Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

There, cell tower gone! :eek:

2022-06-16 OBSERVATION Chapel Hill No Cell Tower Whitehead SC - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Travel in style across America — 6 guests — starting at $6,000 per day. ...

Wow, that's a breathtaking fare, about $4/Minute. :cool:

Back in '83 I paid $50 for a 120 Mile day trip with friends from Newark, NJ to Bay Head, NJ and return aboard Lehigh Valley 353, built 1916. We had a fine time that day; here we are at Bay Head. Pullman Clover Colony ahead of LV 353 also made the trip.

1983-02-20 002 Bay Head NJ LV 353 - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Helping to keep our air conditioners running, coal train 786 from today with a helper adding some muscle on the rear.

2022-06-25 Ridgeway SC - for upload.jpg

2022-06-25 002 Ridgeway SC - for Facebook Upload.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Braved the heat and humidity this morning to grab a quick shot of Train L624 readying to depart Columbia, SC. The train is a "turn", working industries along a line, then returning home on the same route in the evening.

2022-07-09 001 Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

The summer heat and humidity have kept the D5100 shelved, but my train addiction finally won and I sweated out a wait for Norfolk Southern grain train 50V this afternoon.

2022-07-23b Blythewood SC - for Upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Today's picture is of a Jersey Central caboose that's 160 times smaller than the real thing, i.e. N Scale. The caboose is 2-3/8" long.

I had some fun with this picture, taking it with my late father's Nikkor f/3.5 55mm Macro (circa 1970) coupled to my D5100. It's such a sweet lens and is as tight and clear as ever. Settings are by the seat of the pants, but it's fairly easy to hone in on the right settings. This was taken at f/32 @ 8 Seconds. Focusing is manual too, but my D5100 illuminates a green dot in the viewfinder when it feels the focus is correct. My father also bought the M2 Extension Tube for it, which allows extreme close ups. I didn't use the M2 for this shot.

Anyway, it's neat to play around with the lens and God bless Nikon for keeping the F-Mount system intact through these many decades.

2022-07-29 001 CNJ Caboose - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Nice photo Sandpatch. Some of the older Nikon equipment was really great.

Early on, I sold some of my Dad's vintage Nikkor lenses on eBay after reading that their full frame design wouldn't work well with medium format cameras like my D5100. I learned later that wasn't totally accurate advice. The one lens of his that I most regret selling was his 35mm "wide angle" that would have made a wonderful 50mm prime lens on my D5100.

Of course, working with various manual settings at home is fun, but that might not be the case outside in the hot sun with gnats and mosquitoes flying about. :eek:

crashton

I bought an adapter that lets me use my dad's Nikon glass on my Fuji cameras. The Nikkor 55 micro is one I have my eye on. Great piece of glass.

Sandpatch

This morning's CSX L647 rolling south at Camden, SC. A somewhat backlit shot, but it was best to be out before the summer heat cranked up. Typical eastern railroad scene with overgrown vegetation encroaching everywhere. I often stomp down tall weeds, but I'd need power equipment to take down this stand. :(

2022-08-05 001 Camden SC - Second Edit - for upload to Nikonites.jpg

crashton

Nice catch Sandpatch. A nice somewhat late model EMD on call this morning. I don't mind the greenery, looks good to my old eyes. :encouragement: