nidding's first year of shooting - 365 2014

nidding

Re: nidding's first year of shooting

Day 21

Meeting with a couple of friends for some nice food, I planned on taking some pictures of our dishes. This one in particular does puzzle me a bit. The focus,, to mee, seems to be on the lettuce in the foreground, but the rest of the plate is somewhat out of focus. As I was on f/9.0 this seems a bit strange. Shouldn't DOF be greater than that with a kit lense?

wud

Day 21

Meeting with a couple of friends for some nice food, I planned on taking some pictures of our dishes. This one in particular does puzzle me a bit. The focus,, to mee, seems to be on the lettuce in the foreground, but the rest of the plate is somewhat out of focus. As I was on f/9.0 this seems a bit strange. Shouldn't DOF be greater than that with a kit lense?

It depends on the distance. Look at this dof calculator, that should give you a better idea: Online Depth of Field Calculator

You can see your settings in your exif data, and place that in the dof calculator (it does meters too).

nidding

It depends on the distance. Look at this dof calculator, that should give you a better idea: Online Depth of Field Calculator

You can see your settings in your exif data, and place that in the dof calculator (it does meters too).
Great page! That's bookmarked :) Thanks wud :)
I can see that I should have expected a DOF of around 5cm, so that's not nearly enough for a full plate. I also used a shutter time of 1/30, which would be a little too slow for a focal length of 48mm DF, but as I used a flash as the main light source, that shouldn't be a problem, should it?

wud

Great page! That's bookmarked :) Thanks wud :)
I can see that I should have expected a DOF of around 5cm, so that's not nearly enough for a full plate. I also used a shutter time of 1/30, which would be a little too slow for a focal length of 48mm DF, but as I used a flash as the main light source, that shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Ah I didn't notice you used flash. Well done. Looking closer, you got it a little brighter right-top side. Did you bounce it up in the sealing?

I dont know! No, I wanna say. The image looks fine and clear.
Im not that good with flash... most of the time I just hate flash a little bit :p

nidding

Thank you :)
I believe it was bounced on the ceiling, yes. It was a high ceiling so it bounced pretty well. Unfortunately it did underexpose as well (I use an old flash so don't have TTL).
...I kinda hate flash to. Never get a natural result.

Last edited:

nidding

Here we go with a little follow up. As the theme might indicate, I actually got married today, so I am very happy. I did have time to take a macro of my wedding band :) Happy times!

nidding

Thank you all :)

Day 24

Our girl is a little camera shy. Her teddy bear is more than willing to cover up for her, though :)