Dawg Pics is learning new things in 2017.

Moab Man

It has been a long time since I have been stung, but allergies run in my family, so I tend to shy away from things with stingers. Turns out this critter wasn't anything to worry about, and he didn't seem to be bothered by my presence.

I used my 300 mm when that bee swarm was in my neighbor's tree. I didn't want to piss off that many bees.

Ah, if you have an allergy then most definitely avoid.

Dawg Pics

Processed another cicada image. This one is better than that last one because it is in better focus. I think the shell was much sharper than the cicada in that last image I posted. Live and learn.

cicada profile_5001331.jpg

Dawg Pics

great shots of the Cicadas, i have looked for these but cant find them, i can hear them.

Thanks a bunch, Roy. I have been going out nightly with a light, but I just got lucky catching two at the right time. Of course, I have a Cocker Spaniel that hunts for them, so I guess I am lucky any nymphs make it up the tree at all. :rolleyes:

Dawg Pics

Decided to add this image into my 'learning' thread since it was a totally new type of experience for me. I didn't increase black point or shadows on this one, thus the orange halo.

ECLIPSE GLOW_5001615.jpg

Dawg Pics

Set-up for the eclipse.

My tripod head has some drift, and then it is difficult to loosen the knobs if I tighten them to try to stop the drift. The entire set-up is wobbly including the tripod. I need a new set-up, so recommendations are welcome.

solar set-up_9737.jpg

Last edited:

Bikerbrent

Set-up for the eclipse.

My tripod head has some drift, and then it is difficult to loosen the knobs if I tighten them to try to stop the drift. The entire set-up is wobbly including the tripod. I need a new set-up, so recommendations are welcome.

I know one can spend over $1000 for a Really Right Stuff or Gitzo tripod and head, but do you really need to spend that much to get a great setup, or will other, less costly, brands fill the bill?

Dawg Pics

I know one can spend over $1000 for a Really Right Stuff or Gitzo tripod and head, but do you really need to spend that much to get a great setup, or will other, less costly, brands fill the bill?

I don't need an expensive set-up, just a tight one. :)

A steady tripod and a pan-tilt head maybe.

I was just watching a video on PetaPixel about a fluid head, which is designed for video. The price is reasonable, and it looks like it is pretty easy to use. Might be what I am looking for.

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

Exif data check.
Maybe this will help somebody out. I am using Affinity photo, which strips the capture date.
I imported the image into Adobe Bridge and duplicated the image then saved it as a copy. Pain in the butt, but it worked. The capture date is now in the EXIF data.
Maybe I can figure out a way to export it from Adobe Bridge without having to make a copy.
squirrel_500_2114 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

Practice on one of the dogs. Working on noise reduction in post. Kind of smoothed out his fur too much. For whatever reason, I am not seeing the changes as I make them, so I am guessing. Back to the editing board I go.

Guidery 500_1972 copy.jpg

Second try:
I tried a layer mask to increase exposure just on his face. I was having issues. It doesn't help that I am starting to learn the Wacom tablet again. I am not having a good post processing day.

Guidry 2 500_1972 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

@geowanda
Thanks a bunch and welcome to Nikonites. Usually, when my dogs look like this, it is because they are stalking squirrels. It is a good time to get them with an expression or kind of looking up.

Needa

Challenge Team
Practice on one of the dogs. Working on noise reduction in post. Kind of smoothed out his fur too much. For whatever reason, I am not seeing the changes as I make them, so I am guessing. Back to the editing board I go.

View attachment 273973

Second try:
I tried a layer mask to increase exposure just on his face. I was having issues. It doesn't help that I am starting to learn the Wacom tablet again. I am not having a good post processing day.

View attachment 273974

I see nothing wrong with either of the edits. The first just conveys a softer more huggable dog.

Dawg Pics

I forgot I owned this lens. I was playing with my D80 and shot this in jpg and edited in Affinity just for practice. Darkened the background in one layer and erased the area over her face. Went back and added another levels layer and brightens up her face, which had no effect on the background. Also, relearning the Wacom tablet.

I have no clue why my images are getting darker when I save them or why they are looking compressed. This is a new situation, so I need to figure out what is happening.

Lullah D80.jpg