Zeiss 135mm f/2.0 Apo-Sonnar ZF.2 Lens

crycocyon

Incredible sharpness especially evident on that Gundam image. Reading the DxO Mark results this lens performs even favorably compared with the Zeiss 55 Distagon, which for the price is amazing. It even outperforms the Nikon 85 1.4g and 200 f2 VRII. This is definitely a lens on my wish list.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Incredible sharpness especially evident on that Gundam image. Reading the DxO Mark results this lens performs even favorably compared with the Zeiss 55 Distagon, which for the price is amazing. It even outperforms the Nikon 85 1.4g and 200 f2 VRII. This is definitely a lens on my wish list.

Great observation. I've lusted over the Nikon 200mm f2 for a long while now and sometimes I still do. I've even tried hand holding it for less than a minute and my initial impression was great since the bokeh was just awesome but the weight and size didn't appeal to me.

When the Zeiss 135mm f2 APO was announced and after some review from various lens testers, I told myself that this would be my mini-200mm f2 lens. I like having great glass and this is probably my sharpest lens even against the 70=200mmf2.8.

Compared to the Zeiss 55mm OTUS, this lens is a bargain. ;)

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have a Zeiss Makro Planar 100 f/2 ZF.2 mm and I am very pleased.
But comparison would be very interesting…

Both are great lenses. The 100mm f2 was originally on my wish list for a while but the 135mm was released. I bought it based on the reviews made by my friend who has both lenses including the Nikon 200mm f2. There is no purple fringing on the 135 mm unlike the 100mm macro lens at wide open.

Zeiss makes one of the finest optics around and this lens is just a joy to own especially for portraits.

Sent from my iPhone.

crycocyon

Just to illustrate what I was mentioning earlier....these results for the 135 f2 really impressed me.

Zeiss50vsZeiss135vsNikon85.jpg

Waxed

Hi ggtuazon,

Love the bokeh and the sharpness - but at that price . . . :sulkiness: :heart-borken: it will be back to school day piggy bank savings for at last three years!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi ggtuazon,

Love the bokeh and the sharpness - but at that price . . . :sulkiness: :heart-borken: it will be back to school day piggy bank savings for at last three years!

I'm just fortunate to have a more "tolerable" wife since she understands that this is my hobby. :D

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn,

You really need to stop posting these threads ....it's bad for my wallet! ;-) Beautiful images !

Rich

Thanks Rich. I would rate this lens a solid 9. It would have been perfect if it had AF. I am just glad that I had my LASIK done on my eyes but I still rely more on the green dot to confirm the focus.

rikman

I love how the colors pop. Lack of AF is my biggest block to getting a Zeiss, but I keep looking at them especially after seeing the images it can make.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Waxed

I have bought the far, far cheaper [about $50] Zeiss 135mm f/3.5 lens. I wonder how they will compare. . . haven't had much chance to use it. Where I live is going through fairly miserable weather - too much rain to venture outside.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This image was taken using a D800 and the Nikon 58mm f1.4G lens at f1.4. After pixel peeping, the image has a slight blurr due to camera shake. Just trying to compare the perspective and IQ. Not so bad compared to the more expensive Zeiss 55mm f1.4 OTUS lens.

D800 Nikon 58mm f1.4G by gqtuazon, on Flickr

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn,

I've been thinking about renting the Otus 55 from Borrowlens.com when it comes out this month.

I like the smooth MF including the rubber for more precise focusing. The bad part is that if you like it then you are doomed! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rikman

That's what I'm afraid of. Your images look great with your Zeiss.... Awesome colors

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk