Winds of Change? :: Lightroom CC vs Lightroom Classic ::

IvanB

I won't be jumping in right away. I will have to upgrade system software, and I want to wait until it looks like everything is running well. (i.e. let others work out the bugs first.)

sounds like good advice, especially since I don't need to jump right away.

I am a Lightroom CC user, and this change comes as I was gearing up to do a better/more organized job of backing up photos. My plan was to put all images on an external hard drive along with catalog backups. Copy this to another external drive as a backup, and then weekly copy also to a 3rd external drive for off site backup. Quit frankly, I wonder how well I can keep this organized. My laptop hard drive capacity is requiring, I make some changes and rather than keeping just some of the images on laptop, I thought it best to have them all in one spot. Less confusing. I'm not sure where my offsite location would be either.

Sounds like going to the New Lightroom CC would solve the storage issue. However, I'm retired and a lot of the images I have are family oriented. I would like to preserve them for family should something happen to me. I'm wondering how accessible they would be for family members, who are not up on light room?

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Except for storage, I like the sounds of Classic version.

Thanks
IvanB

RocketCowboy

Good point @IvanB. One thing to consider when moving data to primary cloud storage is what happens to your account after you are gone. If the account goes unpaid, are the images deleted or archived? Can you allow a spouse/other access to the account?

I've been keeping all raw images that I've shot over the past 4 years if only so that I can have work to test edits or ideas on as I learn more about post processing. If I now ave to pay for that storage annually, I would be encouraged to store less. That could be a good thing, or a bad thing, but definitely a different thing.

I think I'm most likely going to stay with Classic, but will be curious to see if I can continue to sync collections from Lightroom desktop to my iPad if/when I want some mobile editing capabilities, or so I have to decide to go full cloud or no cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spb_stan

I was resistant to the subscription model for a while but switched a year ago to CC Photographer's Bundle plus DreamWeaver CC.
I have done everything practical to eliminate monthly payment and have it down to my Adobe account, 2 dedicated remote server hosting( I own the servers but pay for internet access for the servers and rack space in the US. Everything is no cost or pay as I go.That means if I take a 3 month travel break, my only payments are those two. If I don't use electricity for a month, my bill is $0. Same with phone and internet. My internet connections include 45mb/s 4G and 110mb/fiber optic for a combined cost per month if I use them of less than $18. When I am gone, it is $0
So you can see why having the Adobe CC is a kink in my plan.But even with that unwanted monthly charge, I feel it is well worth it.I like them being up to date all the time...already have been using the latest LR and PS. LR CC Classic is definitely the main program and CC is a toy ok for mobile phone processing but very limited. Storage allowance is small so another $10.mo would be needed for most people. I do not like the risk of losing all access to files and adjustments if the account is interrupted. If you download your files, any adjustments and processing done by CC is lost. You can download processed images that can't be adjusted in CC after downloading. I am not that crazy about mobile editing so CC is just a toy to play with on my phone.
LR Classic however has some new useful features and it seems faster to render and images appear to full resolution much faster. Before, the image would appear with lower res or blur until the full file was loaded into memory, which could take a few seconds with my D800 36mpx raw files even with fast memory, top i7 processor and SSD. Processing a few hundred photos from an event or modeling session, can save lots of time with images appearing in full res quicker.
Overall, people with CC seem to like the bundle and Adobe is making record profits, even though new first time sales are lower. For those who upgraded often, it is a real cost savings over upgrading every 2 years when major editions were released
For those who prefer not to stay with Adobe, there are free alternatives for NEF rendering, either Nikon software or free RawTherapee which is a very feature rich and flexible RAW processor that is free open source. It is more complicated due to the greater number of functions than ACR

RocketCowboy

Who predicted a Creative Cloud rate hike?

Logged into my account to see about rolling my "everything" plan into the Photography Plan, and now it looks like the plan that just includes Photoshop and Lightroom (albeit, both versions of Lightroom) is $20/month.

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 2.59.40 PM.png

Not unexpected, but doesn't really help plant that "I love Adobe and their products" feeling, ya know?

RocketCowboy

Switching to a new account (rather than changing plans on an existing account), and the All Apps plan has gone from $54/month to $79/month.

Price hikes are here.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Who predicted a Creative Cloud rate hike?

Logged into my account to see about rolling my "everything" plan into the Photography Plan, and now it looks like the plan that just includes Photoshop and Lightroom (albeit, both versions of Lightroom) is $20/month.

View attachment 271136

Not unexpected, but doesn't really help plant that "I love Adobe and their products" feeling, ya know?

I just logged in online. Mine says it goes until March 2018 even though I pay monthly. When I look at the choices, the option to keep my plan is still there for the current price.

RocketCowboy

I just logged in online. Mine says it goes until March 2018 even though I pay monthly. When I look at the choices, the option to keep my plan is still there for the current price.

Yeah, I can keep my current plan because it was an annual commit paid monthly. But I'm currently on the all apps for $54/month plan and wanted to reduce down to just the Photography plan, which is now up to $20/month for new users if you want Lightroom Classic.

Bikerbrent

Exactly why I refuse to RENT software. You at Adobe's mercy any time they decide to increase the price. A 100% price increase is blatantly high.

canuck257

Exactly why I refuse to RENT software. You at Adobe's mercy any time they decide to increase the price. A 100% price increase is blatantly high.

Me too, it feels like blackmail to me. Can we put together a list of available options to LR/PS for those of us who don't know what's out there?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't even use LightRoom anymore because I use ACR for all my Camera RAW edits. And I've never used the organizer feature that LR offers. Guess I will see what's available through Adobe when my current subscription expires. I could do without LR if that option is available.

RocketCowboy

I don't even use LightRoom anymore because I use ACR for all my Camera RAW edits. And I've never used the organizer feature that LR offers. Guess I will see what's available through Adobe when my current subscription expires. I could do without LR if that option is available.

Photoshop is available standalone for $9.99/month.

C. Hand

Here in the US I am going with Classic for now, but during this year I will be testing out Luminar, Capture One and Affinity preparing for the inevitable rate hike or complete cloud based only of Adobe.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I just went to the Adobe site. I can keep my current plan, which is Lightroom Classic, Lightroom CC, Photoshop and 20GB of cloud storage for $9.99 a month.

If I want 1TB of cloud storage, (which I do not) the price goes to $14.99.

So, at least for now, my price for the same plan I have had remains the same.

RocketCowboy

So, at least for now, my price for the same plan I have had remains the same.

That's good to hear!

It looks like on an old expired Adobe account, if I go searching for a 20GB plan, I can find the original Photography Plan that includes Photoshop and Lightroom Classic CC (Lightroom CC is also included) for the same $9.99 plan. It's not an option for an account that currently has a plan to downgrade to ... I can't downgrade to anything smaller than 1TB ... but it is an option if I cancel and start over. Makes sense.

Lyn

Does anybody use the Nikon software to convert NEF files to JPG? How good is it? PP can be done by multiple software products, but converting is another story.

nikonpup

has anyone downloaded the 7 day trial version of lightroom cc? 7 days to me is not a lot of time of time evaluate a new program. I am frustrated with the adobe website and all the plans they list and to me good info on what each plan will do.

canuck257

I'm playing with and seriously impressed by DxO Photolab. It's on a 30 day trial at the moment but I can see me buying it shortly. The fact that DxO have bought and will continue to update NiK software is a plus as I use NiK a lot.

spb_stan

Does anybody use the Nikon software to convert NEF files to JPG? How good is it? PP can be done by multiple software products, but converting is another story.
The free converter is very good since it knows the camera presents like Picture Control used which other software does not. For a long time the older Capture NX 2 was the best rendering program for Nikon but ever year Adobe got better and NIC software which developed Capture NX2 got very slow in updates until they just canceled the contract.Most of the technology in NIC software was introduced in Capture NX, like the UPoint. But Capture never was fully debugged and was a memory hog so people were frustrated with it despite liking it because it was the only software which could actually read the file format of NEF since Nikon never released the file definition. Canon did long before so Adobe did not have to guess what was intended by a file. As we know, Nikon has never been competent in software, for example none of the programs it released were well sorted out or with a good user interface. Snap Bridge is a good example.
The fact remains, for simple rendering and minor adjustments, the free software that comes with a Nikon is very good with NEF files to render into TIFF or JPG. Adobe still can't read or write to NEF with all the camera settings like picture control but they have gotten a lot better in guessing. I use LR Classic CC, tried cloud based LR CC and it just does not do much but has potential for those who want to do minor editing on all their mobile devices. It is very limited now but will probably become more complete later.
The Photographers bundle is a great deal although I prefer owning software outright. I have been very happy however with the price and features. It is a mature platform that gets updated often. Things just work. LR is surprisingly capable for general photography so only about 10% of the keepers end up being finished in Photoshop CC. PS is a very complex system, easy to do simple things but its real power requires years of learning. Because it is the industry standard, there are hundreds of books and thousands of YouTube tutorial videos. None of the other software has that ecosystem. I have tried out most of the other software out there including the open source applications and none is complete enough to replace LR or PS.

Raw Therapee is pretty versitle with lots of features in adjusting and rendering RAW files and the GIMP is very similar to Photoshop but use of layers is different so takes a little getting used to, but when you learn it, it is very versatile for Photoshop like pixel level editing. Both of those have the advantage over Adobe because they run natively on Linux or Windows and as a result allows more people to ditch Windows and move to Linux which is an excellent operating system; fast, secure and reliable....and free that works on all platforms.
Most distributions have complete sets of productivity software attached so one can have a totally free computer work environment covering all normal tasks like word processing, spreadsheets, image editing, database, web browsers, email and messaging systems all at no cost. If you want to try is I suggest two of the most popular distributions: Ubuntu or Mint Linux. You can try it without installing it by by running it from a thumb drive and boot into it on start up.. If you have some programs that only run on Windows, you can install Linux in Dual Boot mode so at computer turn on a menu appears asking which system you would like to boot. For general web browsing and common office activities, Linux is safer, faster and requires less OS overhead. Also, viruses are extremely rare so web surfing does not require lots of anti-malware or antivirus programs running in background. Installing new free software applications is easy with one-click installs. The included applications cover almost everything typical home or office users need. The open source, free, Libreoffice is an excellent MS Office replacement and free. I have both the paid for MS Office and the free LibreOffice and use LibreOffice exclusively because it handles a wider range of file formats and will create PDFs from any document easily without buying Acrobat.

So there are lots of options,but for me, after trying them all I prefer Adobe Photographers bundle for $9.99 a month.

todd7500

Photoshop is available standalone for $9.99/month.

I am not seeing that on Adobe's site?
I can find LR stand alone for that price but it doesn't include PS.

Am I doing something wrong?

BTW... I think that Adobe is way overcharging us.
I know that we have choices but there are reasons that some of us find PS the right tool. Just feel like we are being screwed

Just my .02

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am not seeing that on Adobe's site?
I can find LR stand alone for that price but it doesn't include PS.

Am I doing something wrong?

BTW... I think that Adobe is way overcharging us.
I know that we have choices but there are reasons that some of us find PS the right tool. Just feel like we are being screwed

Just my .02

I wouldn't call it standalone, but on the left, do you see the $9.99 price for both Lightroom and Photoshop?

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html