nidding's first year of shooting - 365 2014

nidding

Re: nidding's first year of shooting

Day 10

I literally had zero minutes of sleep last night. So my head is a bit messed up. Luckily I was able to take a good long nap. So why not turn the living room into a little photo set for recreation ;)

snaphappy

A smooth/plain background would put more focus on the texture of the GF's handiwork which I think is what she'd like you to show off in your photos of her work :)

LOVE day 10 great set up and capture

nidding

A smooth/plain background would put more focus on the texture of the GF's handiwork which I think is what she'd like you to show off in your photos of her work :)

LOVE day 10 great set up and capture
Exactly. It was actually her own idea with the rug as a background (here I am, taking NO responsibility for errors :D), but I don't think she'll be hard to convince to use something else. Maybe just a plain wooded table...

And thank you very much. I've been reading some really, really old books the last couple of days for my exam, so it seemed appropriate to use some of the for a shot ;)

nidding

Day 13

We finally got some snow :)
Unfortunately it kept pouring down with this really wet-almost-rain stuff, when I went out to get some nice snowy macros. So instead of that, I had to just take a really quick shot of a bridge so as to not drown my camera. Didn't turn out as I hoped, but hey! - it's picture number 13 ;)

RockyNH_RIP

I really like the bridge and the dimly lit book... both are nicely done and I can relate to them...

Pat in NH

Last edited:

nidding

Thank you Pat :)
I means a lot that some of the pictures are actually worth looking at for some people :)

I have to say that I still feel a little helpless most of the time when taking photos. Sometimes I can get what I'm trying to bring out, and sometimes it just doesn't work at all. And probably also because I can't help but compare to the many awesome photographies coming up here every day :) But none the less, I already think I can feel some sort of confidence sneaking in, at this very early point in the 365. Shooting something new every day and always having the camera nea by just seems to make one look for images and get ideas all the time. So almost two weeks into this project I can say that I feel like I will learn A LOT from this, and gain the crucial experience that lets you translate your ideas into images. And I look forward to the last 342 days of learning :)

nidding

Also, if anyone dropping by my thread knows of any good After Shot Pro tutorials out there, I'd be happy to know. I'm very much just guessing when working with the RAW file. So a good beginners' guide would be more than welcome :)

nidding

Thank you Kevin.
For once this was actually the shot I went hunting for :) I have seen an awesome foggy tree in some other 365 that I can't remember the owner of, but which I really liked and a path in a forest, also foggy, that I also liked (think that was on flickr). Today the weather was foggy so I though I wanted to try and 'copy' one of those two images. So far so good. I tried to turn down the contrast down on everything but the tree, and give the tree somewhat more contrast and turn up the blacks on that too, so as to draw all attention to that. I don't know if it worked, but I'd love to have some thoughts on that :)

wud

Re: nidding's first year of shooting (My 365)

It's Backdoor Hippie :) He posted an awesome foggy tree shot in his 365 thread.
It looks very good - funny we did the same image today :) I think you managed to get the tree pop out. Maybe a very subtle vignetting could be an idea?

Sent from Tapatalk

nidding

Yep. That's the one! Thank you :) That is a really awesome shot he made there.

And thanks a lot for the comment as well. A vignette could probably help a lot. I'll try that tomorrow :)
There sure is some resemblance to them. I think the weather probly did its part in choosing for us ;)

nidding

So I played a little with some of the advice in backdoorhippie's thread, and also tried some vignetting. Still lots of room for improvement, but I definitely like this version better :)