Which software do you use to edit your pictures

Fortkentdad

I stand corrected - it was Elements that I was expecting to be 64 bit but found that it was not when I was finding it crashing on my 64 bit Win 8 system - had considered upgrading my Elements but gave up on it and went Corel. Not sure if the most recent Elements is up to 64 bit or not yet but too late for me if it is.

RocketCowboy

I had my first 3-hour LightRoom workshop at the local Community College last Sunday.

I'm in the process of converting my workflow from using Aperture, to using LightRoom and possibly a little PS in the future.

RocketCowboy

PhotoShop is addictive, You can't do just a little.

Used to be, I'd use PhotoShop to do what LightRoom does today. I just remember it being complicated ... trying to do things like selective color or cloning out trash or other undesirables from a picture. I ended up just using PhotoShop to resize images and put together a generic web gallery, which was why I ended up moving to iPhoto and then Aperture. Now that I'm getting my feet wet actually editing things, I'm sure I'll be back. :)

Used to be, I'd use PhotoShop to do what LightRoom does today. I just remember it being complicated ... trying to do things like selective color or cloning out trash or other undesirables from a picture. I ended up just using PhotoShop to resize images and put together a generic web gallery, which was why I ended up moving to iPhoto and then Aperture. Now that I'm getting my feet wet actually editing things, I'm sure I'll be back. :)

it does have a steep learning curve. The content aware healing brush is what I would never be able to do without.

Great ... I just learned healing in LightRoom on Sunday, now I gotta go see what the extra fuss is about with healing in PS! :D

I am not sure it is the same in Light room and it is in PhotoShop. PhotoShop has Content Aware Healing brush. It will try and figure out what SHOULD be behind something and put it there when you delete something. Great for removing people who get in the way when you are shooting a scene or like I did recently and removed several large orange buckets that they were using to clean the canons because it just did not fit the character of the scene

don_1521.jpg

Horoscope Fish

The thing I like about Photoshop, really, isn't so much Photoshop itself as much as it is Adobe Camera RAW. I didn't really understand what ACR was, or why I would want to use it so I bypassed it a lot and when right into PS. t took me a long time to figure out just how amazing ACR really is but I do probably 90% of my essential processing in ACR now while PS is reserved more for creative endeavors and the last little bits of fine tuning.

Things specific to Photoshop I couldn't live without are Layers, Masks and Blending Modes.

dh photography

Finally up and running in Lightroom 5. Starting to get the basics on an even keel, and will soon delve a little deeper. Purchased the 999 deal, but still haven't even downloaded PS. I know there are features there that I can't wait to learn, but it's going to be a couple months before I get there.

Horoscope Fish

Finally up and running in Lightroom 5. Starting to get the basics on an even keel, and will soon delve a little deeper. Purchased the 999 deal, but still haven't even downloaded PS. I know there are features there that I can't wait to learn, but it's going to be a couple months before I get there.
I guess I'm lucky I didn't know how difficult Photoshop is to learn before I started learning it. Photoshop seems very intuitive and easy to use for me and I really never have understood where the assumption it's difficult to learn comes from. Not that I'm trying to convert anyone to using PS -- by all means use what you like -- I just hate to see people put off of even trying Photoshop based on some false premise you need a PhD to use it effectively.

dh photography

I guess I'm lucky I didn't know how difficult Photoshop is to learn before I started learning it. Photoshop seems very intuitive and easy to use for me and I really never have understood where the assumption it's difficult to learn comes from. Not that I'm trying to convert anyone to using PS -- by all means use what you like -- I just hate to see people put off of even trying Photoshop based on some false premise you need a PhD to use it effectively.

You're right about the perception of infinite difficulty in learning PS from scratch. I actually think having not ever used it before would make learning it easier than having dabbled in it in the past. I haven't added it to my work flow yet, because I really want to learn my way around LR first. There's so much more that LR can do than I expected. Don't expect to have it mastered in two months, but I'm giving my self that time to at least get the basics down and be getting into some of the finer detailing aspects of it, before delving into PS for layering, masking, etc.. Heck; I still need a new monitor at home that's calibrated, a new external, and my own macbook up and running properly, before then as well.

DrEntropy

I really love photoshop, and enjoy the kinds of creative things you can do with it. I had been using photoshop for quite a while before getting back into the "light acquisition" (i.e. DSLR) side of things. However, my DSLR workflow is centered around lightroom. This is sort of an accident.... I only recently am returned to the world of photography, and jumped in with both feet instead of learning more like I probably should have. I started shooting raw, and just assumed that lightroom was what you were "supposed" to use the initial "developing" of the raw format images.

After I started using LR, I really like the way it helps me keep my images organized, and so still use it for most (quick) processing of images. For images that need more (HDR, layers, special healing, content aware fill etc) I will use photoshop. In those cases I only do minimal processing (exposure / color balance) in lightroom before moving over to photoshop, perhaps add a bit of 'clarity'. But I am still developing (so to speak) this workflow :)

Should I be using bridge / Raw instead? I am never sure, but I will probably stick with what i am doing for now.

WayneF

I use PS CS6 Bridge/Raw, because that is what I have. I love it. Awesome power. I tried hard to like Lightroom, but the Raw part is the same (same module, same revision, I think same everything). The difference seems to be the "organization" part, which totally confused me. Old dogs, new tricks, but I am very happy with Bridge. And very happy with the power of Photoshop on those few occasions that are appropriate. I do always use the batch mode of PS to resample and output the Raw to JPG, but assume Lightroom has something like that too.

If I were starting from scratch today, then I'd have to learn to like Lightroom, its cost is greatly more feasible. :)

John Braden

I've been reading here that some non-Nikon software may not be able to accurately read NEF files. I don't know how important that really is. Since I've just started using the camera (D5300) and only have about 4 months of on-and-off shooting, other than my photo-intensive trip in May, I've found myself wondering which processing software I should use. Since all I have is the software that came with the camera, Nikon's ViewNX2, I don't have much to compare. I'm sure the NX2 is not a very detailed program, I'd like to know which one would be a suitable, cost-effective program that offers quite a few parameters to choose from and is not too difficult to comprehend. What I've posted here are two photographs and the aftermath of my feeble attempts to play with them. Both initially were RAW and then converted to jpeg to post here. Am I doing a decent job? Could I do better? Much better? Let me know your recommendations and comments. Thank you!
Fujisan-before.jpgFujisan-corrected.jpgsunrise-before.jpgsunrise-corrected.jpg

Fortkentdad

just downloaded adobe's freebie app for windows 8 and used it for quick fix on batch of photo's taken today on the road. worked just ticky boo. simple and i think better than some other freebies. but none of the fun stuff in Pixlr.

Rob Bye

I insist on owning all my software, so no Adobe products here.

Instead, I currently use Aperture, and I'm waiting to know more about Photos, when Apple releases it in "early 2015."

​That's for initial adjustments; finishing touches happen in Perfect Photo Suite. For Photoshop style pixel altering, I use Pixelmator.

Fortkentdad

Instead, I currently use Aperture, and I'm waiting to know more about Photos, when Apple releases it in "early 2015."

​That's for initial adjustments; finishing touches happen in Perfect Photo Suite. For Photoshop style pixel altering, I use Pixelmator.

I feel your pain - not sure if I own this new Adobe app but free to use and worth at least twice the price.
I do have a couple of Adobe programs - from days gone by, but my more recent purchases have been Corel's photo program which curiously they call Paintshop Pro, recently upgraded to ver 7 when they had a super special on. but am out visiting and found a quick fixer on this Win8 laptop. Didn't want to load a full program on another's machine.

Horoscope Fish

It's a common misconception when you pay for software you "own" it but the simple fact is, you don't. What you paid for is a license to use the software in accordance with guidelines set forth by the actual owner. This is why, for instance, you can't legally re-distribute copies of software you paid for; because you can't legally give away what you don't own.

Fortkentdad

while i don't "own" my software some companies don't want you to re-pay after your period of non-ownership expires. not to be confused with renting of course.