Which Nikon to get next?

hrstrat57

Bill,

If you must have NAS GAS spend the dough on glass.

We know you want a 80-200 AF D f 2.8 and we know you can't have mine! Go get one and then spend the rest of the dough on a nice trip to take pics with the wonderful kit you already have! Or maybe the new Nikkor 300 VR F4?

(and continue to wait for the D400, like you I am being very patient!)

You have a brilliant kit of cameras - enjoy!

:)

Bill16

First I decided that I don't need a DX Nikon buddy! I'm just not shooting anything requiring that much reach, and the D800E crops really nice when more reach is needed! :)

I only have 2-4 lenses that I am interested in, and I'm in no real hurry to get them right away. I will get them soon enough, on the ones I want in the near future!:)

The D810 will give me the same iso abilities as the d750 but with all the perks I love about the D8xx series Nikon's! A wide lens on say the D800E and a longer lens like the 80mm-200mm on the D810, using my black rapid double harness! Ooooh what a great kit that will work out to be! :D

And I can pull out my D700 whenever I want to shoot a lot of shots at a time, taking advantage of their smaller files! :D

See buddy, I do have a plan in mind that will work very well for me! :)

Bill,

If you must have NAS GAS spend the dough on glass.

We know you want a 80-200 AF D f 2.8 and we know you can't have mine! Go get one and then spend the rest of the dough on a nice trip to take pics with the wonderful kit you already have! Or maybe the new Nikkor 300 VR F4?

(and continue to wait for the D400, like you I am being very patient!)

You have a brilliant kit of cameras - enjoy!

:)

Last edited:

hrstrat57

@Bill16 I don't see D810 v D800E.

I think the next Nikon 800 series will be the one for studio/ landscape shooters.

800 series not my thing anyway tho - I want a D4 and a D400 if I was wish shopping! I would never want more than one DX and FX cam each. More high end glass is my goal!

Tho if D400 does 10fps and ISO 3200 I won't be waiting!

Keep us all posted!

Blacktop

@Bill16 I don't see D810 v D800E.

I think the next Nikon 800 series will be the one for studio/ landscape shooters.

800 series not my thing anyway tho - I want a D4 and a D400 if I was wish shopping! I would never want more than one DX and FX cam each. More high end glass is my goal!

Tho if D400 does 10fps and ISO 3200 I won't be waiting!

Keep us all posted!

If it does ISO 6400 as clean as the D750, I'll be selling my D750 for it. There is nothing out there right now other then perhaps the D4/D4S that will do ISO 6400 let alone ISO 12,800 as clean as the D750. Not even the D810.

Bill16

How will you know if the D400 is as clean my friend?

If it does ISO 6400 as clean as the D750, I'll be selling my D750 for it. There is nothing out there right now other then perhaps the D4/D4S that will do ISO 6400 let alone ISO 12,800 as clean as the D750. Not even the D810.

hrstrat57

@Blacktop your D7100/D750 combo is awesome! I have dialed in the pro layout having started my Nikon quest with the D300 after switching from A mount.

If I was building a Nikon kit from scratch your setup would be my goal!!!

I will add that @Marcel has seriously made me desire a Df!

Avoiding NAS GAS is very difficult when one hangs around these parts! My staying focused on the D400 release has actually helped me keep my money in my pocket! I have passed up on multiple deals I might otherwise have bitten on.

Last edited:

Bill16

Though not as clean at the highest iso, the D810 will do fine for me, especially with all the D8xx features! But I am sure glad you love your D750! It is a great camera!:)

Vincent

Let us face it: with a D700 and a D800E you have more then most people (maybe including you) need.

I'm also someone who likes to have 2 bodies ready with different lenses.
Clearly you have considered glass and trips, who are needed investments to keep shooting interesting.

Personally adding a D800E seems only a good idea if you need to switch fast and professionally between the 2 bodies (no hesitation, perfect control).
The D400 first see it then believe it, hopes are high though.

Recently I was considering a second hand D4, finally will not do that. Rumors of a D5 do not take away what a wonder that D4 machine is, it will beat your D700 and complement the D800E.
The D810 is a great machine, better then the D800E, but more in subtle things like measuring, not that different for the rest.

I fear the D610 would disappoint. The D750 seems to please some and be liked less by others.

Few people know all the cameras and only you know the way you want to shoot.
Finally you need to make up your mind, what advantages you are looking for, what disadvantages you will accept or not, what timeframe you take to decide.

Personally I'm still on track for a D750, since I want the low light AF, reasonable ISO performance and light build, for 2018 only though.

Bill16

Maybe I aught to buy a D750 and a D7200 instead of a D810, since they are well liked and the cost is about the same! What do you think?

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

@mikew You have used both the D750 and the D7200, so do you think I should pic them over the D810 buddy? :)

I picked the D750 when i thought i had finished birding,i wanted new and could not justify the cost of a new D810,i got the D7200 to go back to birding for the reach and crop ability,i dont think either of those would do any more for you than the D810 so follow your heart:D.

hrstrat57

I would rather have a D750 and a D7200 vs 1 D810 unless I was shooting studio work or landscape exclusively.

Not even close @Bill16.

The question for you tho as you make that huge leap is will that satisfy your NAS GAS?

Either choice is an immense commitment.....but with the D750/D7200 combo IMHO you would be approaching ultimate amateur/prosumer status capable of world class results without the ridiculous 36MP file size devouring every device your own......

Again, I would not consider a D8xx camera so consider my opinion is very biased.

Good thread here, a lot of very nice comments regarding a question many people serious about digital photography likely have but are afraid to ask!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
NAS GAS can become quite a monster in a household. One has to remember that a camera is "supposed" to be a tool to create and record images. Digital cameras have evolved quite a bit in the last years and it is companies sales dept. that enjoy creating a buzz and desires for their products. The Megapixel race is getting pointless for a lot of us I suspect (I'm not talking about pros here). If photographers were to count how many prints larger than 16"x20" they have printed in the last year, then maybe they would be happy with a 12 Mp camera. Getting to a 36 or 50 Mp camera will only let you print larger, it won't make a hoot of a difference for pictures posted on the Net.

But pride and personal insecurities are feeding our "wants" and our ego gets confused between "want" and need.

Happy Black Friday everyone, I hope you won't spend more than you can afford.