Dawg Pics is learning new things in 2017.

Dawg Pics

Cicada

Cicada Emerged_5001164.jpg

Dawg Pics

Focus stacking. Never thought to do it before. Of course, noise reduction probably softened it up some, but I needed the practice.

Obsessed with Cicadas right now.

cicada focus stack.jpg

Dawg Pics

[MENTION=41398]"CHRIS"[/MENTION]
I look forward to hearing the Cicadas every year, and I have been tempted to get a can of crickets and release them in the yard so I can listen to them. We have them, but not like when I was a kid. I guess a cd would be easier, though.

My brother used to live in a somewhat rural area near some wetlands. The crickets and frogs were so loud, they couldn't have a conversation outside.

RocketCowboy

[MENTION=41398]"CHRIS"[/MENTION]
I look forward to hearing the Cicadas every year, and I have been tempted to get a can of crickets and release them in the yard so I can listen to them. We have them, but not like when I was a kid. I guess a cd would be easier, though.

My brother used to live in a somewhat rural area near some wetlands. The crickets and frogs were so loud, they couldn't have a conversation outside.

I don't know, seems like Sept/Oct we would have crickets like crazy in Irving/Frisco. They would end up in the garage, on my back porch...it was everything just to keep them out of the house!

I'm really noticing the frog sounds around White Rock Lake lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawg Pics

@RocketCowboy

When I first moved to Arlington, back in the 80's, we had lots of crickets. The area was mostly grassy fields at the time. I guess now that the area is built up, the cricket population isn't as large. I always wondered if lawn mowers thinned out the crickets.

"CHRIS"

@RocketCowboy

When I first moved to Arlington, back in the 80's, we had lots of crickets. The area was mostly grassy fields at the time. I guess now that the area is built up, the cricket population isn't as large. I always wondered if lawn mowers thinned out the crickets.

I wouldn't doubt if the lawn mowers cut them in half:witless:

Dawg Pics

So, I have been searching nightly for emerging cicadas. I just got back from the airport, and there it was. Of course, my camera wasn't on the tripod. I didn't struggle quite as much this time, but the wind was blowing pretty good. I was able to get a couple of decent shots. Too bad my DOF was so narrow in this image or it would have been a much better shot.
There were 2 more that just emerged as well, but I didn't see them until they were completely out of their shells.

cicada emerging wings_5001314.jpg

Dawg Pics

There were some leaves in the way of my light, so I couldn't get the sparkle that I got on that last one. He decided to pull his wings in, which was a better shot.

cicada emerged shell_5001328.jpg

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

I've never actually had a problem with stinging things when photographing them. It seems they are too distracted.

It has been a long time since I have been stung, but allergies run in my family, so I tend to shy away from things with stingers. Turns out this critter wasn't anything to worry about, and he didn't seem to be bothered by my presence.

I used my 300 mm when that bee swarm was in my neighbor's tree. I didn't want to piss off that many bees.