XQD Card cancelled.

Danno

This was expected eventually because XQD is 4 pipes, streams, which the CFExpress is 4 and 8 pipes in two versions, type A and type B
So older Nikons will likely be updated with firmware for XQD cameras for Type A only but all newer cameras will be compatible with Type B
Sony will not leave the card market, they have announced 1700mb/s CFExpress.

Sony uses the XQD in their pro video cameras...and it is interesting to note none use 2 slots...because it was designed to be extremely reliable and it is. They have reported after millions made, only 1 failed. The differences are vast, not only are the contacts of a design that are protected and superior connections. They are also more like error detection/error correction buses based on the super reliable PCIe+ architecture.

SD cards are essentially a solid state 5.25-inch floppy disk, the with the same dumb bus system without any error detection. The hysteria over the lack of two cards shows the tech is too complex for Youtube photo gurus to understand. I unsubscribe to any channels that promote that nonsense.
The Z cameras are the only bodies on the market that can use the full capability of the 8 pipe CFExpress and expect a future update that allowed ProRes RAW to card capability, unavailable on any camera less than $25,000. It is not an option with current Sony a7/a9 architecture and surely not Canon.
Nikon was ridiculed for its tag line of "Future Proof" cameras when the Z was announced and the Youtube gurus were pretty vocal about how Nikon was leasing a bad camera. A lot of them staked their reputation on those claims but it was a case of lack of insight, understanding, and vision. They made fun of the S lenses for being too expensive for cheap plastic lenses but later the testing revealed each was the sharpest corner to corner wide open than any other lenses. The 50 is the sharpest lens period and the 24-70 embarrasses the expensive 24-70 2.8 G and E versions in corner-to-corner sharpness, contrast, color, and flare resistance. The announced 2.8 version will be a killer.
The May software update is not a bug fix but a feature addition and Nikon has hinted that the policy of adding features will be a core advantage of the future proofing the Z cameras. The hardware is essentially a blank slate of a tough body, and quality sensor and EVF and everything else is a computer that can be configured to anything the manufacturer would like to add or change. Want better AF? Keep improving the software, it is not limited by the hardware like in a mirrored camera, what more control options, no problem, just write a bit of code and add it to the next feature update. This means unlike the Sony which is built as and treated as a disposable camera, the Z cameras are viable for the next decade, it is certainly built to last.
Sony might switch their production facilities to the CFExpress soon but there will still be a good supply since XQD is still the only available pro grade card.
Due to the obvious advantage of pro cards, SD will not be around much longer in any serious cameras. No "pro" camera will have SD in the next releases.

Thanks for the explanation of the CF Express and the XQD cards. I understood the speed differences, but not how. That 40K foot view was just enough for me.

I also appreciate the comments on the Z camera. I just got mine and love it, and was struggling with all the bad press. I love the 24-70 f4 and I am happy with the systems for focus. I am also anxiously awaiting the May software update. The explanation you gave on the "blank slate" platform makes sense. I struggle with following some things that used to come easily to me... stuff happens. This was helpful. Thanks.

spb_stan

The D7200 is an excellent all-rounder and price that is just right for many. It is, in decent light it has a bit better DR at low ISO so for portraits and landscape is might be a better choice. But the D500 is far better on AF, and JPG processing that allows the camera to be very good in high ISO/low light scenes. It is also pro-level weather sealing, and shutter endurance so overall, for many the D500 is worth the difference that its newer version Expeed processor makes, and higher build quality. Both are perfect for a wide overlapping set of users. I would prefer the D500 however since it fits more of what I would find helpful. It is a good match as a lighter smaller action camera paired with a d810/600 but might not be such a valued pairing with the D850 which has a great AF system. The only real advantage for this latter shooter would be longer reach with telephoto lenses. The D850 can have the pixel density in DX mode that would negate that advantage of the D850. I have a D800 and considered the D500 but added a D850 and Z6 so I feel pretty full of camera goodness now.

Woodyg3

Contributor

Thanks for the link. Jared likes to blather on and on and insert funny clips into his vids. I think of him more as entertainment than an information sourse. :) He is right about the CFexpress cards in the long term, I suspect. In the meantime, Sony and Delkin are making XQD cards and I'm sure they will be for a while, at least until CFexpress cards are really on the market and at a price point that is competitive.

Dawg Pics

Well, this thread has become confusing. It isn't supposed to be a camera shoot-out.

I am satisfied that as of this moment, XQD is still in production. I don't need the size or speed of the CFexpress cards, and don't wish to pay the price for them either. By the time I have no choice, meaning all XQD cards in the world are non functional or sold out, I will have moved on to a lighter camera due to my increasing age, which isn't that far off considering I now have 2 injured shoulders and am half crippled these days from stiff joints. OY:p :D

Horoscope Fish

Is the assumption that the firmware upgrades will allow compatibility of either card or is it going to be one-or-the-other affair?
I've been wondering the same thing.

At first I was thinking, "Surely the CFE firmware update will include backward-compatibility with XQD, if for no other reason than to prevent leaving the current crop of XQD card holders flapping in the wind."

Then I remind myself this is Nikon we're talking about...

BackdoorArts

BAM!! I'm waiting on both the pricing of the new cards to become clear as well as the firmware thing. I have to think it's either/or given what a PITA downgrading firmware is if someone wants/needs to use a QXD card post-upgrade. If it's a mess to do both then Nikon needs (pardon me, "should") at least allow a menu option to be inserted to allow the choosing of Card Type, but...

I've had zero issues with my Sony 64GB card in the D500 and only once came even close to filling it before I could import my images, so I'm adopting a strong wait and see approach. I never upgrade firmware unless it resolves an issue I'm having, but I'm thinking of getting a second D500 (for landscape photography LOL) and as I have only one QXD card it's something I'm seriously curious about.

Last edited:

Danno

I've been wondering the same thing.

At first I was thinking, "Surely the CFE firmware update will include backward-compatibility with XQD, if for no other reason than to prevent leaving the current crop of XQD card holders flapping in the wind."

From what I have read they are supposed to both work. But I cannot help but take a wait and see attitude.

wade7575

I'm with Danno wait and see but from what my guys telling I think you may see only Sony Camera's using the XQD,I say that only because of their track record making for a tech that they developed for others company's to use hasn't been the greatest.

I think the big thing will the price of the CFexpress card if it's going to cost 2 to 4 times the price of an XQD card or more then I think that's what will kill CFexpress if they fail.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
....but I'm thinking of getting a second D500 (for landscape photography LOL)....

I don't want to derail this thread so just a quick question. So which lens would you use for landscape photography on a DX body? A DX lens or an FX lens? I really like my D7200 but haven't been able to decide which lens might work best since all of mine are FX glass. My 18-35mm is good on the wide end but not really long enough to be versatile. And my 24-120mm isn't quite wide enough. Any suggestions? Can't remember if you have the 16-80mm.

Horoscope Fish

From what I have read they are supposed to both work. But I cannot help but take a wait and see attitude.
Well I know the CFE architecture is backward compatible with XQD by design so Nikon would have to decide to cripple their cameras by not supporting both formats. As someone considering a D850 in the near future, I too am taking a wait and see attitude; primarily because I wouldn't put it past Nikon to somehow manage to shoot themselves in (both) feet over this.

wade7575

I never thought about that because if a person has a Z6 or Z7 already and if Nikon only makes firmware updates that support the CFexpress cards that will suck for people who already have XQD cards,unless they make two firmware firmware updates one for the XQD and the other for the CFexpress.

Well I know the CFE architecture is backward compatible with XQD by design so Nikon would have to decide to cripple their cameras by not supporting both formats. As someone considering a D850 in the near future, I too am taking a wait and see attitude; primarily because I wouldn't put it past Nikon to somehow manage to shoot themselves in (both) feet over this.

BackdoorArts

I don't want to derail this thread so just a quick question. So which lens would you use for landscape photography on a DX body? A DX lens or an FX lens? I really like my D7200 but haven't been able to decide which lens might work best since all of mine are FX glass. My 18-35mm is good on the wide end but not really long enough to be versatile. And my 24-120mm isn't quite wide enough. Any suggestions? Can't remember if you have the 16-80mm.

I guess I wasn't clear enough with the added "LOL". It would be a second wildlife camera. I was beating the dead horse of the D500 being a "downgrade" from the D7200 if you use it for landscapes. To put a fork in it, I can't see how you're "downgrading" with a camera that has a superior focus system, higher dynamic range, and the ability to auto-fine tune focus on lenses in the field - but hey, what do I know. Unnecessary upgrade? Almost certainly. But never, ever would it be moving in the wrong direction.

That said, to answer your question, I did plenty of landscapes with my D7000 before going full frame and mainly used the Sigma 8-16mm and the 18-105mm kit. If I was serious and were to buy one today it would either be the Sigma 14-24mm f2.8 or 12-24mm f4 Art Series lenses.

Daz

The Firmware update will add CFE support to the cameras, that will not take away XQD card support...