4-5 speedlights or 2 monobloc lights - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketman122

I understand. Quadra adapter can trigger nikon speedlights cos they have built in photocell so as long as they are in su4 mode you don't need pocket wizard. And vice verse. Speedlight on top of the camera can trigger quadra system. Not many know about it though..

not many know or give a crap. no pro uses optical triggers today or even cls. pros use radio slaves. I have 6- yn622n and they work flawlessly. and I also commlite G430 as a backup and they too work great. screw line of site crap.

and what CM says is exactly right. you need durable lights but you dont need the best. first get your lenses and camera in order. invest in your portfolio, marketing, website. give me a POS yongnuo flash that costs $40 and I can create art. youre a bit in a fantasy world hulk and youre priorities are wrong. good luck.

hulk2012

How long have you been shooting? youre talking as if that buying the elinchrom for $3k will bring you up to the pros level youve listed. I dont know who they are. I dont follow other photographers. I used to do it when I was starting out and wanted to mimick the big boys and get direction/inspiration for my photography work. when I was in the beginning I was so caught up with the gear. today I could buy an 800 5.6 and couldnt give a crap. its just a tool. I look at it, shoot with it, and put it away. im about the pictures. youre more about the idea of it and the gear then getting your skills up. youre putting to much thought into it.
I can tell a photographers level in a minute or two of watching him work. dont need more than that. I see his motions and what he does and thats enough. ive seen so many photogs who come with their expensive gear buck are horrible photographers. its all a show. even how he uses the flash.

theres a simple recipe, good work, word of mouth and more clients. more clients, better rep, upgrading gear, upping your price and so forth and so forth. youre stuck in first with getting gear. get it- hahaha

Hulk, get some PCB if youre set on monolights. get 2 flashes for your camera and youre good. what about a 2nd camera, and what lenses do you have ATM?

hows your portfolio? work on getting money shots. get a website started. work on getting a perfect wedding album. meaning an album of pictures from 1 wedding from beginning to end. when couples dont see a an album of a full wedding they are suspicious. connect with the couple. you need to build a good repoire with them. they couldnt give a crap what flashes you use.

so youre saying that youll be schooling me in 1-2 years time because tech is available to you? skill doesnt come so fast. some have it, some dont. you can be a photographer for years and still suck. best gear or not. the gear limits the person but skill is what the bottom line is. when a person says he shoots 100 weddings a year, thats a lot of experience. no one takes you if you suck. you can work in this field forever and hardly get work. you are a misguided and have this image in your mind thats a bit fantasy. how many weddings have you shot till now? not comparing to me, but I can gauge your experience in the field.
seems to me like youre new.

I wasnt so obsessive about gear like you. I cared about shooting more than analyzing which gear to get.

Sounds to me like you are mine kind of guy. I'm former athlete with over 20 yrs experience being one of the best. Biz experience in multiple fields - over 15 yrs. I know what experience is. Always been competitive also. Sport or business. Don't matter. Being pro means to me doing things up to the highest standard possible. Same with the gear. Period. Website, marketing, graphics, networking - I've got this in one finger. These are one of the things i do for a living and I'm one of the best at it. Portfolio - got one but suffers from these few projects with multiple lights set up so I'm holding it back. I want to get into photo biz as strobist not a flat shooter who compensate lack of lightening skills by applying VSCO presets and calling itself a pro. Camera and lenses - got it all covered..

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Seriously... Clients do not care about what brand of gear you have....I believe in reliable gear that works time and time again.. You are to caught up on name brand... $500 per Einstein is still a lot of $$.. Then you need triggers, modifiers etc. .. Look at Craig lameres website.. He uses Paul c buff gear and is up and coming fast... He knows how to apply light patterns and ratios... Shaping light etc... Do some research... Nef said

hulk2012

Seriously... Clients do not care about what brand of gear you have....I believe in reliable gear that works time and time again.. You are to caught up on name brand... $500 per Einstein is still a lot of $$.. Then you need triggers, modifiers etc. .. Look at Craig lameres website.. He uses Paul c buff gear and is up and coming fast... He knows how to apply light patterns and ratios... Shaping light etc... Do some research... Nef said

Can't get PB in my country anyway besides the fact I don't like it from what I've seen.

ShootRaw

Sounds to me like you are mine kind of guy. I'm former athlete with over 20 yrs experience being one of the best. Biz experience in multiple fields - over 15 yrs. I know what experience is. Always been competitive also. Sport or business. Don't matter. Being pro means to me doing things up to the highest standard possible. Same with the gear. Period. Website, marketing, graphics, networking - I've got this in one finger. These are one of the things i do for a living and I'm one of the best at it. Portfolio - got one but suffers from these few projects with multiple lights set up so I'm holding it back. I want to get into photo biz as strobist not a flat shooter who compensate lack of lightening skills by applying VSCO presets and calling itself a pro. Camera and lenses - got it all covered..

Lol... Pros don't suffer... I think you are all talk and have no clue why you started this thread if you are he'll bent in buying the most expensive gear.. Go ahead and buy some broncolor gear then and report back with pics..

hulk2012

Lol... Pros don't suffer... I think you are all talk and have no clue why you started this thread if you are he'll bent in buying the most expensive gear.. Go ahead and buy some broncolor gear then and report back with pics..

Hey..Take it easy cowboy. I started asking what would be more beneficial - sb910 speedlights or monobloc lights (the one I mentioned). Obviously I already made my mind up in terms few brands I want to stick to because of ecosystem and support. Where I live industry standard is profoto as well as broncolor (commercial work of course). And that's my aim market. Won't give up on shooting weddings I guess but indoor/outdoor portraits as well as advertising is my aim market. Don't want to end up only shooting weddings having every weekend busy. Aiming for high pay projects like government and officials. Few of my fellows do them now and then though. Few weddings, advertising jobs once or twice a week and I'm good. Been there. Done it. Time for photography biz to do it..

rocketman122

You know what I was using for YEARS? 1200 w/s adoramas flashpoint monolights. I killed them. I beat them with no mercy. shot them for thousands and thousands of shots. the high end most expensive flash doesnt mean anything. I bought them for $350 each. theyve been dragged all over the country. running in the blistering summer heat/humidity, indoors/ outdoors, crazy loud dj subwoofers near them for hours each wedding. ambient smoke the dj shoots and nothing. the bulb was still white. if I had a use for them today, I would keep it. really loved them. but I dont. the brand doesnt matter. this is just flash. likie I said, give me a pos cheap manual flash and I can shoot killer portraits with them. get something good enough. that has good warranty. a repair center and youre done. $3000 for flash is too much. I own 6 flashes now

yongnuo 560III (Going to sell to get the 565 for the battery port option for lightning recycling)
yongnuo 568 (fell once and head broke. sent back to repair the plastic then sell for a 565 so I can use a battery pack)
SB28 (man I love this reliable and simple unit. workhorse that doesnt want to quit! gonna get a bettery pack for this as well)
SB800 (love everything about it except the foot has crap quality and gets loose over time)
SB700 (if not for the GN and no battery port, its the perfect flash)
SB900 (excellent flash if you dont beat on it in full power. never had to shoot more than 2 full power shots in rapid succession )
and two other flashes on loan from my friend. SB800 metz 58AF2 (an almost perfect flash except that recycle is turtle slow and menu navigation sucks A**)

no one will look at your light stands and see what youre shooting. no one cares. no one cares that I use a 28-70 AFS instead of the 24-70 AFS. if you gave it to me, id sell it and buy another 28-70 AFS. and no one cares I shoot with a 70-200VR1. all I care about is the tears and thank yous I get from them. I shot an event on friday and the parents of a couple I shot a month back were passing by the place I was and they called me by my name. came over and gave me a hug. they said they were so happy with the pictures. and thats what its all about. screw the gear. only a small percentage understand photography or gear. no one gives a crap. get some midrange flashes that has warranty. buy mack diamond intl warranty. its an all risk type warranty (insurance) so if it breaks by accident, its covered. I buy all my warranty from an ebay guy called frankys corner. very nice fella. not affiliated but just a recommendation.

for slaves look to the yongnuo 622n. TTL, HSS, assist beam for low light (very useful) they love battery juice so NIMH must be recharged every 1.5 wedding, so basically everytime you go out. but they havent missed a shot.

have some things to do so cheers.

hulk2012

You know what I was using for YEARS? 1200 w/s adoramas flashpoint monolights. I killed them. I beat them with no mercy. shot them for thousands and thousands of shots. the high end most expensive flash doesnt mean anything. I bought them for $350 each. theyve been dragged all over the country. running in the blistering summer heat/humidity, indoors/ outdoors, crazy loud dj subwoofers near them for hours each wedding. ambient smoke the dj shoots and nothing. the bulb was still white. if I had a use for them today, I would keep it. really loved them. but I dont. the brand doesnt matter. this is just flash. likie I said, give me a pos cheap manual flash and I can shoot killer portraits with them. get something good enough. that has good warranty. a repair center and youre done. $3000 for flash is too much. I own 6 flashes now

yongnuo 560III (Going to sell to get the 565 for the battery port option for lightning recycling)
yongnuo 568 (fell once and head broke. sent back to repair the plastic then sell for a 565 so I can use a battery pack)
SB28 (man I love this reliable and simple unit. workhorse that doesnt want to quit! gonna get a bettery pack for this as well)
SB800 (love everything about it except the foot has crap quality and gets loose over time)
SB700 (if not for the GN and no battery port, its the perfect flash)
SB900 (excellent flash if you dont beat on it in full power. never had to shoot more than 2 full power shots in rapid succession )
and two other flashes on loan from my friend. SB800 metz 58AF2 (an almost perfect flash except that recycle is turtle slow and menu navigation sucks A**)

no one will look at your light stands and see what youre shooting. no one cares. no one cares that I use a 28-70 AFS instead of the 24-70 AFS. if you gave it to me, id sell it and buy another 28-70 AFS. and no one cares I shoot with a 70-200VR1. all I care about is the tears and thank yous I get from them. I shot an event on friday and the parents of a couple I shot a month back were passing by the place I was and they called me by my name. came over and gave me a hug. they said they were so happy with the pictures. and thats what its all about. screw the gear. only a small percentage understand photography or gear. no one gives a crap. get some midrange flashes that has warranty. buy mack diamond intl warranty. its an all risk type warranty (insurance) so if it breaks by accident, its covered. I buy all my warranty from an ebay guy called frankys corner. very nice fella. not affiliated but just a recommendation.

for slaves look to the yongnuo 622n. TTL, HSS, assist beam for low light (very useful) they love battery juice so NIMH must be recharged every 1.5 wedding, so basically everytime you go out. but they havent missed a shot.

have some things to do so cheers.

You don't find use of 1000ws today?? And by shooting killer portraits and doing it for quite long - why don't you upgrade your gear? Isn't that a business which needs consistent maintaince and upgrade to make life easier? Doesn't b1 make life easier? No battery pack, enough power, durability and ecosystem (can pair up with d1 for studio work). To me it's no brainer..

If i have funds for a medium format why would I stick to a 35mm (Sal Cincotta - wedding photographer for example who upgraded recently). And don't tell me that canon 5d3 provides better quality than 40-50mp phase one back cos that's nonsense. If I were a client with money and were to chose photographer - one who charges $2k and another for $10k I would chose the $10k one. But.. I would expect top notch quality and during the interview I would also expect him shooting medium format with multiple light set up. Preferably b1 heads to avoid time consuming and stress - set ups. That's how I roll anyway. I don't mind paying but I want the best value possible in return. Big fan of German cars also. You pay but you get what you pay in the end of the day. I know light is light. But you pay for convenience, power, design, durability, no fuss, no issues, wireless system, battery built in, modelling light, led based. All this I call user experience and for me that's what I don't mind paying top price for cos I know it will come back in return. Pay once - cry one. Get over it. Get it done. Now master it and focus on work. That's me..

Oh.. Lets don't talk about operating lights, setting them up etc.I practised enough on seminars or being assistant in spare time. It's mostly common sense. If you analytical and intellectual - that's easy. I know every set up can be different but once you understand principle you just need practise. I've got enough to be able to get into the game. Been doing it for fun for A long time. I'm from where photography is a daily bread. Where the best happen in photography. Where it's all started from. Everybody was shooting ever since. It's in people DNA. Ended up somewhere else where people pay loads for crap work edited in crap LR. That's why I see it bright though.

Last edited:

hulk2012

So Mr professional... Why did you start this thread again?

Though you might get my point. Might understand my question without selling me some poor equipment. Thought you might understand where I'm coming from.

Am I mr pro? Not as not I'm running it as a biz yet. Did I hurt your feelings or ego? I'm sorry didn't want to offend you. I'm one of these few who make it though..

ShootRaw

Wow...My feelings and ego are fine...You are not a pro? You are not running a business? You have no website? You expect someone who charges 10k or more for a wedding to have a hassleblad or you would not hire them..That is hilarious...Jerry Ghinois charges an average of 10k-15k for weddings...He uses a D4 and D3s...Have you seen his images? Medium format has its place in the market..Commercial work is were this is used..Did you know that the pros use flashes to shoot their weddings? Get a clue..You do not even have your basics in place to justify buying such expensive equipment..But by all mean go out and blow Thousands of dollars..Do we care? NO...You wanted the communities help on this subject. I feel you are disappointed in the feedback you have received...

hulk2012

Wow...My feelings and ego are fine...You are not a pro? You are not running a business? You have no website? You expect someone who charges 10k or more for a wedding to have a hassleblad or you would not hire them..That is hilarious...Jerry Ghinois charges an average of 10k-15k for weddings...He uses a D4 and D3s...Have you seen his images? Medium format has its place in the market..Commercial work is were this is used..Did you know that the pros use flashes to shoot their weddings? Get a clue..You do not even have your basics in place to justify buying such expensive equipment..But by all mean go out and blow Thousands of dollars..Do we care? NO...You wanted the communities help on this subject. I feel you are disappointed in the feedback you have received...

Read what i said. Photography is a passion I'm turning into biz. I've got a website with portfolio offline.

If money it not subject - what lighting system would you get into?!

Last edited:

hulk2012

As I said its not a strobist portfolio and I want to break into the biz as a strobist photographer. That's my unique selling point as there are only very few do it charging loads of money +$10k/weeding and $1k/portraits ;) portfolio itself is offline until I build one with lights used.

hulk2012

Fella giving advices but can't frame correctly, can't tell dust/oil spots on the sensor, still shooting $100 portraits, can't post process correctly, saving money for a Mola while having family. It's a joke.. Please after years of living of photography I wouldn't be here uploading some terrible shots calling them "killer". All these portraits made me laugh.. Do a real thing what real man supposed to do. Start making money. Whatever you do. Photography or not. If your were good at it you would advices different but instead you taking from position of sitting, from pocket point of view. Get it mate.

Ps. These two shot by fun 2yrs ago. First shots with newly bought mirrorless system. A lot of changed since then in terms of skills and gear. They say either you have it or not. Well you be the judge lil man..

se3ahygy.jpg

ne9y7enu.jpg

Last edited:

dukatum

LOL. You two are fun to read :)
Not sure what those last two nightshoots were about. Hope they were not there to "show off" because... well just nope.
Personally I think you should both call it a draw, and just accept that there is no right answer other than making sure you learn to use the tools you make available to yourself in order to establish your own photography style. Good luck with it either route you take.

hulk2012

LOL. You two are fun to read :)
Not sure what those last two nightshoots were about. Hope they were not there to "show off" because... well just nope.

What's your problem d7000, cheap Tamron can't afford 70-200vr2 lil man? I click this kind of pics with closed eyes by using mirrorless system with Zeiss costing as twice as your whole gear. If you don't like it then tell me what's not right with it..

Last edited:

dukatum

What's your problem lil man?
Well starting to have a problem with you thinking it make you sound "big and powerful" to misspell the world Little and calling people "lil man".

Generally reading through the entire thread you've tried to be offensive while hiding behind your computer screen. You're the type of person who doesn't really seem to want to fit into a community but instead cause trouble and this is why I know your attempt to start up a photography business will fail because of your personality. I hate to think how much you're going to rage when someone who hired you tells you that your work is crap and doesn't want to pay you.

Guess I'll offer my judgement on your pictures. Picture one is wasteful, with this bit on the left side that adds nothing to the picture, and the main reflective light in the water being cut short, and the building with lights on the far right being poorly cropped half out of the picture. I find the sky the most interesting part because of the gradient change which is actually nice.
Picture 2 is just pish poor. The brightest part that attracts the eye is the left side of the bridge floor and you are forced by the leading lines to follow it to the end that leads to.... well nothing. Then the sky lacks details and therefore takes up too much of the picture.

There I've expressed my problem as you asked.

EDIT: I should also point out that the reason I said nope to those two photo's is because they are completely off topic. You were discussing photographic light sources and then throw in night city scape photo's to what point ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.