Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

The northbound Silver Star running 6-1/2 hours late in this morning's overcast at Pontiac, SC. Lead GE P42DC #14 is 26 years old and looking pretty ratty.

2022-08-25 Pontiac SC - TB N Upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Nice capture Sandpatch. That locomotive has the ridden hard & put away wet look to it.

When I move in close to the damage above the windows, it looks like Bondo or maybe Paint Over Rust paint. I wonder if stone chips and the like have allowed rainwater to seep in and rust away the metal beneath. The window frames are a mess on many of these units as well. Lots of black caulk and bubbled paint here.

U.S. freight railroads have many locomotives that are far older than Amtrak's, cared for and often rebuilt multiple times with the latest fuel saving and PTC technology, and looking great. Amtrak always buys new, EMD F-40s, GE P42DCs and now Siemens ALC-42s.

2022-08-25 Pontiac SC - Damage.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

This afternoon's NS 15R at Ridgeway, SC with Uncle Pete (Union Pacific) in charge. I lost my sunlight just before train time. This is a difficult location to shoot because this train usually runs later in the day and the sun is then positioned in a horrible spot. 15R ran early today, so all was right ..... except for the rain clouds moving in.

I like the location and will have to try this again when a southbound runs early and rain isn't moving in. Railroad photography certainly has its challenges.
:rolleyes:

2022-08-29 Ridgeway SC - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

From about 1976, a Chicago-bound "scoot" approaches the crossing of the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Rwy. at Barrington, IL. That's Barrington Tower to the right. The tracks remain today, as does the commuter service, but the locomotive, passenger cars and tower are long gone from the scene. [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X]

1970s Mid 030 CNW Barrington IL - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

What a great picture Sandpatch, I can almost hear those EMD prime movers! :encouragement:

Thank you. Yep, nothing like an old skool, unadulterated, unmuffled 2-Cycle EMD 567. Westbounds would be accelerating from the station stop here and I think I remember hearing enginemen notch the throttle back as they approached the diamond, then apply power again once they were past it. Somewhere I have an F-7 operating manual and I may have read in it that enginemen are supposed to do this at diamonds to prevent the traction motors from arcing across the rail that bridges the running rails at a diamond. Someday I'll take the time to check this out.

Needa

Challenge Team
Thank you. Yep, nothing like an old skool, unadulterated, unmuffled 2-Cycle EMD 567. Westbounds would be accelerating from the station stop here and I think I remember hearing enginemen notch the throttle back as they approached the diamond, then apply power again once they were past it. Somewhere I have an F-7 operating manual and I may have read in it that enginemen are supposed to do this at diamonds to prevent the traction motors from arcing across the rail that bridges the running rails at a diamond. Someday I'll take the time to check this out.

I would have thought is was a concern for wheel slip, anyway momentum should carry the engine through.

Sandpatch

From 07/20/1976, a New York City bound Metroliner clears Princeton Jct, NJ on Track 1. Partially hidden behind the train is NASSAU Tower and the short 2.7 Mile branch to Princeton is at the left, affectionately known as the Princeton Junction & Back. :D [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X]

1976-07-20 004 Princeton Jct NJ - for upload.jpg

bluzman

I'm not a train guy, per se, but this just made me sad. The first image is one I took in September 2019 in the small Oregon coastal town of Garibaldi. The steam engine is relic of the lumber industry. It was fenced in to protect it from being vandalized. Signs indicated that a group was raising funds for restoring it.

Now, three years later, I took the subsequent shots. It's still inside a fence but it has been moved from its previous location. The coal car is gone. The declining condition is apparent and there are no longer any indications that a restoration is planned.

From 2019

35mm 560_0003_01_E_sm.jpg

From 2022

750_0017_01_Sh_sm.jpg

750_0013_01_cr_sm.jpg

750_0019_01_Sh_sm.jpg

750_0001_01_Sh_sm.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
I'm not a train guy, per se, but this just made me sad. The first image is one I took in September 2019 in the small Oregon coastal town of Garibaldi. The steam engine is relic of the lumber industry. It was fenced in to protect it from being vandalized. Signs indicated that a group was raising funds for restoring it.

Now, three years later, I took the subsequent shots. It's still inside a fence but it has been moved from its previous location. The coal car is gone. The declining condition is apparent and there are no longer any indications that a restoration is planned.

From 2019

View attachment 380379

From 2022

View attachment 380380

View attachment 380381

View attachment 380382

View attachment 380383

It's a shame as it looks intact.

Bikerbrent

Nice catch Nikonpup. It is sure too bad that the railroads no longer take care of their equipment. Wounder how long the railroads will last in these country.

Last edited:

crashton

I was close to Willard Ohio last month & thought I'd swing by to see what was polishing the rails. I found Ashland Railway leaving the yard. Led by a GP9, GP38 & SD40, due to track work they had to do a back up move to reach home rails.

Passing the work crew welding the rail back together.

Conductor getting ready to ride the shove back into the yard.