windows 10

I've read that the Win 10 update is free for 12 months then if you don't like it you have to do an operating system rollback.

If you do like it then you have to pay. I'm no expert but that technically means it's not a free update.

Is this true?

No, from what I have read the update is free and will remain that way for those you update in the first year. Also when you buy a new computer with Win10 installed the updates from now on will be free.
From what I read Microsoft did not sell very many copies of any OS. The main income was from new computer installs. The free update will save them money in the long run by having everyone on the same OS version. IT will also be better for software companies since they will not have to be backward compatible. When the present life time runs out on all OS versions except Win10 the overhead of the OS will be a lot smaller and the same goes for all software. New software written will only run on the latest version of Win10 or whatever the latest update is. In the long run it SHOULD be better for everyone. (I did say SHOULD so no bashing of Windows or Microsoft needlessly)

§am

For the consumer market, Win10 will mainly be a case of you get the update whether you want/like it or not.
Business users will be less stuck with this option, as updating anything can potentially break s/w which in some companies could be critical to health and safety.

I'm backing up my current Win7 machines so that I can rollback to them should Win10 not be to my liking (though having been through numerous iterations of the beta testing I don't see it being an issue).
Just one XP machine to upgrade to Win7 and then that's good to go too :)

Now if only Nikon would do something similar.... a free upgrade of the core of their product (in this case camera body) to the latest and greatest :D
Happy days would be all round

thequeenscheese

it will be all about the apps, as android and apple have proved that's where the revenue is, and if uve got a less than legit copy your less likely to spend on the legit apps -if your legit your more likely to spend, and if u e got older versions there's compatability issues..

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
They must have heard me talking on here. The Windoze10 update icon FINALLY appeared. I have reserved it, in case I decide to load it. Ha!

adot45

win 10 icon.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
@donaldjledet Lower right side of task bar. See #29

All it now says is that I will be notified when my copy is ready for download/install when I check on status. I had not had the reserve icon until today.

thequeenscheese

I'm in no rush tbh I may well doit tho now I know there's an actual download for it, someone forwarded me the other option using cmd so I thought I'd try it

10 Gauge

Yep, it's nice so far, a lot more familiar than Win8 was. Some of my apps lost their icons, other than that everything works right.

Kendall_

I'm scared to update to 10...My luck I'll screw something up haha...I did reserve it though

but I noticed it does say its completely free, not a trial

Screenshot (18).jpg

thequeenscheese

I spotted ny tray icon had dissapeared and ive just done a search to get it back i then ran updates and it started to install.

So anyone missing the icon notification, open cmd and paste this script in then press enter -

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx /t REG_SZ /d Green /f
%SystemRoot%\System32\GWX\GWX.exe /taskLaunch

i found it on the link bellow.

How Do I Fix Icon Notification is Not Currently Active - Microsoft Community

thequeenscheese

Also be aware...

Before you accept and run the update download all relevant drovers especially the ethernet drivers etc from the relevant sources first, I've just had a bit if an effort as could not get online play on them somewhere you know will help in the long run.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
OK, Today I got the update to work. It had downloaded the files when I reserved it a couple of days ago. I had waited to see how it would pan out for others and today I got brave enough to pull the trigger. I started by using the Icon in the tray. After starting the process from there, I got a flash screen that said it was "Working On It" or something like that. After over an hour without any change, I did a little research and others had had the same thing happen. Kill that screen and then go to Updates and start it from there. That proved to be successful in short order. A few tweaks and reboots and all seems to be working. Not sure yet if it was worth changing from Windoze 7 or not, but hey, it is done now. Ha!