D7000 Focus issues

Carolina Photo Guy

Do not buy this camera. I had two cameras one was refurbished one brand new and they both have problems with the focus or back focusing issue. Nikon has ack'd the problem but after two repairs they were not able to fix the problem. All my lenses are original Nikon DX. Lots of people are not aware of this problem that exists. The problem is very noticeable once you start cropping the image. I think they have problem with the entire D7000 batch but they do not want to admit that because it's going to be very costly to repair each camera that is currently on the market. I shot in AF-C, AF-S and AF-A mode and the images were not clear and the camera is inconsistent. I never had a problem with my D70, D60, D200 & D300. I think their customer service and repair department is incompetent to handle this kind of problems and since our last conversation they are not responding to my emails or phone calls. I shot approx 3000 images @ 5 different events and 2000 of them are out of focus. Nikon does not want to justify or deny my claims based on the samples provided to them.
Again, do not buy this camera. The web is flooded with complaints of this nature.

I sense some slight dissatisfaction with Nikon's service. Am I correct in this? :confused:

DW_

I'm more convinced than every these so-called focusing issues are 90% operator error and the normal 10% manufacturer errors. Yes, some camera's may have issues and yes, most, if not all the cheaper Nikon lenses, need focal adjustments but the key is resolution. None of my top tier lenses needed a hint of adjustment and all of my lower tier lenses did. The D7000 resolution will make all these small imperfections stand out in a crowd. Owners of this camera need to pay attention to aperture, shutter speed and ISO. You can't get away with using the D7000 as an expensive point and shoot like you can with most other Nikon bodies. Put the time and energy in and it'll pay off in spades!

20120301-_1DW3629-sm.jpg

Falcon1

Re: D7000 Focus issues - the problem is real!

Focus point on the license plate.

Focus Viewfinder 1
6802604626_a1df5c75b8_o.jpg

Focus Viewfinder 2
6802604860_da3480d518_o.jpg
Focus LiveView 1
6948716465_0caced1c45_o.jpg
Focus indoors - both viewfinder focus in AF-C mode (single point), focus on his right eye. #1 - OOF
6948732639_cfc49d407c_o.jpg
#2 - In Focus
6802621410_6f2f0eefe5_o.jpg
There are many GB's of similar behaviour - many OOF is even worse than I show here! I always get focus confirmation beep before I shoot. My camera is in its 2nd repair at Nikon!

Last edited:

Falcon1

4 questions - what lens did you use for these photos?, what was the shutter speed, aperture and ISO?
Actually all these samples are Nikon 50g f/1.8 lens (wide open) but all of my lenses show same problems. Shutter Speed 1/250 on the plant samples, 1/200 on the portrait (Flash), 1/1000 on the car samples. ISO100 on all.

DW_

Could the fact you're setting the lens wide open have anything to do with the softness? Have you tried this with the lens stopped down to the sweet spot apertures, typically 2 or 3 stops above maximum?

Falcon1

Could the fact you're setting the lens wide open have anything to do with the softness? Have you tried this with the lens stopped down to the sweet spot apertures, typically 2 or 3 stops above maximum?
No, this is just wrong focus. When the focus is correct then it is super-sharp wide open.

DW_

Think about what you're saying. When the aperture is wide open you're telling the lens to focus only on a narrow swath of 3-dimensional space. And everything else will be, or better yet, must be out of focus. This is the very definition of depth of field. Granted, your lens may be in need of some fine tuning but no lens in the world wil focus perfectily wide open on anything as thick as an entire human being from only 3 feet away. What lens are you using? Is it an off-brand lens, by any chance? And why did you use AF-C instead of AF-S?

Falcon1

DWPhotos, I don't need lecture about DOF... I'm not complaining that "entire human" should be in focus but the eye which I focus on should! Check the OOF portrait, I focused on the same eye as is in focus in the correct focus portrait, the hand (sleeve) is now all of the sudden in focus which I didn't ask for.

I have both used AF-S and AF-C both with single area focus point and it just doesn't matter regarding my issue, the focus is just not reliable.

I told you, in these examples I used Nikon 50G f/1.8 but like I said it happens with all my lenses but of course it becomes more obvious as you go in telephoto range of lenses.

DW_

Ah, you solved your own problem and made my earlier point, all at once - "the hand (sleeve) is now all of the sudden in focus which I didn't ask for". Fortunately for you the D7000 has a AF fine tuning that will easily remedy a front focus issues. No need to send the body to Nikon. Nevertheless, I wish you good luck in your pursuits.

Falcon1

Ah, you solved your own problem and made my earlier point, all at once - "the hand (sleeve) is now all of the sudden in focus which I didn't ask for". Fortunately for you the D7000 has a AF fine tuning that will easily remedy a front focus issues. No need to send the body to Nikon. Nevertheless, I wish you good luck in your pursuits.
You are obviously not understanding the problem! AF fine tuning does not help because the focus is not consistent, sometimes it is right and more often it is wrong.

ccoulson

HI Falcon1

Im a D7000 user who has been through what you are going through.

I sent my photos into Nikon, and they diagnosed a focusing issue with my camera. I sent the camera in and within a week I had the camera back. The camera was MUCH better, but I still wasnt happy with it. So i fine tuned each lens, then I read two books. Mastering the D7000 and David Busches d7000.

Since I had my NIKON repaired (And I wouldnt stop until you are happy with your camera, keep sending it!!!), and by carefully studying the Auto focus system for this camera, I have found that where before, I would have mayve 30% of my photos in focus, I now have 85% in focus... and most of the time i can diagnose the other 15% as being my error.

I get really frustrated when I hear people say that it is user error with these cameras because I truly feel that there are some of these cameras that do have legit issues. Because I noticed a HUGE difference in this camera when it came back from Nikon. However, It wasnt until I Spent time researching and practicing with my camera have I been able to get the results that I am happy with.

Im sorry that you are having this problem. Ive had it too, and It was really maddening knowing that I spent all this money on this camera that is giving me crappy results I felt so cheated. especially since the camera still isnt paid for. Its also even more infuriating to know that some people out there are really happy with their cameras and have had no problem at all then they tell you that its your fault just because their camera is fine... its unfortunate that this is an issue, but I really feel like it is.

And I honestly think that there are few people here at Nikonites that didnt have some sort of learning curve with this autofocusing system. Its very complex

Email me if you have any questions, I hope that You can get your camera looked at. And good luck.

Last edited:

Shewashere

HI Falcon1

Im a D7000 user who has been through what you are going through.

I sent my photos into Nikon, and they diagnosed a focusing issue with my camera. I sent the camera in and within a week I had the camera back. The camera was MUCH better, but I still wasnt happy with it. So i fine tuned each lens, then I read two books. Mastering the D7000 and David Busches d7000.

Since I had my NIKON repaired (And I wouldnt stop until you are happy with your camera, keep sending it!!!), and by carefully studying the Auto focus system for this camera, I have found that where before, I would have mayve 30% of my photos in focus, I now have 85% in focus... and most of the time i can diagnose the other 15% as being my error.

I get really frustrated when I hear people say that it is user error with these cameras because I truly feel that there are some of these cameras that do have legit issues. Because I noticed a HUGE difference in this camera when it came back from Nikon. However, It wasnt until I Spent time researching and practicing with my camera have I been able to get the results that I am happy with.

Im sorry that you are having this problem. Ive had it too, and It was really maddening knowing that I spent all this money on this camera that is giving me crappy results I felt so cheated. especially since the camera still isnt paid for. Its also even more infuriating to know that some people out there are really happy with their cameras and have had no problem at all then they tell you that its your fault just because their camera is fine... its unfortunate that this is an issue, but I really feel like it is.

And I honestly think that there are few people here at Nikonites that didnt have some sort of learning curve with this autofocusing system. Its very complex

Email me if you have any questions, I hope that You can get your camera looked at. And good luck.

I am relieved to read this. I've had frustrating focus problems as well. I sent my camera in to Nikon on Monday in hopes of a fix. My sample pictures with no fine tune adjust on were so bizarre. The camera would grab focus properly on maybe 1 of every 3 shots. I tried to focus on areas of good contrast to get a good sample. I had assumed it was back focus issue and had fine tuned all of my lenses (the largest difference being about -14), but looking the shooting samples I sent with fine tune off in the Nikon software where I could see my focal point was eye opening. In addition, for the samples, I had set my camera to focus release so it would only shoot when achieving focus and 2 of my 15 images had no focal point in the Nikon software, which is also bizarre. I really really hope this camera comes back fixed or I'm looking at selling my whole setup and going FX.

bluenoser

Banned
While I do sympathize with those that have *legitimate* issues, I guess for a more balanced point of view, perhaps the D7000 owners that don't have focusing issues should post here too. I do have a problem with new members joining simply to complain about these so-called problems. This thread has attracted new members who's first and only posts seem to be in this thread - in some forums that's considered trolling.

Another thing I don't like in this thread is when DWPhotos (Dave) took some of his valuable time to try to assist another user with their D7000 "problem". That person didn't thank Dave once for his trouble - just condescended the entire time.

Frankly I've read hundreds of these so-called D7000 focus problems and the vast majority of them are user error - period. It's human nature to blame the tool and not look in the mirror. I'm not saying - I repeat - I'm not saying that there aren't legitimate problems but I refuse to believe that everyone that comes to this thread has one.

I bought one of the very first D7000s that were produced and shipped to Canada - in fact is was the first one distributed by Henrys in Toronto. You know the first batch that's supposed to have all those focusing problems? Well guess what? I thought I had focusing problems when I first got it back in Oct. of 2010 but since I was coming from the idiot proof D40 I didn't realize how steep the learning curve would be with this highly advanced camera. Super high pixel densities demanded a much better hand holding technique and constantly higher shutter speeds along with a properly set-up shooting menu. Well lo and behold the focusing problems "magically" disappeared when I practiced, practiced, practiced! Amazing.

I really think most of the people should have bought a more entry level camera instead of buying the one that they could afford at the higher end. They would have been much happier - and so would most camera forums.

I hope the silent majority (i.e. those D7000 owners without focusing problems) will chime in here and let us know.

Falcon1

Thank you Courtnie and utcarsons for sharing your experiences.

Like I said, I think, before that after the repair it was better WHEN it hit the target but unfortunatly it still was not reliable. I was maybe getting 3 out of 10 in correct focus. Never had so bad focus results in the 6 years which I have owned a DSLR.

I think D7k is the most problem maker for Nikon... at least there are quite a lot (relatively) of unhappy users and most of them have similar problems as we have/had.

I'm seriously thinking of replacing it even though if it will work ok after this 2nd repair because my trust or faith in this camera model is almost none after this bad experience.

bluenoser

Banned
Thank you Courtnie and utcarsons for sharing your experiences.

Like I said, I think, before that after the repair it was better WHEN it hit the target but unfortunatly it still was not reliable. I was maybe getting 3 out of 10 in correct focus. Never had so bad focus results in the 6 years which I have owned a DSLR.

I think D7k is the most problem maker for Nikon... at least there are quite a lot (relatively) of unhappy users and most of them have similar problems as we have/had.

I'm seriously thinking of replacing it even though if it will work ok after this 2nd repair because my trust or faith in this camera model is almost none after this bad experience.

You know we do have hundreds of other threads in this forum besides this one? 100% of your posts thus far have been to this thread to complain, complain, complain. How about sharing your vast experience with us in our other threads or will we only be hearing from you inside of this one? Fill out your profile, go to the new member thread and tell us about yourself (surely this thread doesn't encapsulize everything about you does it?), post some pictures you are actually happy with, etc. In other words, join our community properly.

Thank you.

bluenoser

Banned
Just sayin....

I got curious to see who has contributed to this thread since it was started quite some time ago. As I suspected, 12 members with total post counts of between 1 to 5 (meaning they're entire posting history is contained in this thread - they swooped in, unloaded then left).

1. OP "guest"
  2. msm11 (3 posts)
  3. elaine722 (1 post)
  4. sandygrant (1 post)
  5. photojewls (3 posts)
  6. nikolasdassis (1 post)
  7. Ed B (1 post)
  8. photophan (4 posts)
  9. ramills (5 posts)
  10. Bobsd69 (1 post)
  11. Tome (1 post)

Sorry, I take those and what they have to say with post counts like these (all in one thread) with the tiniest grain of salt. Sorry.

Last edited:

Shewashere

Thanks to Bluenoser for such a warm welcome. I can see why people want to stick around here and chat with folks like you. I found this forum by searching regarding the problem I was having. This is the first I have read someone else having problems with inconsistent focus rather than straight-up back focusing, I appreciated that information, and took the time to thank them for sharing.

I posted my first item on this forum to respond and say thank you to someone for sharing their experience. Perhaps you could give someone more than perhaps 1 hour or 2 before lamb-basting them and considering them nothing but a complainer. I am active on several other forums and have helped many D7000 users understand their focus system better. It does have a large learning curve and I know quite a lot about the camera and do have knowledge to share. I am not convinced I will stick around to share after your rude welcome, however, especially considering you apparently do not even own a D7000, but found it necessary to come over here and imply that we are all dreaming or just complaining.

Shewashere

Re: Just sayin....

If someone would give me some advice on how to post an image from ViewNX2 that will show the highlighted focus point, I'd love to post some of my sample shots I sent to Nikon. I was honestly quite surprised at the random nature of the focus. I'd love some other points of view or to see if anyone thinks my samples are flawed for some reason.

bluenoser

Banned
You're welcome utcarsons. My name is James (as per my signature) what is yours?

For your information we have a very large and active membership with a wide variety of interests that have contributed to this site's growth. They have been happy to interact with me and I with them.

However I do look forward to seeing more of you in other parts of our forum. If I do then I'll take you off the list above. Otherwise if the shoe fits....

Perhaps you could see it from my perspective before spouting off. In the future - when joining other forums - you might want to introduce yourself properly FIRST before swooping in and adding to complaints. Since you are a member of so many other forums you should have known that part of forum etiquette.

Welcome aboard. :)

Last edited: