XQD Card cancelled.

Horoscope Fish

The Firmware update will add CFE support to the cameras, that will not take away XQD card support...
That is what I expect will happen but... Nikon writes the firmware and until they do, and until that firmware update hits the street and we know the facts, I remain both cautiously optimistic AND firmly in Wait-and-See Mode. My D750 will continue to hold me over just fine until the dust settles.

Daz

What is the source of your information?

That is what I expect will happen but... Nikon writes the firmware and until they do, and until that firmware update hits the street and we know the facts, I remain both cautiously optimistic AND firmly in Wait-and-See Mode. My D750 will continue to hold me over just fine until the dust settles.

The CES 2019 announcement of the CFExpress support says it all :

4. Support for CFexpress memory cards
The new firmware will provide support for CFexpress, a new standard for memory cards. Having passed durability tests in which they were inserted and removed from a camera 12,000 times, these memory cards offer users a greater sense of security. They also offer high-speed performance that will provide users with a more efficient workflow. After upgrading, users will be able to use both CFexpress as well as XQD cards in their camera interchangeably. In addition to the Z 7 and Z 6, in the future, CFexpress memory card support will be added to the Nikon D5 (XQD-Type), Nikon D850, and Nikon D500 digital SLR cameras as well. Release timing for this feature will be announced at a later date.

The main part is in bold ...

Nikon wouldn't be stupid enough to release a firmware that stops users using a card in their camera that they have brought just because Nikon decided to use XQD. That would be suicide ! Im slightly perplexed why you would think they would ever do this?

Bikerbrent

The CES 2019 announcement of the CFExpress support says it all :

The main part is in bold ...

Nikon wouldn't be stupid enough to release a firmware that stops users using a card in their camera that they have brought just because Nikon decided to use XQD. That would be suicide ! Im slightly perplexed why you would think they would ever do this?

Yes, but keep in mind, when Nikon first announced their P lenses without a VR switch on the lens, they stated that VR could be turned on and off via the menu and promised updated firmware for several cameras, including the D7200. Well us D7200 owners are still awaiting this update!

Danno

I to am cautiously optimistic that Nikon will do as promised, but I spent a long time developing software and you just don't always get what you want. I still bought the Z 6 and am not disappointed with that decision. I have 2 XQD cards hopefully waiting for the May update.

I hope every thing come out as they plan, but the card type was not why I pulled the trigger.

Chucktin

I saw a couple "FRO KNOWS PHOTO" Utube videos back aways, stopped because IMHO if we depend on shriil "performance art" for actual considered opinion backed with real data .. well that's fake news for certain.

Roy1961

Contributor
Well, this thread has become confusing. It isn't supposed to be a camera shoot-out.

I am satisfied that as of this moment, XQD is still in production. I don't need the size or speed of the CFexpress cards, and don't wish to pay the price for them either. By the time I have no choice, meaning all XQD cards in the world are non functional or sold out, I will have moved on to a lighter camera due to my increasing age, which isn't that far off considering I now have 2 injured shoulders and am half crippled these days from stiff joints. OY:p :D

cant you rig a set up to hold your d500 and big lens to a wheelchair??? lol

come on your not that bad.

Roy1961

Contributor
talk about being late, just ordered a new Sony XQD 64GB last night, my last one lasted 2 years (a Lexar 32gb and its still working) so i dont have any concerns, did a quick search on the CF and its $50+ extra for it. I am not a big user of 10 shots ps so i think i will be ok.

Horoscope Fish

Nikon wouldn't be stupid enough to release a firmware that stops users using a card in their camera that they have brought just because Nikon decided to use XQD. That would be suicide! Im slightly perplexed why you would think they would ever do this?
Well, in all honesty because while I love my Nikon camera's I'm not so much in love with Nikon's post-sale support/customer service. I watched them bury their collective heads in the sand during the D600 debacle, for instance. The D750 was tainted by service recalls and I really think we have D600 owners, who all but beat Nikon into submission over the oil splatter issue, to thank for Nikon being more responsive to the banding issue of the D750. I've seen previous promises from Nikon for great things firmware-related that have never materialized; does anyone else remember Nikon's "I AM ADVANCING" [firmware update] ad campaign? Pepperidge Farm remembers... And so do I. Nikon, though? Yeah, not so much: that campaign dissipated like a fart in a hurricane. Menu support for VR for their new pulse-motor lenses? More vapor-ware that left a lot a D7XXX users flapping in the breeze. With the exception of the D600, none of these factors taken by themselves are "gut wrenching" in my opinion, but taken as a whole I think it points to a cavalier attitude regarding consumer post-sale support. In stark contrast, look at some of the amazing firmware upgrades Fuji and Oly' (if memory serves me) users have gotten. One could, I suppose, argue that many of those features should been native when their respective bodies were released, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish in my opinion. The overall user-experience, post sale is what I'm pointing to and for those end-users, it has to be very exciting. It's the sort of thing that builds confidence in your buying decision instead of eroding it.

Now, all that being said, I will say again I am optimistic that Nikon will NOT shoot itself in the foot over supporting XQD along with CFE. I agree doing anything less borders on unthinkable, I really do. But until that firmware hits the street and actual users start reporting flawless integration, on every level, between the two formats, I will keep my seat in the Wait and See Camp.

Dawg Pics

cant you rig a set up to hold your d500 and big lens to a wheelchair??? lol

come on your not that bad.
Ha Ha, definitely not chair-bound. I have multiple issues, though. Feet, knees, shoulders and lower back. If I sit for any length of time, I have trouble walking until the joints warm up. If I sit wrong on the couch, I have to slide onto the floor to get up or get a hand up. I have, in the past, had to crawl on the floor until I could stand up. Cue organ music. LOL.

Mostly, I am thinking I will need a lighter camera sooner than I was hoping based on my joint issues. Especially with this left shoulder. I still have almost no range of motion and weakness. Seeing a doc on Tues. Hope I don't need surgery for it.

I think the Z7 would be great. Nikon just needs to follow through on their firmware update. Seems like that one would be too important to just drop after announcing backward compatibility. Too many people would be pissed off.

spb_stan

I am encouraged by Nikon HQ announced that the mirrorless product line was being a new path for them, treating the body as a computer where features could be added and would be, throughout the product cycle. They obviously built the Z cameras to a higher level of materials and tech than needed, establishing them as long term investments, unlike the disposable Sony line that is expected to be replaced every update. We know the firmware works, it has been demonstrated and people who have used it think pretty highly of it. Surely there is tweaking but to set a date of release suggests it is pretty sorted out. The design from the beginning was ao have a data bus that could keep up with new tech that has specs finalized but not available yet.
I had a client over this afternoon who is a sound designer for theater and film and does documentaries for a national public TV network in Europe and discussion drifted to equipment and his whole studio is waiting on the ProResRAW update to the Z cameras and plans to sell off all their high-end cameras and get a dozen Z6. In the video world, the Z6 is a major advance in low cost but rugged advanced cameras. Getting RAW with only a $600 recorder/monitor is like printing free money. Nikon shows a lot of focus in the future. They might even change the marketing and ownership model. Instead of replacing hardware every couple years, build a tough flexible architecture and sell fewer (Sony sales are high because everyone who bought an a7 has replaced the body a couple of times in 4 years) but sell feature advances. For example, if Nikon added RAW to internal storage, how much would that firmware be worth? $100, $200, $500? How much would it be worth for sports or BIF shooters for a firmware update next year for D5 killer AF performance? Several hundred dollars at least. The Z6/7 has the processing horsepower to do it, faster processor, bus and data storage than a Sony a9 which has pretty darn impressive AF tracking performance.
Nikon must have new blood in the executive suites for this change in vision. It makes me confident my investment in glass and bodies has a long term value.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I don't want to derail this thread so just a quick question. So which lens would you use for landscape photography on a DX body? A DX lens or an FX lens? I really like my D7200 but haven't been able to decide which lens might work best since all of mine are FX glass. My 18-35mm is good on the wide end but not really long enough to be versatile. And my 24-120mm isn't quite wide enough. Any suggestions? Can't remember if you have the 16-80mm.

I don't know if this is wide enough for you, but my Tammy 17-50 f/2.8 on the D500 or D7200 gives me very sharp pics that I can print to 16x20 with no issues at all.

talk about being late, just ordered a new Sony XQD 64GB last night, my last one lasted 2 years (a Lexar 32gb and its still working) so i dont have any concerns, did a quick search on the CF and its $50+ extra for it. I am not a big user of 10 shots ps so i think i will be ok.

On cameras with XQD/SD dual card slots, even a good old fast SD card can work quite well in the second slot. That's no help to the Z6 and 7 users, though.

I have 4 XQD cards for use with my D500, so even on a long trip with lots of long bursts of birds in flight I am well covered. I'm glad I got the cards before prices went up. At this point I will be surprised if XQD card prices ever go down.

Roy1961

Contributor
got my new card today and i was wondering should i start using it or wait till the old one dies. Well it looks like the old one is trying to separate, so that answers that.

Dawg Pics

got my new card today and i was wondering should i start using it or wait till the old one dies. Well it looks like the old one is trying to separate, so that answers that.

Where did you get your card? I only have one, but now I think I might get a back-up if yours died already. Only one of my SD cards ever gave me a problem and that was the plastic lock that broke on it.

mikew_RIP

I must be the only D500 owner that considers my XQD card as no more than internal storage, i remove the SD card for downloading and just pop the XQD once every three weeks or so to ensure the contacts stay clean, i dont even have an XQD reader.

Chucktin

I must be the only D500 owner that considers my XQD card as no more than internal storage, i remove the SD card for downloading and just pop the XQD once every three weeks or so to ensure the contacts stay clean, i dont even have an XQD reader.
I'm not familiar with a D500, is there a difference (other than form factor) between the SD and the XQD connection? Speed maybe?

Woodyg3

Contributor
XQD is certainly faster than an SD, but with the D500s large buffer, it isn't often a concern as long as you have a reasonably fast SD card. Sometimes I like to "keep the hammer down" on birds in flight or some type of action, and the XQD card comes in handy then.

Dawg Pics

XQD is certainly faster than an SD, but with the D500s large buffer, it isn't often a concern as long as you have a reasonably fast SD card. Sometimes I like to "keep the hammer down" on birds in flight or some type of action, and the XQD card comes in handy then.

Which SD card is fast? Mine is old and bogs down if there is a large number of clicks.

Horoscope Fish

Which SD card is fast? Mine is old and bogs down if there is a large number of clicks.
If your camera's buffer is outstripping your card, it might be time to get a faster card. The write speed is what's important if you shoot a lot of long bursts because that's the spec' that tells you how fast the card can accept data from the camera buffer and faster, obviously, is better.

ONE OF the fastest SD cards would be the Lexar Professional 2000x.

By way of comparison, the fastest card my D750 will support is the SanDisk Extreme Pro; a UHS-I card with a maximum write speed of 90MB's per second.

Last edited:

Chucktin

I do not understand some of the comments here. The speed, thru-put really, is a function of the internal circuitry of the mechanism (camera in this instance) first _then_ the speed of the card where some form-factors are faster than others by design. And every card that I've looked at tries to hide that spec behind verbage.