Which Nikon to get next?

Bill16

Well after thinking about all of the advice, I came up with the best solution for me if I can manage it. To get all the things I want plus the better iso I think the D810 would be the best choice for my next Nikon! :)
Though I will have to wait at least a month before I can buy a OEM battery grip! :(

mikew_RIP

Well after thinking about all of the advice, I came up with the best solution for me if I can manage it. To get all the things I want plus the better iso I think the D810 would be the best choice for my next Nikon! :)
Though I will have to wait at least a month before I can buy a OEM battery grip! :(

Dont think it matters Bill,what ever you dont buy this time you can buy next time :D

Bill16

Now here is another decision I could use some advice with! New grey market D810 or used low actuation count US model D810? I'm leaning towards used, but new grey market might be easier to find! The used one at Adoroma cost as much as the grey market ones, and the used US versions seem to be all auctions not (buy it now) on eBay!
What version would you recommend I choose?

Bill16

Thanks Mike buddy that makes a lot of sense! I think grey market is the way I'm leaning, though it puts the price over $2000.00 and makes it harder to come up with enough money for it.

My answer is always if you trust the warranty then go grey,if you buy secondhand it could be grey,sellers have been known to lie:D

mikew_RIP

Thanks Mike buddy that makes a lot of sense! I think grey market is the way I'm leaning, though it puts the price over $2000.00 and makes it harder to come up with enough money for it.

I have only one reason i dont use the grey market,over 40 years of trading with my local dealer,what he cant match in price he matches in service,my Tamron lens was away twice for four weeks each time he loaned me a long lens,then after nearly 12 months he allowed me the full purchase price as trade in value,the only things i buy grey are the ones he doesn't sell.
Thats not because i have loads of money its because ime old enough to remember and still want good service.

Bill16

I think your reasoning is exactly how I would see it if I were in your position! I just don't have a local camera shop as far as I know, so all my purchases of photography gear has been on line.

I have only one reason i dont use the grey market,over 40 years of trading with my local dealer,what he cant match in price he matches in service,my Tamron lens was away twice for four weeks each time he loaned me a long lens,then after nearly 12 months he allowed me the full purchase price as trade in value,the only things i buy grey are the ones he doesn't sell.
Thats not because i have loads of money its because ime old enough to remember and still want good service.

Bill16

I did some checking with one of my favorite sites for comparing Nikon models, and was very pleased with the D810 vs D750 comparison! In all the features that matter to me, the D810 either matches the D750 specs or excels over it! Considering the D750 is seen as a great model, that is quite a plus for the D810! Here is the link to the comparison at snapsort!

Specifications - Nikon D750 vs Nikon D810

And other than the higher iso abilities of the D750, I believe the D800E should be pretty close in specs too! :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Wait....WHAT?!! I just read this thread for the first time (as well as a second time to let it all sink in :rolleyes:). If you are going to get another 8xx body, then sell your D700 and put the money towards a D8xx.

That said...I agree with Don in that you should put the money into glass. Bodies will come and go, but IMHO investing in glass is a much more worthwhile choice than continuously buying different camera bodies. Camera manufacturers release new bodies on a regular basis hoping that customers will choose to upgrade. And when the D820 comes out (or whatever the next D8xx body will be called), I'm afraid you will want to jump ship to get one. And in the long run, it costs a lot more to do so...unless the person makes a living with photography and uses a camera body til it's pretty much shot (excuse the pun ;)).

My 3 main bodies are the D750, D610, and D7100. While I'm not a fan of the DX body, I bought the D7100 for shooting the drama students' productions. And it works well coupled with a telephoto and/or macro lens. That way I have no desire to buy a tele-converter--I'm not into birding or anything that would require a lengthy telephoto lens either so my tele mounted on the D7100 takes care of my needs. The D610 is no slouch either so I have no qualms choosing to use it. I have 2 FX bodies because I prefer having one as a back-up should I ever need it.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you will buy something that will satisfy your hunger and last you for the next several years. :)

Bill16

The D810 would give me the same iso advantages as your D750 gives you my friend! The two D8XX cameras will give me my FX needs and back up, and the D700 will continue to be my camera choice if I need to take a lot of photos at a time, for their small files easier to handle! :)
This will solve my iso needs, and that pretty much covers the last of my Nikon body needs/wants! I don't see me buying anymore DSLRs unless I find some older models I want to collect. But I will have all the serious user models I plan to have for some time to come my friend!
As far as lenses go I only have two to four lenses I'm seriously interested in getting, and I'm not in a super hurry to get them! :)

Thanks Cindy my friend for your concern, and advice! :)

Blacktop

The D810 would give me the same iso advantages as your D750 gives you my friend! The two D8XX cameras will give me my FX needs and back up, and the D700 will continue to be my camera choice if I need to take a lot of photos at a time, for their small files easier to handle! :)
This will solve my iso needs, and that pretty much covers the last of my Nikon body needs/wants! I don't see me buying anymore DSLRs unless I find some older models I want to collect. But I will have all the serious user models I plan to have for some time to come my friend!
As far as lenses go I only have two to four lenses I'm seriously interested in getting, and I'm not in a super hurry to get them! :)

Thanks Cindy my friend for your concern, and advice! :)

If that was the case, I would have chosen the D810 when I was going back and forth between the two, for months.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
....the D700 will continue to be my camera choice if I need to take a lot of photos at a time, for their small files easier to handle! :)

When I take photos of the drama students, the files do take up space on my computer's hard drive since I take at least 300 on any one night. That's a lot of space for RAW files (plus I shoot one slot of jpegs that I also keep until I've finished editing all the images). So I do understand your reasoning.

Does anyone know of a portable hard drive that will take CF cards directly? @Don Kuyendall once mentioned they are made with slots for SD cards. If they are made Bill, you could opt to get one of them and shoot as many images as you wish with the D8xx body eliminating the need for the D700. You could load your photos directly onto the portable hard drive.

Bill16

That is OK I enjoy shooting with my D700 now and then! Later I will upgrade my computer so I'll be able to handle those large 40mb files easier! But I will still enjoy taking my D700 out sometimes for fun! I don't want rid of it. I had to sell off pretty much all of my old DSLRs, and I don't want to sell off anymore, especially my FX models!lol :)

But thank you very much for the thought Cindy! Much appreciated my friend! :)

When I take photos of the drama students, the files do take up space on my computer's hard drive since I take at least 300 on any one night. That's a lot of space for RAW files (plus I shoot one slot of jpegs that I also keep until I've finished editing all the images). So I do understand your reasoning.

Does anyone know of a portable hard drive that will take CF cards directly? @Don Kuyendall once mentioned they are made with slots for SD cards. If they are made Bill, you could opt to get one of them and shoot as many images as you wish with the D8xx body eliminating the need for the D700. You could load your photos directly onto the portable hard drive.

Bill16

PS I already have the CF adapter cards that you can put sd cards in! :) But I don't think my hard drive has a sd card plug in.