D7000 Focus issues

Sambr

WOW! Absolutely gorgeous shot! Love the clarity and focus of this. A total keeper!

Thank you fotojack, I am amazed how many people or having focusing issues with the D7000 - mine has been spot on. Like I said even with old glass(28-105) it produces awesome files. I am very happy with it. I will(maybe) sell it when the D400 comes out.

Curt

PS....I strongly recommend you go to Thom Hogans site (Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide) & get yourself a copy of his Ebook on the D7000. Thom Hogan is a no nonsense & no B******ER type of guy. This ebook will cost you the price of a few beers but as far as I'm concerned, is WELL worth it. Along with the ebook you will also get a printed field book that you can put in your camera bag & refer to it any time you are let loose with your camera....

May the force be with you (in photography terms) Smile ! ! !

Thanks, great tips going to try them and see how they work. I have not had a issue with the focus on my D7000.
But setting the Af to AF-A I had not tried and my camera was on the default setting of Release, interested to see the diiference though

cooper1275

Thank you for recommending a site with good information instead of He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned.

Hmmm....."He who shall not be mentioned"....
ok, without mentioning a name, would "He" be a reviewer of Nikon Cameras....?? and if so, again without mentioning a name, would his first name rhyme with a famous farmyard flightless bird that supplies eggs to our table...??? (no names mentioned) :) .....are we talking the same person here...???

fotojack

Hmmm....."He who shall not be mentioned"....
ok, without mentioning a name, would "He" be a reviewer of Nikon Cameras....?? and if so, again without mentioning a name, would his first name rhyme with a famous farmyard flightless bird that supplies eggs to our table...??? (no names mentioned) :) .....are we talking the same person here...???

Yeah, that would be the one. :)

Sambr

LOL I don't have a problem with "Ken" I don't agree with all of what he says, however he does point out stuff - other writers don't mention in their write ups.

Rick M

The more you read, the more he contradicts himself. In one section he'll say something (like a lens) is great and then knock it in another section.

Last edited by a moderator:

photophan

I've had a D7000 for a week and yesterday I discovered a problem with the focus area setting while in autofocus. I had the camera set for single point focus and it began to randomly revert to the large area multi-point focus setting. After I would reset the focus area to single point and take several shots it would again switch to the large area setting. After having this happen several times with several different lenses I noticed that the battery was at 50% charge, so out of curiosity I put in a fresh fully charged battery and the problem magically dissappeared. I called Nikon support about this problem and, after a lengthy discussion about camera settings and firmware, they felt that this was a defect issue. After reading so many posts about focus problems on this site, as well as others, I've decided to return it to the vendor for a refund. Until Nikon sorts out this mess I'm staying away from this camera.

Sambr

I've had a D7000 for a week and yesterday I discovered a problem with the focus area setting while in autofocus. I had the camera set for single point focus and it began to randomly revert to the large area multi-point focus setting. After I would reset the focus area to single point and take several shots it would again switch to the large area setting. After having this happen several times with several different lenses I noticed that the battery was at 50% charge, so out of curiosity I put in a fresh fully charged battery and the problem magically dissappeared. I called Nikon support about this problem and, after a lengthy discussion about camera settings and firmware, they felt that this was a defect issue. After reading so many posts about focus problems on this site, as well as others, I've decided to return it to the vendor for a refund. Until Nikon sorts out this mess I'm staying away from this camera.

WOW you just gave up on Nikon's BEST DX camera that they make bar none. I heard all these rumours about the focusing issues with this body and how you have to use good glass etc. Well I know 3 other people including myself that disagree on all those points, sure there are and will be a few bad copies - there are bad copies of D3xs too. I can use my old 24-120D non vr lens in which is soft on both my D300 & D700 yet works like a charm on the D7000 weird eh.

Curt

recommendations……..If you set AF-A, the camera will give you the best of both worlds, that is to say it will first choose AF-S and will assume your subject isn’t moving, but if it detects that your subject IS moving then it will go for AF-C……
So just in case you are still trying to decide between FOCUS PRIORITY and RELEASE PRIORITY…??? Well then let me put it like this, ANY PHOTO that’s out of focus, even tho’ it otherwise might be a great shot, is simply fit for the bin…..it’s useless.
Have you tried this? I used it and it works great, Although I have never had a problem with my D7000 and I have had it since March (use it everyday). I do agree you are giving up on a great camera.

photophan

My D7000 was set on AF-S and I was shooting only stationary objects when the random focus area resets occured with my AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8 G and AF-S NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR lenses. When my only change was to a fully charged battery, the problem did not appear again until the second battery reached the 50% charge level. After going over my settings and checking my firmware with Nikon support, their conclusion was that this must be a defective unit. I'm genuinely glad that some folks are not having any problems and wish you all continued success, but I can not ignore the obvious existence of an inordinate number of customers having unresolved focus problems with this camera. Maybe in the future, after the bugs are shaken out, I'll return to try the D7000 again. For now I choose not to invest my money and time in this product.

Last edited:

Rick M

I think it's a smart move to return the camera while you still can. If you feel something is defective, I would do the same. Although, I think I would have tried another copy before giving up.

photophan

Thanks for the advice, but I only had 30 days to return, had purchased it 10 days prior to the problems surfacing, and was leaving in 2 days for a 3 week trip to the Intl Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico - it was now or never for getting a refund on a camera that might continue to be a headache ad-ifinitum. Maybe at another time and circumstance I can afford to let Nikon try and repair.

Rick M

Thanks for the advice, but I only had 30 days to return, had purchased it 10 days prior to the problems surfacing, and was leaving in 2 days for a 3 week trip to the Intl Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico - it was now or never for getting a refund on a camera that might continue to be a headache ad-ifinitum. Maybe at another time and circumstance I can afford to let Nikon try and repair.

Makes sense, Are you getting something else?

photophan

Possibly a good used 300s. As noted before, if I can be sure that the 7000 focus issues are resolved with another years' worth of maturity, I might even try it again. Until then, my poor ol' 70s will have to carry me.

ramils

Hi,

I am having the same issues with my New D7000.... I use either the kit 18-55mm lens or 70-300mm and the focus just doesnt work in Live Mode.

Called Nikon support and his response was that (1) Either I should ignore this issue and live with it and use manual mode or (2) That the Lens I am using is very cheap and doesnt let the light go in camera... But then why does it work without Live View.. Doesnt even pass common sense test

I am very disappointed in Nikon.. I like this camera but a $2000 Camera and lens should be able to auto focus in live view...specially what if I want to use movie mode and this thing cant even focus...

This camera is going back to the shop...

If anyone has any other ideas pls do let me know... will appreciate

Thanks
Ramil

Ranie

Either I should ignore this issue and live with it and use manual mode or (2) That the Lens I am using is very cheap and doesnt let the light go in camera... But then why does it work without Live View.. Doesnt even pass common sense test

I am very disappointed in Nikon.. I like this camera but a $2000 Camera and lens should be able to auto focus in live view...specially what if I want to use movie mode and this thing cant even focus...

I am very disappointed with the explanation of the Nikon Rep that talked to you. These are the people that will bring a company down. Or maybe he/she was just plain ignorant.

ramils

Yeah That is True.

After what he told me I told him, that even a $20 camera at Walmart can do auto focus in Live Mode (thats all they have) and his response was that the Quality of those pics is Not good... I was Ofcourse thats why I bought a $2000 Camera and lens and it should do much better to Auto focus.

Anyway - What bothers me is that the Auto focus works perfectly fine when I use View Finder.. so it means there is NO issue with the Lens or Light or subject or background... It just works like a charm, but when I put on LIve View the Focus hunts for 2-3 times and then settles to either infinity or closest distance of 5 ft and the picture is totally blurred.

It does that even in Auto mode and actually lets me take a picture.

I had a Canon earlier which would NOT let me take picture in Auto mode if the focus is Not set.

But it seems D7000 has many such complaints and I think Nikon should acknowledge it, recall such cameras and fix them on their own. But unfortunately now a days companies wait for a Law suit to do this. (few year back Sony had a bad sensor in their camcorders and they refused to even agree with the issue till it went in law suit and then they fixed for all.. including mine)

- Wait - This is also a Sony Sensor.. So may be there is a link here...!!!

Ranie

Ramil - pardon for my ignorance on the D7000. But does it really say that it will AF on "live view" mode with any lens? I know the D90 and D300s dont.
With regards to your observation that it AF when using the viewfinder, maybe because the mirror is close when using the view finder.
When you use live view, the mirror is locked up.
We'll, I could be wrong. Let's wait for other guru's to chime in.