Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Yes, they're very close. Clinton, NJ is only about 10 miles west of Whitehouse. The area was so rural when I lived in NJ that it was easy to walk around the tower and go inside without anyone caring. I looked at some Internet map sites and I don't see the tower where I remember it, so I...
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From December 1980, levers within an abandoned interlocking tower (or a "signal box" to our British friends) at Whitehouse, NJ. This was located on the former Central of New Jersey main line.
  3. S

    Post Your Bridges HERE

    When I look at lift bridges, I always wonder how the Engineers keep the towers and bridge structure in square. The foundations must be deep and extremely strong, as any misalignment would cause binding. In the mid-1930s, the Pennsylvania Railroad built two massive multi-track lift bridges in...
  4. S

    Post Your Bridges HERE

    Railroad vertical lift bridge crossing the Cape Cod Canal at Buzzard's Bay, MA, the second longest lift bridge in the U.S.. [Rollei 35mm, Kodachrome, June 1992]
  5. S

    Post your Water towers here

    Water tank is to the right. (Terrible old scan) [Nikon N2020, Kodachrome]
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From August 1980 at Suffern, NY a former E-L SDP-45 is in charge on the Erie mainline. [Nikkormat FTn, Kodachrome]
  7. S

    Silhouette Photography

    In a time-honored tradition, a steam locomotive tender is filled with water. [Nikon EL-2, June 1980]
  8. S

    Old and Abandoned

    Moffat Coal Breaker in Taylor, PA. Demolished several years after I took this. I was rapidly losing my light, but the gloom perhaps fits the scene. [June 1982, Kodachrome, Nikon EL-2]
  9. S

    35mm film negatives to digital ?

    I ended up choosing the Epson V800 a few weeks ago and am well pleased with it. So far I've done mostly 35mm Slides. The V800 has two internal lenses within its hardware, so the clarity is very good. Well lit compositions look excellent, but you can't make a great scan from a lousy slide...
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Looking east from the former Lehigh Valley Railroad tunnel at Pattenburg, NJ.
  11. S

    Post your 'ALMOST' Photos..

    From a 1995 Kodachrome (using Nikon N2020). On the bridge, nice light, finger on the shutter, train in the perfect spot, GLINT!, >click<. What are the odds?
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I think I'm starting to get the hang of scanning. I want to be sure I explore every aspect before I dive in to scan my collection. I was talking to a guy at a model railroad club and he said he scanned hundreds of his slides then discovered he had the scanning resolution set too low and had to...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Such a shame! I love the look of the old Florida stations with their Spanish mission appearance and colorful stucco. I have a handful of Florida slides, such as one taken in Wildwood and the other in Ocala, both in March of 1987. I'm finding that with my new scanner, you can't turn a dark...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Nicely lit shots seem to scan better and in smaller file sizes. Here's an SOU SD-9, taken 01/28/1989 at Inman Yard in Atlanta, GA. Santa Fe All The Way, Kingman, AZ 03/15/1997:
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Finally bought a 35mm slide scanner at a fair price on Cyber Monday. Just starting to mess with it, trying to balance enormous file sizes with suitable quality. I have much to learn! Here's one of my first experiments, taken 06/08/1997 at Allentown, AZ. Looks kinda pixelated.
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Snagged Norfolk Southern's Monongahela Heritage Unit this afternoon on Train 192 at Simpson, SC. I'd not seen this unit before. I chose a spot where the unit wouldn't be in dappled sunlight and the signal could be seen.
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Clemson University's Class of 1939 acquired this Southern Rwy. bay window caboose and it's located at the school's Heritage Gardens.
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken earlier this month in Clemson, SC with my kid's D3300 is this Norfolk Southern northbound and the Amtrak depot. The line is the former Southern Railway main line. NS was busy this day, with three trains passing in 40 Minutes. The D3300 was nice to use, with familiar functionality and...
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    There's a nearby steel mill that operates some vintage Alco motive power, including an RS-1 and S-1. Their big ol' fat exhaust stacks are gone; I have no idea what's under the hood. I don't know their heritage. JRWX is Johnson Railway Service. I just found these units, so haven't seen them...
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    NS 191 advances west at Cayce, SC, safely passing a vintage distant signal. We don't need no stinkin' PTC here. This was one of those spots where you have a choice between good lighting a poor composition or poor lighting and a good composition. I chose the latter so as to include the train...
Top