4-5 speedlights or 2 monobloc lights - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulk2012

Well starting to have a problem with you thinking it make you sound "big and powerful" to misspell the world Little and calling people "lil man".

Generally reading through the entire thread you've tried to be offensive while hiding behind your computer screen. You're the type of person who doesn't really seem to want to fit into a community but instead cause trouble and this is why I know your attempt to start up a photography business will fail because of your personality. I hate to think how much you're going to rage when someone who hired you tells you that your work is crap and doesn't want to pay you.

Guess I'll offer my judgement on your pictures. Picture one is wasteful, with this bit on the left side that adds nothing to the picture, and the main reflective light in the water being cut short, and the building with lights on the far right being poorly cropped half out of the picture. I find the sky the most interesting part because of the gradient change which is actually nice.
Picture 2 is just pish poor. The brightest part that attracts the eye is the left side of the bridge floor and you are forced by the leading lines to follow it to the end that leads to.... well nothing. Then the sky lacks details and therefore takes up too much of the picture.

There I've expressed my problem as you asked.

EDIT: I should also point out that the reason I said nope to those two photo's is because they are completely off topic. You were discussing photographic light sources and then throw in night city scape photo's to what point ?

I'm not offended and take critics easily mate. I know these two are not 100%.!As i said before these two were shot over 2 yrs ago with closed eyes using mirrorless system right of the box without even reading manual. A lot changed since then in terms of skills and gear. However these two pics are still far better then then entire photo session someone who is trying to straight me, giving me advice I didn't ask for by trying to sell me some cheap crap I would never buy (Buffs) and most importantly trying so hard to convince me into belief that speedlights is all you need without owning the argument..

If your intellect would enable you to analyse carefully what i mean then you would get my point. Maybe you need to read between the lines. Or just throw some of your pics to shut my mouth..

Last edited:

dukatum

I am not sure what it is that drives you to have to throw insults every time you hit the keyboard, but it is bad business practice, bad people skills and generally just shows that you don't try to find a middle-ground. I'm not being offensive by saying this, I'm simply trying to help you appreciate how you are being perceived, and hope this helps you keep your calm in real life, especially during business discussions of reviewing your photos.

Anyway. You did ask for the advice, your entire thread that you created is asking for advise about photographic lighting and believe it or not Paul C Buffs comes under that category.

I do appreciated that you said the photo's were taken 2 years ago, but for all I know you've been shooting for 20+ years. So that 2 year ago comment offered no impact on the consideration what so ever. I should take this opportunity to point out to you that I think you've not really understood what "reading between the lines" means. It was quite funny that you said that though, and then questioned why I didn't analyse carefully.... well now, which is it? one or the other?. haha I'm actually chuckling so much my belly hurts.

Although I do find it interesting that you got defensive about my critique of your photo's, desperate to point out they were shot 2 years ago and you've grown up photographically since then. It didn't change the fact that you've thrown inappropriate photo's up for the topic of discussion. It is simply off track and made no point (and the words used with them made little sense in English either).

As it is, I've been shooting for less than 18 months. Never even held a camera (beyond smart phone) before January 2013. On that note I'm sure you'll completely disregard everything I've ever said and consider me clueless. But still please do feel free to view my gallery Gallery ? Click RAW and I hope you enjoy the photo's. If not, well I don't really care to be honest as I'm not the one trying to defend myself.

I'm envious of you for looking to take the big leap and becoming a paid professional. I'd love to one day look at going professional, but I know that I'm no where near ready for that yet. But if and when I ever do, I'll be sure to listen to peoples advise around me and politely move on from the advice I don't require. It's better to not burn bridges.

As I mentioned above. I honestly think it would be best to call it a draw, rather than constantly logging back in to throw more insults and show aggressiveness. You're no longer talking the topic of discussion but simply fighting on a forum.

SteveH

Sorry but after reading this thread I want my 10 mins back.

Hulk, you clearly know far more than the rest of the forum put together, so why ask for advice?
You're intent on turning pro, and good on you for that as it's a big step to take. But people with experience have offered advice and you have tried to shoot them down.

My advice is this - Wedding photography is a personal service. Someone turning up with the attitude of "I'm amazing at everything I do", "I took this pic with my eyes closed" and "I am the one that will always succeed" are not personable traits and in my book would loose you more jobs than than your good shots would win you.

ShootRaw

This thread should be locked...Way to introduce yourself to the community. This is one of the best forums around..We are a tight knit community and all get along..At this point I feel you are trolling and is only a matter of time before this thread is locked. So with that said I would re-adjust your attitude if you expect any help in the future. P.S Thanks for the lovely insults to my work..Real class act you are.

hulk2012

Plenty of "smart" talks from unsuccessful "pros". I'm sorry. All the advices from people who just browse the net and then advice others. But who really makes money here, who really uses top gear, who is succesful to teach others here? Anyone? Having 20 yrs experience being unsuccessful means nothing but someone who's trying his all life calling it "having experience". Can someone successful in the field who uses (owns) the gear I'm talking about ($2k each light) can advice me please? Those who barely afford beauty dish thank you for your advice but I ain't interested. Those who work for the boss making just to tick over and shooting by $1000 dx for years in little spare time - thank you but I'm not interested in your advice. I said I'm turning pro therefore need a real life advice. Not stuff read on the net. Wanna talk to real pros. Let's talk..

Last edited:

hulk2012

Sorry but after reading this thread I want my 10 mins back.

Hulk, you clearly know far more than the rest of the forum put together, so why ask for advice?
You're intent on turning pro, and good on you for that as it's a big step to take. But people with experience have offered advice and you have tried to shoot them down.

My advice is this - Wedding photography is a personal service. Someone turning up with the attitude of "I'm amazing at everything I do", "I took this pic with my eyes closed" and "I am the one that will always succeed" are not personable traits and in my book would loose you more jobs than than your good shots would win you.

Don't put words into my mouth. I only said "eyes closed" to highlight on how easy shooting really is. Never said I will always succeed or I'm amazing. I am the best at what I do that's why I'm successful with it. I know what it takes to be one so photography is going to be another journey with the same principle and attitude getting applied. I have track record that's why I know what I'm saying. Photography biz is just another biz. Something not many here have clue about. I do. It's not just shooting. It's what's before and after the shots. Shooting itself can be thought. Entrepreneurship cannot be thought. That's why we don't mix..

Last edited:

SteveH

Don't put words into my mouth. I only said "eyes closed" to highlight on how easy shooting really is. Never said I will always succeed or I'm amazing. I am the best at what I do that's why I'm successful with it. I know what it takes to be one so photography is going to be another journey with the same principle and attitude getting applied. I have track record that's why I know what I'm saying. Photography biz is just another biz. Something not many here have clue about. I do. It's not just shooting. It's what's before and after the shots. Shooting itself can be thought. Entrepreneurship cannot be thought. That's why we don't mix..

Entrepreneurship is taking an original idea and making money from it. Your idea is to go to a wedding and take pictures - That is far from original.

What makes a wedding photographer is a rapport with the clients and guests, recording their day in a way they like, which is different for each location and client - Can you show me the book that teaches that?

You seem confident enough just to go and do this without advice, so buy your "Pro" kit and go forth into the wedding photography lion's den. Just make sure you have insurance, as once you hand over that contract and fail to deliver, a court will rip you apart so fast that kit had better have a good resale value to pay the damages.

hulk2012

Entrepreneurship is taking an original idea and making money from it. Your idea is to go to a wedding and take pictures - That is far from original.

What makes a wedding photographer is a rapport with the clients and guests, recording their day in a way they like, which is different for each location and client - Can you show me the book that teaches that?

You seem confident enough just to go and do this without advice, so buy your "Pro" kit and go forth into the wedding photography lion's den. Just make sure you have insurance, as once you hand over that contract and fail to deliver, a court will rip you apart so fast that kit had better have a good resale value to pay the damages.

"...Well, after much thought and persuading of the wife, I have just gone and ordered my D7100 body online..... It will be a jump from my D3100 and I can't wait! The D3100 has been a great camera to learn with over the past 3 years, but the extra features of the D7100 were too much to resist!!

While I wait for delivery, I have downloaded the HUGE manual.... Let the learning curve begin! "

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Hulk...Are you Bi-Polar? Just sayin....You shun people trying to help, but want us to celebrate you buying a new camera..Oh and why did you buy a $1150 dx camera and want $2000 monolights? Hmmmmm I figured you were a D4S type of guy...Very confused about you sir, very confused...

hulk2012

Hulk...Are you Bi-Polar? Just sayin....You shun people trying to help, but want us to celebrate you buying a new camera..Oh and why did you buy a $1150 dx camera and want $2000 monolights? Hmmmmm I figured you were a D4S type of guy...Very confused about you sir, very confused...

I own 4 cameras. 2 mirrorless and 2 fx (bought in last 2 yrs)

SteveH

"...Well, after much thought and persuading of the wife, I have just gone and ordered my D7100 body online..... It will be a jump from my D3100 and I can't wait! The D3100 has been a great camera to learn with over the past 3 years, but the extra features of the D7100 were too much to resist!!

While I wait for delivery, I have downloaded the HUGE manual.... Let the learning curve begin! "

Someone who is making a 2014 jump from 3100 to 7100 persuading wife to do so trying to advice me on the biz side of photography and an the right attitude? Steve are you kidding me?

Discussing spends with my partner is a bad idea? No, it isn't.
The kit I use has any bearing on business common sense? No, it hasn't.

Buy your lights, go to a wedding fair and tell everyone you have the latest kit. I'm sure we'll all bask in your glory on the front of fortune magazine this time next year.

Everyone else offering advice to save you from yourself has bowed out, and now so do I.

hulk2012

Discussing spends with my partner is a bad idea? No, it isn't.
The kit I use has any bearing on business common sense? No, it isn't.

Buy your lights, go to a wedding fair and tell everyone you have the latest kit. I'm sure we'll all bask in your glory on the front of fortune magazine this time next year.

That's how you make it steve. You can't charge top price shooting top quality using compacted old school gear. Have you seen profoto b1? Add HSS in future software update and thats the deal breaker. That's who the best roll. They have $10000s invested in gear cos gear works for itself making your life as a human even easier when using the best available one. Have you ever drive '12-13 s500? Try. You never look back ;) If your biz can afford why not?

In terms of you discussing small buys with your wife just makes me understand how small minded man you are. I simply go and buy one. My wife likes it - buy her one too. But you..

SteveH

That's how you make it steve. You can't charge top price shooting top quality using compacted old school gear. Have you seen profoto b1? Add HSS in future software update and thats the deal breaker. That's who the best roll. They have $10000s invested in gear cos gear works for itself making your life as a human even easier when using the best available one. Have you ever drive '12-13 s500? Try. You never look back ;) If your biz can afford why not?

In terms of you discussing small buys with your wife just makes me understand how small minded man you are. I simply go and buy one. My wife likes it - buy her one too. But you..

Are you Ken Rockwell in disguise?

hulk2012

I would keep guessing, but then I'd be stooping to your level of insulting people. You may have all the best gear, but I have class... And you can't buy or learn that.

Class? UK lost its class 100 yrs. Sorry Steve but you nowhere near class..

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hulk - this has been an interesting thread. However, insulting other members is not tolerated here.

It appears that you already have your mind set on which lighting to get.

To all - if you can't stick with the topic and any further insults to any members will result in account suspension and this thread closed. Take a chill pill and move on.

hulk2012

Hulk - this has been an interesting thread. However, insulting other members is not tolerated here.

It appears that you already have your mind set on which lighting to get.

To all - if you can't stick with the topic and any further insults to any members will result in account suspension and this thread closed. Take a chill pill and move on.

May I know who are you and what made you believe that I have my mind set?

Status
Not open for further replies.