with trying to brighten my snowy pics. I keep finding I have to brighten my pictures when outside even when I use the scene setting for snow so I moved out of the auto settings and tried "P" What do you think am I on the right track? These photos are completely unedited in anyway and it was quite dark yesterday
dsc_1321.jpg

Waterfowl having a play in the water and snow
dsc_1355.jpg

Snowy pups
dsc_1312.jpg

Took this hanging out my vehicle window as I waited very impatiently for my kids after school

snaphappy

This one I did play with in editing by cropping to portrait and turning it B&W. I should say that I took this and the previous 3 with my new 35mm f1.8G I put a Sigma DG UV filter on it not much to choose from locally and we have no local camera shop in town so no idea if this is a good choice or not
dsc_1305.jpg

snaphappy

A bit behind in posting, but took the kids to play up at a lake and got these.

DSC_1458.jpg

Iso 400 140mm 0ev f10 1/50 using P setting

DSC_1478.jpg

It was after school on a snowy foggy day so they're a bit dark.
iso 200 32mm 1.3 EV f/4.8 1/100 was using P setting

Last edited:

snaphappy

moon behind the fog
DSC_1748.jpg

I wish I could do better moon shots but I'll keep tryin

Photo info Iso 200 300mm ev 0 f5.6 1/160 auto focus off and using P setting

Last edited:

stmv

I recommend people taking Moon shots just for the practice of good camera control, ISO variation, Fstop, speed, etc, Usually, no moon shot is going to be framable with an DSLR (versus a telescope set up)

but, for your own fun, nice challenges. I find that just around dusk is the best time to take the shot, before the moon is almost too bight.

egg moon.jpg

snaphappy

Last night I went out to do chores and found the clouds had cleared! It was so bright out I grabbed my camera. I switched my 35mm back on because I couldn't get far enough away to use the 70-300mm I had on my camera. I fiddled and tried desparately to stay still while taking pics but to no avail
This was my best handheld pic
DSC_1788.jpg

Iso 200 35mm -0.7 Ev f/1.8 5.0 auto focus off but handheld
So I went back out fought with the very thoughtful tripod gift my 5yr old picked out for me at Christmas but so many frustrating knobs, frozen hands followed by kneeling on the snow and trying to move in crazy postions to line up my shots. I realized I need a different tripod and a remote shutter!
But most important I finally got star pics! They're not great but I'll keep trying :)
DSC_1813.jpg

Iso 200 35mm -0.7ev f1.8 5.0 auto focus off in walmart tripod and no remote shutter

DSC_1817.jpg

Iso 200 35mm -0.7ev f1.8 8.0 auto focus off using tripod and no remote shutter

DSC_1820.jpg

Iso 200 35mm -0.7ev f1.8 8.0 auto focus off in tripod and no remote shutter

Can anyone see constellations I was trying to capture or can I just see them because I took the pic

Last edited:

snaphappy

Thanx stmv That is a lovely pic! One day I'll practice enough and be able to do that :) at least that's what I tell myself...

I only have a 70-300mm but I guess I could have cropped. On this shot though I was just trying to capture the glow caused by the fog there were actually much bigger circles around it much farther out but couldn't get them. I have some other shots from the other night that I'm not happy with but maybe you can give me some pointers so I do better next time. I was very frustrated because I tried so many things but could only get definition in the moon when I zoomed in and cut out the landscape :(
DSC_1715-2.jpg

Iso 560 80mm 0ev f/9 1/30 pretty sure I left auto focus on and using P setting handheld for all these

DSC_1720-1.jpg

These 2 were from another night and same problem. I tried more things, but to no avail.
Iso 800 70mm 0Ev f'9 1/30 using P think auto focus was on for these using P setting

DSC_1773.jpg

Iso 200 1700mm -1ev f20 20.0 can't remember if I had auto focus on for this one I had it on for some others I switched it off using P setting

DSC_1776.jpg

Iso 200 86mm -1.7ev f4.5 4.0 can't remember if I had auto focus on for this one I had it on for some others I switched it off using P setting

I've only had a nikon since Jan 9th and have 3 lenses... 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G VR and 35mm f1.8G
My b-day is in 2wks so maybe someone will hear my plea for a remote shutter. :)

Last edited:

Rexer John

Nice shots and I shouldn't critique because I'm just a noob but the moon being in the centre really takes the shine off the pics, so to speak.

Only commenting because you ask what to work on to improve.

snaphappy

Rexer John do you mean my foggy moon or my 4 terrible glowing moon frustrations or both? I just learned about thirds and been trying it out but I'm not putting it to use when I should. Practice, practice, good reminders and critiques and I hope to look at this thread next year and see a growth. Noob or not thoughts and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated because thats how we learn and that's why I'm here :)

Oh Marilynne I know your frustration! It seems a simple subject but its so hard when you look at it looking perfect in your viewfinder but pics turn out looking like suns rather than moons!

Last edited:

snaphappy

Thanx fotojack! I watched read all 3 and added them to my favs so I can refer to them again. Much appreciate the links and will get my manual and go through them again so I can figure what to do for settings :) I added info to my pics so maybe that will help with critiques

Rexer John

Rexer John do you mean my foggy moon or my 4 terrible glowing moon frustrations or both?

The moon on its own is fine in the centre unless you are composing it with clouds, contrails (jet aeroplane trails) or other objects in the frame.

The moon doesn't have to be, and indeed shouldn't be, right on the cross at the rule of thirds for every shot. It all depends on the composition you chose and what you want to show the viewer. Bullseye moon shots with ground objects in the frame rarely look professional.

I understand you are looking at camera settings more than composure at the moment but it's worth thinking about.

The moon is lit directly by the sun so it's extremely bright compared to the ground after the sun has set. I've taken shots with the moon where it could easily be confused with the sun.

snaphappy

Looking forward to your moon posts piperbarb

Well it was still snowing heavily today so tried something new and left the snow to fall. I headed into my sons chicken bachelor pad and tried taking pics of uncooperative moving subjects in a small area with crappy crappy lighting. I was using my 35mm today and even though I was inside the "window" is just a thick opaque plastic and since it was a pony stall no overhead lighting so set WB to shade, turned off AF and switched between M and P settings

Was trying to get pics of my sons roos but this guy had to be right in my face thump thump thumping everytime I moved. Wish I could have captured the steam coming out of him as he breathed but didn't show in pics :(
DSC_1844.jpg

Iso 800 35mm 0ev f2.8 1/60
DSC_1925-1.jpg

Iso 800 35mm 0ev f2.8 1/60
DSC_1840-1.jpg

iso 800 35mm 0ev f/2.8 1/60
DSC_1913-1.jpg

iso 200 35mm -1ev f/2 1/250
DSC_1934-1.jpg

Iso 800 35mm 0ev f/2.8 1/60

Well, gave something other than snow a try :)

Last edited: