Moab Man 2015 Photo Collection

Moab Man

This is a shot I recovered (quite surprised) from the horrible smog and haze. Add to it a heavy cloud layer that muted any color or light. Woohoo! We have at least another week in these dreary conditions. That's funny, I just noticed I put the wrong year on it. First time I have goofed the year this year.

DSC_2585.jpg

Last edited:

Moab Man

Oh, come now. Just bookmark this place Search for a bird by entering name, description, and keywords, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology or get yourself the Sibley's Guide for you iPhone/iPad. ;)

And yes, Juncos are extremely camera shy, particularly the western varieties. Tried for 3 days in CO to capture a decent shot of one in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and never did - even though they were everywhere.

I will bookmark and use... so I can stay in compliance :)

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is a shot I recovered (quite surprised) from the horrible smog and haze. Add to it a heavy cloud layer that muted any color or light. Woohoo! We have at least another week in these dreary conditions. That's funny, I just noticed I put the wrong year on it. First time I have goofed the year this year.

View attachment 132973

Really nice shot George.

Moab Man

We are still buried in haze, smog, a cloud layer just above the ground, and a cloud layer up on the mountains. All in all... virtually no light seems to make it down to the planet in our neck of the woods. However, that did not stop Moab Lady and myself from going out to shoot. We decided to head up to Snowbasin Ski Resort to see what we could find. We scored as there was the USSA Intermountain Division ski competition going on. As I said, the conditions were terrible with no light to really create contrast, but that's what editing is for I guess. Wished the images could have been sharper but when you're shooting through the clouds you take what you can get. Add to it we were shooting from the bottom of the mountain. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with how it they came out.

So you had a bad day?
DSC_3691.jpg

DSC_3710.jpg

More to come... wife wants food NOW!

Moab Man

Wife and I went out to shoot today. Seems many of the birds moved on between last weekend and this.

Shot this beautiful gal after I startled her out of her hiding spot by accident. Would love to see the male as they are typically the more colorful, but she was darn pretty.
DSC_4002.jpg

A few Arctic Tundra Swans. These guys and gals were probably a good 1/3 of a mile away. Used the Tamron 200-500mm and wished I had the 150-600mm for it's improved optics. However, with a good bit of photoshop work (who are we kidding - it was ALOT of photoshop applied to sharpen up the image due to soft optics), cleanup, and applying the Filter/Sharped/Shake Reduction it cleaned up really nicely. For those of you with CC, and you have a soft image, try apply the Shake Reduction filter. It really tightened up the photo nicely to my surprise.
DSC_4057.jpg

There are many overflow spillway dams throughout the bird reserve. Looking down for a moment I saw this and thought it was so cool.
DSC_3951.jpg

Moab Man

This photo is clearly out of season. For that matter, it's not even from this year or last. However, as part of improving my skills, I am pulling up old photos that I have never got around to editing. So with that said... let's all pretend it's summer here on the top side of the world.

DSC_1733_Web.jpg

Moab Man

One more for tonight.

Such powerful docile beasts... until a tourist comes along and pisses them off. At which point they become the opposite of docile and many times give free flying lessons to tourists.

DSC_1589_Web.jpg