Bite the apple?

J-see

I just started unpacking the Mac. I have to give it to them; they do know how to present their product even while in the box.

Something as simple as connecting the power supply feels elegant. That's already a whole different experience compared to any PC I had.

J-see

Remind me to send a Crappy Christmas card to Adobe. They sure know how to make what should be a simple transfer intolerable.

At this point I'm getting very angry. I just want to get rid of the Adobe cloud rubbish on the mac and oh boy, that's mission impossible it seems. How hard can it be to uninstall something? All that jiggly stuff and such is great when I was twelve but now I just need a "KILL" button.

I give up for today. If I continue another hour, I throw the whole crap out of the window. Not a smooth experience this far.

Last edited:

J-see

I finally got LR working. Everything on Adobe is designed to push you towards the cloud. Once you have the cloud version installed, you can't use the existing serial for the standalone even when it shows in your account.

After some browsing it turned out I had to remove the cloud version, install an "update" version of LR and then activate it with my serial.

So easy and obvious Adobe, good job.

J-see

I got it working that's the important part. Now I need to find all the other stuff I used on PC in the Mac version. And then get rid of a lot of rubbish pre-installed which I will never need.

It's quite the change after that many years of PC but once you find how everything works, Mac is smooth. It took me a while to realize the touch pad uses gestures with more than one finger. I couldn't find out how to scroll until I discovered that takes two fingers.

wornish

I got it working that's the important part. Now I need to find all the other stuff I used on PC in the Mac version. And then get rid of a lot of rubbish pre-installed which I will never need.

It's quite the change after that many years of PC but once you find how everything works, Mac is smooth. It took me a while to realize the touch pad uses gestures with more than one finger. I couldn't find out how to scroll until I discovered that takes two fingers.

You can get rid of a lot of the icons on the Doc at the bottom by simply dragging and dropping them on to the desktop. They go poof !
You will also find that some apps are protected and can not be easily deleted just ignore them if you come across that issue. Apps like Calendar and Contacts are used by other apps as a source for data that the system uses so be careful what you choose.

J-see

It's very different from PC. Everything is doing fancy stuff while I'm used to "to the point and practical".

That's the main difference I am experiencing now. Apple tries to make everything act as if it's my birthday while I occasionally just wish the job to be done. It'll take some time getting used to the Mac-mindset.

wornish

It's very different from PC. Everything is doing fancy stuff while I'm used to "to the point and practical".

That's the main difference I am experiencing now. Apple tries to make everything act as if it's my birthday while I occasionally just wish the job to be done. It'll take some time getting used to the Mac-mindset.

Have a look at System Preferences it is accessed via the top left apple icon. You can choose how plain or fancy you want your user experience to be. I keep it minimal as I agree they can overdo it sometimes. Making the Doc auto hide certainly gives you more screen space and I find that useful.

J-see

Have a look at System Preferences it is accessed via the top left apple icon. You can choose how plain or fancy you want your user experience to be. I keep it minimal as I agree they can overdo it sometimes. Making the Doc auto hide certainly gives you more screen space and I find that useful.

I discovered how I can disabling the fancy things. Stuff like that is only nice a couple of times and after that, it just delays. I prefer the minimalist approach. A 15 inch screen is like being transported back to the nineties. It's very very small when you're used to a 27.

I'm waiting on an external drive I ordered before I move my shots. I'm curious how post will be on a small screen.

J-see

Btw, how do you reset a Mac? I was downloading some updates and now I notice the screen is black and there's no way I can get it to respond.

Not bad for its first day.

J-see

Power button - press and hold it to shut it off.

That's the first thing I tried but no luck. I have it working again, shift ctrl, option (had to look that up to know which button) and power. Then I pushed the power again it we're back in business.

J-see

I moved some files over to the Mac and directly discovered you need to export the catalogs, the files on themselves don't contain the edits.

I've been processing a bit and must say it is pretty good. I wondered about the tiny screen but 15 is pretty reasonable to process shots. The screen is reasonable dark compared to my other monitor or that one is too bright. I still have to check calibration and see what profile would be best to use. Now I'm just using the standard.

And it is quiet. It's an i5 vs i7 but even so, my Acer is constantly cooling and making noise while the Mac is silent regardless what I do in LR. The touchpad is also pretty good but I'm too lousy at it to be accurate. That'll take time.

J-see

Once you go Wacom....everything else just feels clumsy.

I've always used Wacom in the past and it's pretty great if you are used to it. I was looking at the Cintiqs and while they make me drool there's sadly nothing portable about them.

I ordered an Intuos which has some nice features I can use for post.

oldsalt

Good luck with it J-see I've already got a 15" Macbook Pro (big learning curve after MS)... and we are "toying" with the idea of "biting the apple" and getting the 27" set-up for our main computer... been to the apple store a few times and been overwhelmed by the sales talk from the staff... they obviously love the stuff but they do come over a bit like a rabid jehovahs witness on your doorstep !!!!
We'll see...
​cheers