CN-Tower.jpg

Rubber Duckie.... (don't ask)

Duckie_15.jpg

Rusty Railway Spike from the Queensway Street Car Line

Railway-Spike-(900px)_01-.jpg

Colborne Lodge Road

Colborne-Lodge-Drive.jpg

Old Mill Bridge over the Humber River.
If anyone is watching the Handmaid's Tale.... this is the bridge one of the Handmaids jumped from.

Photowalk-_01.jpg

Bird Bath in my back yard

Sparrow.jpg

Chippie with face stuffed with bird seed

Chippie.jpg

grandpaw

This is a Queen Yellow Jacket Wasp!

Found... in my KITCHEN!!! How it got in, no one knows. One less wasp nest to worry about, thanks to my niece, who found it and dispatched it and then gave it to me when I got home.

View attachment 255764

Nikon D800
Nikon Nikkor 105mm f2.8G
Tripod

1/2.5s
f22
ISO 200

4 Studio Lamps shot through a diffuser from above
2 Foam Core boards on the sides reflect light up from the bottom (set up as follows \ _ / --- slants are white, underscore, black)
1 black Foam Core board for the background

Outstanding!!!

Photowyzard

Just curious if you have ever considered using flash on you photos?

Grandpaw,

I have.

I have set up my Godox Softboxes outside with my Pocket Wizard remotes. The results are stunning, BUT....

The birds love to perch on them. Birds being birds.... also like to POOP on them. I don't like that! :rolleyes: Especially since I take these on jobs!

I have considered getting a Better Beamer. This is high on my list of next purchases, just have to get around to doing it. Seems like the best option.

Outdoor flash does wonders for filling in missing light, eliminating shadows etc. (as I am sure you know). I have some issues however, with carrying around more gear. As I get older, my back simply isn't up to the challenge.

Flash DOES scare the birds away after you fire it off. Not a fan of that either.

Photowyzard

I like the last one the best. Do you set up ahead of time for that shot? Do you put some bait inside the log and wait for the bird to arrive?

These images are taken in my backyard.

To the back right and out of sight is a very elaborate bird feeding station. On a typical day, there is a bird convention going on. Just below this perch is a bird bath. The ancient Romans have nothing on me!

So, typically, the birds come to this perch and wait their turn to use the bath. I have however, put seed in the "bowl" of this perch. Not for this image.

This just happened as I was waiting for something/anything to show up.

Blade Canyon

Flash DOES scare the birds away after you fire it off. Not a fan of that either.

It must be the noise, because I put a suction-cup bird feeder on the outside of a window, then set up my old D40x with flash at an angle (to avoid flash reflection). I got some good pics, and was surprised that the birds stayed on the feeder and let me keep taking shots. These were 9 years ago. (Ouch...)

Bird1.jpg

Bird2.jpg

Bird3.jpg

D40X, not D800....

grandpaw

Grandpaw,

I have.

I have set up my Godox Softboxes outside with my Pocket Wizard remotes. The results are stunning, BUT....

The birds love to perch on them. Birds being birds.... also like to POOP on them. I don't like that! :rolleyes: Especially since I take these on jobs!

I have considered getting a Better Beamer. This is high on my list of next purchases, just have to get around to doing it. Seems like the best option.

Outdoor flash does wonders for filling in missing light, eliminating shadows etc. (as I am sure you know). I have some issues however, with carrying around more gear. As I get older, my back simply isn't up to the challenge.

A Better Beamer is the most bang for the buck of anything you will probably ever buy. I put mine on my SB900 at high noon with the sun out and no clouds and lit up trees that were all in shadow that was probably 400ft or better away from me. It will really make a BIG difference in the light that is on your subject. That extra light really makes the colors pop especially if the subject is in the shade.

Photowyzard

It must be the noise, because I put a suction-cup bird feeder on the outside of a window, then set up my old D40x with flash at an angle (to avoid flash reflection). I got some good pics, and was surprised that the birds stayed on the feeder and let me keep taking shots. These were 9 years ago. (Ouch...)

D40X, not D800....

Most likely, will try this again when I buy the BETTER BEAMER. See next post. Thanks!

Photowyzard

A Better Beamer is the most bang for the buck of anything you will probably ever buy. I put mine on my SB900 at high noon with the sun out and no clouds and lit up trees that were all in shadow that was probably 400ft or better away from me. It will really make a BIG difference in the light that is on your subject. That extra light really makes the colors pop especially if the subject is in the shade.

Thanks for the heads up and info on this.

You have pretty much convinced me to buy it. Going to look it up now.

I have been on the fence with this a long time but I see people using it and I have read excellent reviews on it, so I am sold.

When I get it and get some results from it.... you can look for the images here.

Thanks again for taking the time to fill me in.

:)

Photowyzard

Went to look it up as promised in Post #255! WOW... almost doubled in price since the last time I looked.

And, I noticed something.... I have similar looking parts at HOME!

So, I MADE ONE.... DIY!!! :D Cost me about $10 and an hours work or so fiddling.

Check it out... and the results......

If you are interested in how I made this, JUST ASK!! Happy to guide you into making one as well... DUCT TAPE was the key ingredient! :D

1) Purchased Fresnel Magnifier at Craft store
2) Purchased a HILLROY plastic cover binder. The type with the metal bar and bend tabs. The plastic is flexible.
3) found some stiff card board, like a shoe box lid, cut it to make the arms stiffer. The Hillroy plastic is great but not quite stiff enough.
4) Wrapped the arms in Duct Tape
5) Cut plastic stripes from a Battery Blister Pak packaging. The Fresnel is a tad to flexible and needs stiffening. Used industrial glue bought at Home Depot.
6) Tape and glue together. Takes an hour to dry.

Beamer_0690.jpg

Beamer_0691.jpg

Beamer_0692.jpg

VIOLA! My cheapo CHEAP BETTER BEAMER

Beamer_0697.jpg

And, the RESULTS!

Sparrow_01.jpg

Sparrow_1.jpg

Sparrow_03.jpg

ALL comments welcomed and I am happy to guide you to make your own. Just ask.

Photowyzard

I have been told there is a top and a bottom to this device I neglected to add on.

That is because I had no idea there was a top and a bottom!!! :D

Looks like I will have to modify it. Apparently, I am losing light as designed.

So, back to the drawing board.

Post some new sample images after I modify it. Probably in the next week or so.

:)