Bite the apple?

J-see

Use LR... It imports to the catalogue, and copies the files to an external hard drive, and never impacts my Mac's hard drive or cache...

I use RT to process but only use Capture to do the first selections of what goes and what stays. And only if I have been shooting "under"exposed. Else I use View. It's much faster than using an editor.

I'll manually work around the issue for the time being.

wornish

I don't have any issues on my iMac with pop ups or cache being eaten up. .

In Yosemite the master app that controls what happens when you connect a camera or insert a card is Image Capture its in the Applications directory.

To set the default actions you have to do the following once.

Have image capture running, then connect a camera or insert a card. The device will appear on the left hand side. At the bottom left you can then select the default action for future insertions. I have mine set to open Nikon Transfer, but it could be any app that you select.

When you have done that once you don't need to run image capture any more.

It just works for me.

J-see

Did you try my suggestion?

I disabled photos from activating whenever I insert an SD-card and then in Image capture selected the Nikon app to activate when I insert the card.

That works well just once and the next day I insert the card, the whole thing starts over again. It completely forgets it and forces photos down my throat again.

J-see

Sounds like, in your zeal to do things your way, you've buggered that machine up... ;)

I didn't even start buggering it up. ;) This far all is running as it is intended by Apple.

Funny things happen for sure. I can set a background for both monitors and the next day when I start up again, only the second monitor it remembered.
I suspect that selective memory is the same issue that forgets the app I want to use on import.

RocketCowboy

Yeah, strange. I've set mine up once, to stop opening any app automatically when I connect media, and haven't had any problems even with the 10.10.3 update and Photos.

I'm beginning to agree with the suggestion others have made that the best answer may be to wipe the computer clean and start over. Something is causing conflicts, it shouldn't be that hard.

J-see

Yeah, strange. I've set mine up once, to stop opening any app automatically when I connect media, and haven't had any problems even with the 10.10.3 update and Photos.

I'm beginning to agree with the suggestion others have made that the best answer may be to wipe the computer clean and start over. Something is causing conflicts, it shouldn't be that hard.

It has been acting funny since the day I got it but maybe a fresh start might fix it. I got to read up on Mac formatting and reinstalling again since I suspect it to be different from the Windows method.