Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Those are fine memories and wonderful photos. That's some amazing equipment your Grandfather built! I'm guessing the steamer was oil fired?
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken today at Lowell, NC. I'm told that this classic Southern Railway signal bridge is one of the very few remaining on the entire Norfolk Southern System. Recent Federal regulations forced a reengineering of railroad signals, causing many classic signal types throughout the nation to be...
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Very nice @BF Hammer. The grain elevator does make for a nice composition and small railroads like the WSOR are fun to shoot. What is the tall structure further away in the distance? Looks like a grain or maybe coal elevator?
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From 07/17/2026 at Hamlet, NC. Hamlet was the site of a large yard, but operational changes have resulted in fewer trains to be seen here.
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Another shot from Saturday afternoon in Chattanooga as I was losing my light. This train was moving slowly, awaiting clearance to enter DeButts Yard. [D5100]
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From Saturday afternoon at Chattanooga, a CSX train skirts the edge of Norfolk Southern's massive DeButts Yard. This train will ride the route of the Civil War's Great Locomotive Chase between Kennesaw and Ringgold, GA. [D5100]
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught today in serendipity at Austell, GA, Norfolk Southern's Nickel Plate Road heritage unit 8100. This is another of NS's locomotives painted in historic colors that trace NS railroad history. [D5100]
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Those are beautiful @BF Hammer! I'm guessing that it runs at 10-15 MPH? Yeah, I've got to get up there to ride.
  9. S

    Woody's Hermosa Luz 2026

    I love the look of focused determination there. Another beautiful picture. ☺️
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken 50 years ago today on 07/22/1976 on the former Delaware, Lackawanna & Western at Far Hills-Bedminster, NJ. The Lackawanna's suburban electrification was extensive, covering the mainline from Hoboken to Dover and two branches. Their durable fleet of electric passenger cars were in operation...
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    In an amazing twist, I came across this same locomotive 19 years later in September 1995, rusting away in the weeds on a small railroad at Red Hill, SC. She's wearing paint from Chicago's Regional Transportation Authority who later took over commuter rail operations. This was likely the 520's...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    "E-Units" as they were known were the face of American passenger railroading as diesels vanquished steam, with many later finding second lives hauling commuter trains. I shot this as a teen in May 1976 from the window of Barrington Tower in suburban Chicago. She's an E-8, long since scrapped...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From Sunday at Pinehurst, NC, an Aberdeen, Carolina & Western E-9 locomotive. Built in 1955 for the Union Pacific, it's also served Amtrak, Wisconsin & Southern and the Alaska before finding a new home amongst the golf courses in Pinehurst. The AC&W is primarily a freight railroad, but runs...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    That's a nice find @BF Hammer, a former Soo Line station. I've never been to that area of WI; looks like I need to. :)
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Some exceptional street art at Hamlet, NC, once the Heart of The Seaboard Air Line RR. Five lines intersect there, all owned by CSX today. [D5100]
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    The Pittsburgh & Lake Erie's Terminal Station at Pittsburgh, now with an adjoining hotel. We wanted to stay there, but couldn't afford the fare. [September 1997, Kodachrome, Nikon N2020]
  17. S

    Post your men/ladies at work

    Railroading requires a lot of walking. [March 1993, Greenwood, SC, Kodachrome, Nikon N2020]
  18. S

    Vote for Weekly Challenge July 8th - July 14th "Picturesque"

    I'll abstain from voting -- they're all such beautiful images!
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Right on. I thought back to the summer of 2018 when UP 844 killed a woman in CO who was standing so close that she was hit. I forget the exact circumstance, but I think she was a "daisy picker" (not a railfan, not versed in railroad safety) and perhaps thought that trains didn't overhang...
  20. S

    BF Hammer 2026: Me and my Zf

    Wow, lots going on there at Sauk City. I sent you a Kodachrome scan from April 1987 of the Sun Prairie depot. I found the Mazomanie depot in October 1990 prior to its restoration. Built in 1857 and modified numerous times over its life, it's the oldest in the state.
Top