Your computer setup?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I use 3 systems. The majority of my processing is on a MacBook (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 640 GB HDD). My desktop is a HP (2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 & 500 GB HDD, Win 7 Ultimate) and a ThinkPad T60 (1.8 GB HDD, 3GB RAM, 2 x 500GB HDD, Win 7 Ultimate).

All of my systems have OS-specific Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5. I download all images using Downloader Pro (using VMWare on the Mac) to a "New Images" directory, move them to a "My Pictures" directory using either Finder or Explorer and then import them in place in Lightroom.

If I'm traveling I use a WD USB drive to copy the "New Images" directory. Once I'm home I make an archive copy of the LR catalog and images on a 1.5TB external drive and also maintain a master directory on the desktop.

I replaced the ThinkPad T60 with a sweet little ThinkPad X201 two weeks ago. Netbook size at 3 pounds and a 12.1" matte screen, it has an Intel i5-520M (2.40GHz base; 2.93GHz Max Turbo, 3MB Cache), 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200 rpm HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Photoshop CS5 Extended 64-bit and Lightroom 3 64-bit. Keyboard is the same size as the T60 but without the trim. Got it a couple days before my recent trip to Vienna and the size/weight combo was awesome. I was able to get more than 6 hours of battery life too. Got a great deal through the Lenovo Outlet on the base machine and upgraded the memory and hard drive myself.

Performed what I expected to be a minor upgrade to the X201 this week by replacing the hard drive with a Seagate Hybrid version. What a difference in boot time, responsiveness, etc. Caught one on sale for US$100 and glad I did.

Check out this video from Seagate and see if it convinces you, too!

johnwartjr

Performed what I expected to be a minor upgrade to the X201 this week by replacing the hard drive with a Seagate Hybrid version. What a difference in boot time, responsiveness, etc. Caught one on sale for US$100 and glad I did.

Check out this video from Seagate and see if it convinces you, too!

What drive did you use, and from what supplier? A SSD is something I've been considering, especially since this G73 has 2 drive slots.

Yes, I am using a 64-bit OS. Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

johnwartjr

Just finished up a replacement my old desktop, it just couldn't keep up with LR3 and CS5 anymore. I needed something that could provide as much, or nearly as much, horsepower as my laptop did. And I think it worked out well.

I thought I could do it 'on the cheap' and in the end, I didn't. But, it was a fun learning experience, and I learned some important lessons. It didn't cost me a lot more than I thought it would, and I'll recoup a little of the investment because I've got some leftovers to sell after having to upgrade a couple things.

It is actually faster than my i7 laptop.

Specs:
Dell Precision 690 Workstation
Dual Intel Xeon X5355 Processors (Quad Core, 2.66 GHz, 8mb Cache, 1333 MHz system bus)
16 GB of RAM, quad channel (was going to go with 8 GB, but stumbled upon a real deal!)
2 Western Digital Velociraptor Drives (10,000 RPM), 150 GB each - only using them for what I am presently working on, will archive the rest to my external drives and potentially a future NAS solution)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Dual headed NVidia Quadro video card, 256mb memory
Samsung 25 inch flat monitor, Monoprice tablet

The system will support dual video cards, for up to 4 monitors, and I probably need to upgrade to a different card at some point, but this one works OK for what I'm doing now. I just wish I knew a little better how to pick the right video card. I need to do some more reading. I switched from 2 17 inch monitors to one 25 inch monitor, and really like it. I'm not to the point where I want the 2nd monitor. Maybe I am missing something here. I know I am not going to want 4, which is what dual video cards would gain for me.

I'd also like a light scribe DVD burner, time to go ask Anthony how he likes his, in his thread.

And a built-in card reader would be nice. Dell has an option where I can order one for not much money, but it's not UDMA enabled, which is something my D700's specs mentioned - I had to get special UDMA cards, and a UDMA capable USB external card reader, I know a non UDMA would work, but might degrade performance. I picked up an internal UDMA card reader, but its pinout doesn't match the header on the Dell system board, and I have not been able to find a way to make it work.

kayte

Don't know much about computers, so forgive me there is some info missing, lol

I use my Sony VAIO pretty much all the time right now. Does the job for me.

PMB VAIO® Edition laptop
DVD and CD read/write
HDMI™ output
Intel® Core™ i5 - 430M processor (2.26GHz ) with Intel® Turbo Boost (2.53GHz )
4GB of pre-installed system memory.
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Bilingual (English/French)
Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 Excel®
500GB hard drive.
15.5" (1366x768) widescreen display

I managed to find a cracked copy of CS3 online that is working for me (sorry to those that paid for it or don't agree with downloading a program you pay for). Love the power it has and I'm always learning new thing. I use RAW but I'm thinking I'm going to looking into converting DNG...

Don't have a back up yet but that is in works- seen some at Future shop that weren't a bad price for the size. I need to streamline my workflow- I'm getting messy as of late and I need to start organizing my pics better.

I am planning on fixing my hubby's Dell XPS downstairs. It's a powerful quick machine, I'm pretty sure it would be even now- nearly 3 years later. But little over a year after we had it, the hard drive corrupted and we've not had the chance to fix it- so it's been sitting collecting dust. Going to get a 1 TB hard drive and upgrade the OS to Windows 7 (has Vista on it right now) and it should be good to go. Then I will have that as my main computer, my lappy as a back up and external drives for originals and originals of edited pics. Also planning picking up a wireless keyboard, mouse, and contemplating a tablet for helping edit photos (a friend of mine just got a Bamboo tablet....checked their site and I'm impressed...want one now, lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

jengajoh

I use a Macbook, I got mine before they started calling this model a Macbook pro.
13" screen, aluminum unibody.
At the moment it's a 250gb HD but I just received a 750 gb HD in the mail and my IT geek friend is coming over tonight (hopefully) to install it.
2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
I also have a 500gb backup portable external HD and a 1TB external I can use as well.
Programs I use daily are iphoto to import and for minor editing, and PSE8, I also use Photomatix Pro, and Portrait porfessional. I hope to get a full version CS5 and/or light room with my student discount sometime this year.

Mike150

Totally Brand New. Not even fully loaded yet.
HP Tower. AMD Phenom Quad Core with 6G ram(expandable to 16). 1TB HD. I plan to add a video card at a later date.
Wireless Network already in place, a 1TB Network drive for backup and a second backup on DVDs I keep here at work. HP Network printer is only good up to 8x10. Really would like to add a large format printer down the road.
Already have Lightroom installed, and supposed to pick up Adobe Design Standard Suite (hopefully tonight) The suite is probably more than I'll ever use, but my wife gets Staff prices at the university bookstore. (Think I'll keep her a little longer).
They are also offering MS Office (I think it's the previous edition) for only $15... Told her to get a copy for each of us.
Now I guess I've rambled on way too much. I'd better get back to work.