Bite the apple?

wornish

if you put the DVD in your windows machine you might be able to access it from you mac via either a wireless connection if your windows PC has wireless or definitely via ethernet. The Mac will be able to mount the DVD remotely. Very clever these apple folks.

I can't remember the last time I used a DVD my cupboard is full of them !

​Welcome to the future !!

J-see

if you put the DVD in your windows machine you might be able to access it from you mac via either a wireless connection if your windows PC has wireless or definitely via ethernet. The Mac will be able to mount the DVD remotely. Very clever these apple folks.

I can't remember the last time I used a DVD my cupboard is full of them !

​Welcome to the future !!

Thanks, I'll try that first before buying a drive I will seldom use. I could maybe also download the trial version online and then use my serial to activate it.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I splurged and bought an Asus PC, and I love it. It has a great video card built in, and even (damn they're good), a DVD drive built in which is almost unheard of nowadays. It runs LR fast, and never skips a beat. I could never get what I got from an Mac for what I paid. Apple bleeds you dry up front!

Krs_2007

If you have longevity out of the device Chris then how are they bleeding you dry?

Apple controls the hardware and software to improve the experience.

as far as migrating from windows to Mac, just use the migration assistant on Mac. It will connect to your windows machine and pull over docs, PDFs, pictures and such. I would suggest using a lan cable or have them both plugged into you LAN and not wireless.

Eyelight

Generally speaking, Windows users have issues because they do things they shouldn't.

Generally speaking, Apple users have fewer issues because they can't do things they shouldn't.

So, if you need/prefer a more controlled computing experience, Apple. If you like adventure and foraying into the unknown and sometimes euphorically/abysmal depths, Windows.

Just-Clayton

I too am looking at mac this year. If my financial adviser(5'1" blond who controls the budget) allows me. I have a laptop, that is having problems. A desktop that doesn't have enough ram to run my Corel program without locking up or waiting for updates.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

@Krs_2007 - I mean MAC will bleed you dry.....they get the money upfront. For comparable devices, they charge a whole lot more. I was deadset on going MAC earlier this year, but when I compared this computer to what MAC was offering, it was a no-brainer. By the way, I get better resolution on this ASUS than a comparitively priced MAC, so I'm happy.

Krs_2007

@Krs_2007 - I mean MAC will bleed you dry.....they get the money upfront. For comparable devices, they charge a whole lot more. I was deadset on going MAC earlier this year, but when I compared this computer to what MAC was offering, it was a no-brainer. By the way, I get better resolution on this ASUS than a comparitively priced MAC, so I'm happy.

Funny you feel that way, but thats like saying Nikon or Mercedes will bleed you dry because their prices are higher up front.

I personally feel you get what you pay for. Granted I have a Lenovo IPS monitor I bought and so far so good, just need to give it more time. I can't see paying Apple 1k for a monitor or really anyone else for that fact. As far as the CPU/Laptop then I will pay the cost because longevity is better than bleeding me dry by replacing parts every year on my old PC's.

Everyone has different opinions and I am glad we all have choices.

The price is hard to swallow but so was the cost for my camera, my refrigerator, my cars and so forth.

Nero

Still using a 4 year-old HP laptop and I'm having no problems. Sure, PS can take a bit longer than I'd like to load but it's a huge program so it's not entirely the laptop's fault. No thoughts of switching yet but we'll see what happens in the future.

J-see

If I needed a desktop the choice would have been harder and the price of a PC could have affected my decision but for a laptop the price range is not that phenomenally different.

If I want a windows laptop with a high quality screen, I'm not going to find that for a couple of bucks. The Mac can cost some more but the fact that it will keep on working as time goes by is not something to be neglected. I haven't had any laptop that after 3 years of use had a tolerable working speed left. Sure maybe if I only play minesweeper but to work 3 years seems to be the max for most.

I'm willing to pay a couple more for a couple of years added.

traceyjj

My son must be really unlucky. He was given a macbook pro (on the understanding if he could fix it, he could keep it) He was lucky, it needed no parts, so he fixed it. It ran for a year then broke worse than he could deal with it. On taking it to the store to get a quote on a repair, he was mugged/robbed at knifepoint... long story short, the insurance paid up for a NEW mac. He bought a 27" iMac, which was OK until a month out of warranty, and then some small issue happened, we couldnt buy the part to repair it, so it cost mucho £s to get it repaired. Then a year later the graphics card went on it. The quote from the apple store for a repair was more than the computer was worth, so he took it to a computer repair place who SAID they could repair it. The repair lasted less than a month, and cost over £100. In the end, my hubby managed to find a new graphics card online (why is it so damn hard to buy apple parts!) and my son fixed his computer. That cost a further mucho £s for the part...

Nah, I wont be switching to Mac after seeing my sons experience. I could've bought 3 or 4 computers for the cost of his iMac!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

My son must be really unlucky. He was given a macbook pro (on the understanding if he could fix it, he could keep it) He was lucky, it needed no parts, so he fixed it. It ran for a year then broke worse than he could deal with it. On taking it to the store to get a quote on a repair, he was mugged/robbed at knifepoint... long story short, the insurance paid up for a NEW mac. He bought a 27" iMac, which was OK until a month out of warranty, and then some small issue happened, we couldnt buy the part to repair it, so it cost mucho £s to get it repaired. Then a year later the graphics card went on it. The quote from the apple store for a repair was more than the computer was worth, so he took it to a computer repair place who SAID they could repair it. The repair lasted less than a month, and cost over £100. In the end, my hubby managed to find a new graphics card online (why is it so damn hard to buy apple parts!) and my son fixed his computer. That cost a further mucho £s for the part...

Nah, I wont be switching to Mac after seeing my sons experience. I could've bought 3 or 4 computers for the cost of his iMac!

Sounds like a lot of bad luck...but point is taken. My PC repairman said he charges $50 more per hour to repair Macs simply because if you were to take one to a Mac store, THEY charge twice what an equivalent PC repair would cost. He said the market dictates that he should charge more for repairing Macs.

Whiskeyman

Whether Mac or Windows, it would behoove you to calibrate your monitor/graphics. I do, and was really surprised at the changes it made to my settings on the PC.

Now, both my Mac and PC produce prints which are more pleasing straight from the monitor than from before calibration.

​WM

J-see

I have to check that when I open the box. Mine's still unpacked.

​Now it's pretty to look at but when I open it up, all that pretty turns into work to be done.

Englischdude

got a 21" imac that gets switched on about once every 2 months. everything is done on my crappy 250 euro asus laptop with Linux Mint 17 OS.

works a treat and cheap as chips!

skater

I bought my first and only Apple, a Macbook Pro, in October, 2009, and I'm still pretty happy with it. It's by far the best laptop I've owned. I didn't want another Windows laptop, and the Linux laptop offerings at the time weren't very good. I figured if I didn't like OS X, I could install Linux on it and have a light, long battery life laptop. But OS X is quite nice, so I never felt the need to try Linux on it until recently.

My only regret about my Macbook Pro is that I went cheap and got too little RAM, a small hard disk, and the slowest processor. I upgraded both RAM and hard drive (note, you can no longer upgrade RAM in the newest Macbooks - to save weight and space they are soldered in). I also replaced the battery last year; its run time was getting down to an hour or two, from the 6 or so I was getting when it was new. I probably could've waited on that, but I didn't want to get to the point where it couldn't even reliably boot on battery power, so I spent the money and replaced it.

The only issue I'm having with the laptop is that when I upgraded to Mavericks, Apple apparently made everything fully 64-bit, and my machine's processor, although it's a 64 bit, is a bit long in the tooth, so previewing files is frustratingly slow, especially raw files. Using the resource monitor, I see it's a processor-bound activity, so - unfortunately - upgrading to a solid state drive likely wouldn't solve the problem.

Otherwise, it works beautifully; even Aperture seems to work better than the Preview app: I have no gripe at all with the laptop's speed inside Aperture. Not bad for a 5 year old laptop. I recently tried formatting everything and reinstalling just in case, but it works the same way it did. While the lack of improvement was disappointing for my problem, I was also impressed that it didn't help, because it meant OS X didn't get fouled up by years of crud, unlike certain other OSs. I would have lost some respect for OS X if the clean installation had helped.

I can't recall ever having it crash or anything like that. It may have happened, and I've just forgotten. When it was new, even with a spinning hard drive, it would start up and shut down much faster than any Windows or Linux computer I've used. (I think the additional RAM slowed down the startup/shutdown sequence. Not surprising.)

Due to the speed issue, I'm considering replacing it, and I blanch at the cost, but on the other hand, Windows 8 is a complete WTF for me, and the Linux photo editing solutions aren't quite there yet for me. (It's probably good software, but I'm no expert at modifying photos... I probably just need to bite the bullet and learn it. Aperture spoiled me with its "magic wand" fix that does well on probably 95% of the photos.) Also, replacing the laptop means we would delay buying a new DSLR to replace the D70 my wife still uses, and I REALLY want that camera to be retired, so I continue to search for ways to keep my laptop useful.

I'm not sure what you mean by "their totalitarian approach to content" - I've installed plenty of applications on my Macbook that weren't approved by Apple. Yes, they have the App Store (which is a nice way of getting applications installed and keeping them up to date), but you only need to change one security setting in the Config to allow you to install applications from anywhere. I can play videos that I ripped under Linux with no problem.