Bike Project

Bun-Bun

I find this a good mix of two hobbies and would be interested in doing this myself.

However are you not worried of damage to your camera gear? I know things happen sometimes when I am on my bike which cause me to have to bail. I would be concerned of my expensive gear getting wrecked.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I find this a good mix of two hobbies and would be interested in doing this myself.

However are you not worried of damage to your camera gear? I know things happen sometimes when I am on my bike which cause me to have to bail. I would be concerned of my expensive gear getting wrecked.

I ride every day with camera gear in my bike basket. My bike has taken a number of spills, with me and without me on it. In my worst fall, I broke my elbow and the camera came out fine after the three (me, camera in bag and bike) of us rolled down an incline. Nothing has happened to my camera as long as it's in a good camera bag/case.

Rick M

I've made everything so it's extremely secure. The bag behind the handle bars is in a very safe spot, would be hard to damage, plus that bag has a lot of padding. The biggest risk is the iphone holder. With all that in mind, I usually stay under 20 mph, and try to be careful.

Bun-Bun

Ok cool. I am definitely going to have to look into this somemore. Make an easy way to get to some really nice landscape spots in the city.

Rick M

Yes I'm really enjoying this combo. I can go where my car/truck can't and get around much faster than walking. Pack a lunch and beverages and I'm set for the day.

Bun-Bun

Call me inspired.

Went to a local camera store and found a nice backpack on sale (<$100 after taxes) and took a ride to my parents house and just so happens my dad had a Manfrotto compact MKC3-H01 tripod NIB just sitting in the garage. :)

IMAG0516.jpg IMAG0518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sambr

That's really great Rick. I like what you have done. I have been thinking about the same thing for awhile now. You have just given me some food for thought.

Rick M

That's really great Rick. I like what you have done. I have been thinking about the same thing for awhile now. You have just given me some food for thought.

Thanks Sam. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Great exercise and gets me into some new spots I would not have hiked or been able to drive to.

Sambr

That's exactly why I want one. I am selling my F150 - too big don't need such a big truck. I Replaced the truck with a BMW X5 - however I don't want to take it where I went with the F150 - hence the Mountain Bike idea.

carguy

That's exactly why I want one. I am selling my F150 - too big don't need such a big truck. I Replaced the truck with a BMW X5 - however I don't want to take it where I went with the F150 - hence the Mountain Bike idea.

Don't be afraid of a little dirt - the X5 is capable :)

bmw_x5_off_road_2.jpg

carguy

My first mod allows me to quickly attach/remove my Thinktank Holster bag. I found some strong nylon/plastic clips saved from one of my countless bags. Using large wire straps (175 lb test), I attached the clips to the handlebars as shown below. Since the pieces are plastic, no worries of scratches. I wanted to have the bag right in front of me for easy access and safety.

View attachment 42959
I recently bought an ApeCase (ACPRO650) for my DSLR. Looking for some hooks similar to what you used to fasten this to the handlebars. I know you made yours using extra materials you had on hand. No luck on google. Anyone have any leads?

It works great for now, I put it in my rear rack back for bike trips. I'd like to find a way to mount it to the handlebars as well.

Thanks!

Rick M

I recently bought an ApeCase (ACPRO650) for my DSLR. Looking for some hooks similar to what you used to fasten this to the handlebars. I know you made yours using extra materials you had on hand. No luck on google. Anyone have any leads?

It works great for now, I put it in my rear rack back for bike trips. I'd like to find a way to mount it to the handlebars as well.

Thanks!

As luck would have it, I just bought another bag with a strap that I will never use. It has a similar set of swiveling nylon clips, you can have them if you want. If you want to PM me your address I'll mail them out to you. Also I bought a whole bag of the heavy duty plastic wire straps I used to mount them, I can send you a set of them too.

carguy

As luck would have it, I just bought another bag with a strap that I will never use. It has a similar set of swiveling nylon clips, you can have them if you want. If you want to PM me your address I'll mail them out to you. Also I bought a whole bag of the heavy duty plastic wire straps I used to mount them, I can send you a set of them too.

What luck. Thank you sir!

Tapp'n on the Galaxy S3

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My first mod allows me to quickly attach/remove my Thinktank Holster bag.

View attachment 42960

As you can see, the holster bag worked out perfectly. It is well padded and the bottom extends so I will be able to ride with my 70-200 f4 attached.

I like this holster, Rick. I have a Lowepro holster-type bag that came from B&H with my D600, but it isn't deep enough for my 2 longest lenses. Which model is this one? After researching the Think Tank brand, it looks like either their 20 or 30 model would work for my needs--and not be overly expensive either.

I came across this thread after doing a forum search for a general bike/bicycle thread where people can post photos but came up empty. Does anyone know if there is one, and if so, where is it located? Later this week I'll be getting my chain cleaned up--it's pretty dirty from sitting around for over 2 years. Although I don't ride a bike, I ride a recumbent trike and love it. Is there a thread where people can post their bike photos? Thanks for any help! ;)

Rick M

I like this holster, Rick. I have a Lowepro holster-type bag that came from B&H with my D600, but it isn't deep enough for my 2 longest lenses. Which model is this one? After researching the Think Tank brand, it looks like either their 20 or 30 model would work for my needs--and not be overly expensive either.

I came across this thread after doing a forum search for a general bike/bicycle thread where people can post photos but came up empty. Does anyone know if there is one, and if so, where is it located? Later this week I'll be getting my chain cleaned up--it's pretty dirty from sitting around for over 2 years. Although I don't ride a bike, I ride a recumbent trike and love it. Is there a thread where people can post their bike photos? Thanks for any help! ;)

I'm using the Thinktank 20 v2.0, perfect for the D600. with the bottom unzipped it will hold the camera with a 70-200 2.8 attached which is pretty big. I only lower the bottom partially when I have the 70-200 f4 on.

​Feel free to start a new bike thread! I'm sure we'll all join in :)