Upcoming wedding

Ruidoso Bill

Well here is what I'm thinking:

D200 with 50mm 1.8 Groupings, wedding party etc

D300 with 105mm 2.8 Closeups, Hands & rings, Cake, eating cake etc.

D300 with 18-200 Candid shots at reception, outdoor BBQ type gathering.

I'll have my SB-800 for fill flash as needed. But this pretty much will be the kit I use.

Inputs appreciated, the wedding is 600 miles from home so I can't forget anything.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Funny guy! I have backups and will bring my charger. I don't drink alcohol so does that mean I need to withdraw? Now I'm worried it is some type of prerequisite or something. lol Or, does wedding photography lead some to drinking?

ohkphoto

Snow White
does wedding photography lead some to drinking?

yes LOL

How about battery packs for your flashes . . . if you're using flash during the "special moments", they go pretty darn quick and a battery pack will help the flash to recharge faster.

Good luck (and have fun!)

ohkphoto

Snow White
That's a good price for one, Bill, and I strongly recommend you have one. You'll be amazed at how fast your light will recharge . . . especially good for those candids (you know those moments when you click and think, oh, crap, I should have waited and now my flash doesn't have enough juice)

I just ordered a couple of things (filters and focus rail) from this place and realized they ship from Hong-Kong. If you order a pack from them and don't get it in time, you're welcome to borrow mine .

Best Regards

ZakSaenzPhotography

I use my D300s with my Nikon 18-200mm VR and SB800 for everything from the home preshots to the Church to the posed shots. Then once I get to the reception hall I use my D700 with my 28-75mm 2.8 and SB800 through the rest of the entire event. Oh yeah, I use 4 Energizer 4X Advanced Lithium batteries and the last about 700-800 shots. If you want longer lasting get them in 8X.

Zak

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

That's a good price for one, Bill, and I strongly recommend you have one. You'll be amazed at how fast your light will recharge . . . especially good for those candids (you know those moments when you click and think, oh, crap, I should have waited and now my flash doesn't have enough juice)

I just ordered a couple of things (filters and focus rail) from this place and realized they ship from Hong-Kong. If you order a pack from them and don't get it in time, you're welcome to borrow mine .

Best Regards

That reminds me of the first time I was asked to shoot a baptism, dunked down in the water FLASH, rise up from the water NADA...

Ruidoso Bill

I do love my 18-200 mm, need to show my wife I use some of the others lol.

Zak, do you ever make it up this way? After all we are neighbors.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
One question I have, and not being a wedding or pro please forgive what may be a dumb question, are you doing or planning to do anything different because of the better low light capabilities of your new D300?

johnwartjr

I was considering getting the Nikon equivalent of that external battery pack, and everything I read said it wouldn't make the flash recharge any faster, just would allow you 2x as far between battery replacements.

ZakSaenzPhotography

I do love my 18-200 mm, need to show my wife I use some of the others lol.

Zak, do you ever make it up this way? After all we are neighbors.

Bill, I have been to Albuquerque once and drive across the lower portion of NM on my way to San Antonio and have always wanted to go to Taos. Where abouts is Ruidoso?

Zak

ohkphoto

Snow White
I was considering getting the Nikon equivalent of that external battery pack, and everything I read said it wouldn't make the flash recharge any faster, just would allow you 2x as far between battery replacements

All I can refer to is my experience. I was very glad to have had it to use at a 2-hr wedding -- the flash never missed being on target and ready for several consecutive shots and I didn't have to replace the batteries until I got home. And I used a non-nikon battery pack that cost about 30 bucks and used 6 AA batteries.

Best Regards

johnwartjr

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.

I did some shooting at a wedding recently that was darker than the inside of a cave. Unfortunately, even with my 2.8 lenses and the ISO cranked on my D700, my SB900 had a hard time keeping up.

Admittedly, I am a bit nervous about it recharging faster than it does - there were a few things I read when the flash was relatively new about the potential to overheat it. I applied the Nikon firmware upgrade, and have mine set so it shuts off if it gets too hot (there's an option to 'ignore' the heat warnings).

Certainly worth a try for 30 bucks though :)

Ruidoso Bill

Bill, I have been to Albuquerque once and drive across the lower portion of NM on my way to San Antonio and have always wanted to go to Taos. Where abouts is Ruidoso?

Zak

Ruidoso is 160 miles south of Albq. In the Sacramento Mountains. I am at 7,000 ft where I live and there is a Ski Area that goes up to about 12,000 ft.

55 miles north of Alamogordo, 125 Miles north of El Paso. They call this the Texas Alps!

Ruidoso Bill

One question I have, and not being a wedding or pro please forgive what may be a dumb question, are you doing or planning to do anything different because of the better low light capabilities of your new D300?

I will either have my 105 2.8 on the D300 or my trusty old 18-200 mm.

Funny I was thinking just put the 50 mm 1.8 on the D300 and crank up the ISO a little and shoot natural light and crop what I want. I am only going to have the camera for a week before the wedding, I have used a D700 and the controls are the same.

I really dislike most candid Flash shots, hate the darn thing on my camera.
The light is so artifical especially if you don't crank down the output of the strobe.

Ruidoso Bill

Forgot to say thank Nikon every time I press the shutter... I am so excited about a better high iso performing camera, I really think this body makes my kit complete! I am very thankful and blessed to have two really good camera bodies.

Ruidoso Bill

Zak
BTW, Taos is good, Ruidoso is GREAT, especially for taking pics. We have Lincoln, "Billy the Kid" Country, Capitan, where our fellow Nikonite Helene hails from and that is also "Smokey Bear Countr", Lincoln National forest around us everywhere.