Nikon marketing is screwed up!!

AC016

There are quite a few problems with the ad. First of all, it has been discovered that the photo used, was a stock photo. From that, there is no way of knowing if the glasses in the photo us Nikon lenses and that is what the ad is about. Secondly, the glasses are not even featured in a dominant way in the ad. Thirdly, the camera used is not even a Nikon camera. It's a Fuji X100 - and yes, you can see through the lens with an X100 by using the EVF. Whoever Nikon hired to do this ad, was lazy at best. Whoever at Nikon signed off on this, should be fired. Saying that the marketing department may not know the full line of Nikon cameras, is just lame - same goes if you want to use the excuse of "different divisions". This is equal to Ford making an ad for Motorcraft car parts and using a Chevrolet as a car for the ad and using gneeric car parts from NAPA. It's a complete fail.

AC016

Nikon has a line of eyewear. While this poster would be confusing in a camera shop if you didn't know about the eyewear line, it would be perfectly at home on display in a optometrist's office. For those with Facebook, you can see their 'I See' campaign here https://www.facebook.com/nikonlenswear

If you don't have Facebook... Their cover picture says 'I See Sweet Dreams Through Nikon Spectacle Lenses' with a girl wearing eyeglasses. There are pictures down the page that say 'I See Mexico Through Nikon Spectacle Lenses', another saying 'I See Italy Through Nikon Spectacle Lenses', etc. down the page. It is simply an ad campaign for Nikon for their SEE series eyeglasses.

If you look at the photo of the poster closely, you will notice camera gear in the background. The guy who took the photo, said the poster was in the window of a camera/optometrist store.

WayneF

There are quite a few problems with the ad. First of all, it has been discovered that the photo used, was a stock photo. From that, there is no way of knowing if the glasses in the photo us Nikon lenses and that is what the ad is about. Secondly, the glasses are not even featured in a dominant way in the ad. Thirdly, the camera used is not even a Nikon camera. It's a Fuji X100 - and yes, you can see through the lens with an X100 by using the EVF. Whoever Nikon hired to do this ad, was lazy at best. Whoever at Nikon signed off on this, should be fired. Saying that the marketing department may not know the full line of Nikon cameras, is just lame - same goes if you want to use the excuse of "different divisions". This is equal to Ford making an ad for Motorcraft car parts and using a Chevrolet as a car for the ad and using gneeric car parts from NAPA. It's a complete fail.

First, we need evidence this ever was a Nikon ad. It just looks like a stupid joke to me.

AC016

1. Nikon probably has an Ad Agency do their marketing. IOW, no Nikon camera people were involved in that Ad.
2. The ad is clearly aimed at their eyeglass lens segment. Again, a fairly oblique tangent to their camera market.
3. If you're aiming at an eyeglass market, you probably don't want to distract from that by including complex cameras with fancy dials and buttons... And deliberately uncomplicate the ad with only a minor reference to make the camera maker connection.

Yeah, real complicated, lol
download.jpg

AC016

First, we need evidence this ever was a Nikon ad. It just looks like a stupid joke to me.

If you look at the photo of the poster, you can clearly see a reflection in the window. I just can't see anyone taking the time to do this up in Photoshop. To what end? But hey, that's just me.

WayneF

If you look at the photo of the poster, you can clearly see a reflection in the window. I just can't see anyone taking the time to do this up in Photoshop. To what end? But hey, that's just me.

It is just a photo, from who and how, and where it was ever used, we don't know. The camera strap connector on our right shows a dark shadow below it, the one on our left does not? Looks fake.

Call me a non-believer. Impossible to believe this is from Nikon, but an easy automatic assumption to imagine some idiot somewhere though it would be funny.

Last edited:

AC016

It is just a photo, from who and how, and where it was ever used, we don't know. The camera strap connector on our right shows a dark shadow below it, the one on our left does not? Looks fake.

Call me a non-believer. Impossible to believe this is from Nikon, but an easy automatic assumption to imagine some idiot somewhere though it would be funny.

Ask the guy who took the photo: https://twitter.com/davymac . You're over thinking it.

carguy

If you look at the photo of the poster closely, you will notice camera gear in the background. The guy who took the photo, said the poster was in the window of a camera/optometrist store.

Agreed. It's a picture of the poster hanging in the window of a business of some kind. Likely a camera/photography gear related establishment.

People are reading way too much into this one. Seriously.

Back to my normal day.

Dawg Pics

Looks real to me.

If it is real, then it is real dumb. For all the reasons stated above in @AC016 post. I made the same arguments in a previous reply then decided not to post it. Figured nobody cares about my opinion that much. I do that a lot.

It is lazy and a stupid image as well. A recent digital camera, graph paper and an ink pen. Um, no... Not good at all.

The president of Nikon would be pissed if he new about the Fuji camera in a Nikon ad.

Stoshowicz

I see weak irony in this ad campaign .. for instance ,,

"What is your first sight on a Tuesday morning?" And the pic is of someone looking at a blank section of wall.

and so.... I see our heritage , shows someone else's camera.

explaining further, WE dont see the spectacle. So the amazing weather is just a swirl in the dark valley, the bright blues that we are protected from are dim washed out skies etc. Which would you rather see? well I'd rather see the subject than the background :) ( or at least not the back of someones head)

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

Whoever made the poster used a Shuttesrock photo without thinking about Nikon being a camera brand. It was just a dumb oversight.

I understand @WayneF concern regarding legitimacy. Too many bloggers think they are journalists and copy/paste articles without any verification.

Petapixel has a statement from Nikon.
Oops: This Nikon Ad Shows a Fujifilm Camera

I made the mistake of reading the comments. Oh, brother. If you want to keep your sanity, don't do it. I should have known better.

Last edited:

Danno

That is 10-15 minutes of my life I will never get back... and I got sucked into like a spider in an emptying drain... oh well.

Bill4282

Glasses ad targeting people who use them. Most of the public only connects that Nikon, a camera maker with a good reputation, also makes glasses so the glasses must be good also. They could have used a rifle scope to advertise in a outdoors mag with the same effect.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk