Moab Man 2015 Photo Collection

Moab Man

Shooting today with my 300mm f/4.

Shot with a teleconvertor and at high ISO 1250 as it was predominantly in the shade. Moderate cropping. Late low afternoon sun casting a strong blue on the water.

I can't explain it, and would even argue myself otherwise, but I just don't see images as degraded by high ISO on this lens as I have on others. I would never venture this high of an ISO on a crop sensor except for Milky Way photography.
DSC_5045_Web.jpg

Last edited:

Moab Man

1/3 crop. Shot using continuous focus with 9 points. Total of 17 with this young lab sprinting a line about 30 degrees off from me to its ball thrower. Of the 17 focus was missed on two shots which of course could have always been me as the dog was sprinting quickly. Good lighting for the lens and camera to find contrast to focus/track the target. I was impressed with how sharp the dog came out.

Last shot of today lens trial.
DSC_5062_Web.jpg

RON_RIP

Shot with a teleconvertor and at high ISO 1250 as it was predominantly in the shade. Moderate cropping. Late low afternoon sun casting a strong blue on the water.

I can't explain it, and would even argue myself otherwise, but I just don't see images as degraded by high ISO on this lens as I have on others. I would never venture this high of an ISO on a crop sensor except for Milky Way photography.
View attachment 140805
I think George that it is a combination of the lens and D7100 body that are allowing for the higher ISO.

Moab Man

A couple of bird photos to add.

This one is a Northern Harrier caught at the critical moment of going in for the kill.
DSC_5131_Web.jpg

And these to good looking devils flew overhead at a pretty good altitude but the 300mm brought them in nicely.
DSC_5189_Web.jpg

Moab Man

Wrapping up photos for a senior photo shoot. For the back of their announcement cards they wanted to do something different. I suggested maybe we do a Polaroid collage. What do you think?

Assembled.jpg

Moab Man

Fearless Jedi Night

This little one was battling the forces of older Sith Lord brothers. The two Sith Lords fought from on top of the wall keeping the little Jedi Knight brother standing on the grass. After the two older ones leapt from the wall to live and battle another day, this little guy threw himself off the wall with light-saber in hand to pursue his Scythe Lord brothers. It was quite a little jump. In the words of Master Yoda, "Not to be detoured this Jedi was."

DSC_2701_Web.jpg

Moab Man

Had some great cloud structure. Nothing of interest to really compliment the clouds, but I couldn't resist shooting the clouds themselves.

Getting set up.
DSC_5324_Web.jpg

DSC_5308_Web.jpg

DSC_5310_Web.jpg

DSC_5330_Web.jpg

Woodyg3

Contributor
Back in the BW film days, I used a red filter a lot. I still use the red filter effect in post production quite a bit. I love those dramatic skies! :)

Moab Man

Back in the BW film days, I used a red filter a lot. I still use the red filter effect in post production quite a bit. I love those dramatic skies! :)
I need to shoot an image twice and compare a post pseudo red filter and shooting with a red filter. I have read very authoritative pieces saying a filter is and is not needed to get the best image. Personally I lean towards a real filter, but am not opposed to proving myself wrong.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I need to shoot an image twice and compare a post pseudo red filter and shooting with a red filter. I have read very authoritative pieces saying a filter is and is not needed to get the best image. Personally I lean towards a real filter, but am not opposed to proving myself wrong.

I would bet that using a filter and in camera B&W would produce the best results. But "best" is subjective, so I guess there's no way to say definitively. :)