Where does the D500 leave us D7XXX shooters.

wtlwdwgn

The D500 is a pro DX body which many will not need. Pros will want it because it'll take a beating and keep on ticking on a daily basis. It doesn't replace the D7xxx as it's a different class of body. IMHO it'll be a terrific sports and wildlife body. This isn't to say that the 7xxx, 5xxx, or even the 3xxx won't still produce a fine image but there are folks who will pay the premium for a pro body. There are situations where DX makes more sense than FX even for a pro who can afford to have both. Just my $0.02. :rolleyes:

Geoffc

I hope you right my concern was if Nikon decided not to Take D7XXX any further but concentrate on the D500 and D5500 ranges in the hope of pushing purchasers wanting more higher up the price range.

Mike

If they did that they'd leave some people with no option but go Canon to get what they needed at an affordable price. This camera is the same price as going fx with a 750 and one lens which is something many can't justify/afford.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nikonpup

i am fine with what i have unless someone can do a upgrade to my skills set and i become a nikon ambassador. Or i luck into the powerball tonite.

Woodyg3

Contributor
People have been crying for Nikon to come out with a pro level DX for a long time, and when the D7200 came out, some people were downright pissed off at Nikon when the specs weren't what they were hoping for. I don't know where the D500 will leave most D7200 owners, but it leaves me wanting the D500. That is assuming that when the camera actually finds its way into people's hands, it proves to perform at the level I'm expecting.

Yes. I want 10 fps. Yes, I want a huge buffer. Of course I want better low light performance and improved focusing.

I shoot sports and wildlife far more than anything else. This is the perfect camera for me.

I certainly won't be a first adopter. I'm going to see how this camera performs in real life. But I suspect I'll have a D500 in my camera bag down the line. That's assuming I can figure out how to pay for it. LOL.

Zeke_M

I wasn't aware of the D500 until a week or so ago.
I think I'll take a look at the D500 when the replacement for the D500 is announced.
In the meantime I have my hands and budget full with the D7100.

TL Robinson

I've not been overly pleased with the D7100 - not for any particular reason - the pics I've taken with it have been decent enough just not overall thrilled with the body. I was considering replacing it with a D7200 for a while then they announced the D500. Given I was buying a new camera anyway - I opted to preorder the D500. My daughter has been using a D200 that has seen a lot of use (inherited from her grandfather) so for her birthday she gets the D7100 - will be a good upgrade for her.

D200freak

So Nikon has released the new flagship sports model (D5) and the new flagship DX model (D500), so I'm wondering when we'll see a flagship high resolution model to replace the 810, and what it will do.

I am working on the presumption that it will push into still higher resolution territory. I'm guessing 50 to 60 MP.

egosbar

who needs more mega pixels to clog up post processing time , 36 is plenty , id like to see the 810 with touch tilt screen , wifi and bluetooth , combine some of the d500 with d810 , i dont need more then 6 frames a second

egosbar

oh and fix the dam useless memory banks PLEASE , i wont be upgrading with nikon until its fixed ill stick to user one and two with the d7100

mikew_RIP

who needs more mega pixels to clog up post processing time , 36 is plenty , id like to see the 810 with touch tilt screen , wifi and bluetooth , combine some of the d500 with d810 , i dont need more then 6 frames a second

Its not what people need its the nature of the beast,if Canon do, Nikon will and the other way round,plenty do need the higher MPs even more want them,i have enough with the D7200 my reason for starting the thread was a fear Nikon will hinder the advance of the D7XXX for fear of hitting the D500 sales, due to the already very usable spec on the D7200 advancing it may not seem like a good idea to them.

Danno

Its not what people need its the nature of the beast,if Canon do, Nikon will and the other way round,plenty do need the higher MPs even more want them,i have enough with the D7200 my reason for starting the thread was a fear Nikon will hinder the advance of the D7XXX for fear of hitting the D500 sales, due to the already very usable spec on the D7200 advancing it may not seem like a good idea to them.
It is a possibility that the D7xxx is approaching it's limit at the current cost point. But the cost of tech does tend to drop. I hope when I am in need of an upgrade I can get a DX with D500 features at a D7xxx price. It seems both market segments are strong by just looking at other manfacturers and what markets they support.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

D200freak

I like to do photography of things that are small and/or far, far away and I need as much image resolution as I can get! Taking photos of space launches at a range of several to many miles requires it. Absolutely, I want more than 36 MP if I can get it. I can show some images I've shot of space launches, made with my 150-600mm Tamron, and though they are clear, the vehicle looks like it's made of Legos. Really not that impressive. Yes, I want more. More megapixels. Give me 50, 60, even 80. Keep pushing it until the resolution limit of the optics makes further increases pointless. Then improve the optics.

The future is not LOWER resolution. I consider the 20 MP resolution of the D5 and D500 to be inadequate for what I'm trying to achieve.

There are a fair number of features in these more modern cameras that will only be used by SOME photographers. That doesn't mean they're useless. I will use the memory bank feature if I'm going to be shooting two different events on the same memory card. Bank A for an airshow, B for a wedding, C for walking around town while on vacation, etc. But then again, I don't expect to be doing all those things so close together that I don't get a chance to download the card between events, so yeah, that feature won't be used a lot. And it's easier to just pop out the memory card and put another one in instead.

Meanwhile. I've never used bracketing or exposure compensation. That doesn't mean I want them removed from the next upcoming camera.

RocketCowboy

id like to see the 810 with touch tilt screen , wifi and bluetooth , combine some of the d500 with d810 , i dont need more then 6 frames a second

That (touch tilt screen, wifi/bluetooth) is exactly why I'm not interested in the latest bodies as much. Give me a true weather sealed body, not one with a ribbon cable that claims to violate the weather sealing, and let me on my way.

But hey, it makes it easier to justify NOT upgrading. :)

D200freak

I agree, the tilt/swivel screen HAS to compromise weather sealing. It's a nice convenience feature for the hobbyist, but I'd prefer a more rugged, weather resistant camera instead. I am by no means a professional photographer but I tend to prefer pro grade equipment in anything I get involved with.

Ironwood

The initial reason I heard they left the pop-up flash off was for weather sealing and longetivity, but they go and put the tilt screen on it, which looks like just as big a liability.
The only reason I can see a pro needing the tilt screen is at events where they might need to hold the camera above their head to get above the crowds.

ryan20fun

I agree, the tilt/swivel screen HAS to compromise weather sealing. It's a nice convenience feature for the hobbyist, but I'd prefer a more rugged, weather resistant camera instead. I am by no means a professional photographer but I tend to prefer pro grade equipment in anything I get involved with.
One of my brothers has a D750 and he says that the manual says that closing the tilt screen completes the weather sealing.

HTH

Vincent

I`m mainly shooting D7000, even if my Sony is taking over slowly.
I realise that the D3300 and D5500 are able to surpass the D7000 in some areas. The evolution of the D7X00 will be similar in 4 years to the D500, surpassing it in some areas (sensor based).

You have to see the product placement:
D3X00 => basic cheap, but good
D5X00 => cheap, but lots of features
D7X00 => start of semi pro
D6X0 => start of semi pro FX
D7X0 => top of semi pro
D5X0 => start of pro, DX
D8X0 => high pixel pro
DX => pro for high speed

We have already seen that the AF module of the D750 went into the D7200.
So some innovations will continue to come through the D5X00 and the semi pro, to get people to upgrade .
The pro is loaded with proven technology, not shocking, delivering, the D7X00 seems similar.

The D7X00 will come after the D6X0 for serious upgrade, but it will be running 2 years behind the D500 to keep the order reasonably going.

D200freak

Prediction for a future camera: It'll include either: A fully detachable, self contained touch screen/control unit, or an external touch screen/control unit for remote operation, or the ability to have that functionality via an app running on your smartphone, linked via bluetooth.

If they don't have that ALREADY in somebody's product line.

The ability to have total control of the camera while some small distance away from it could certainly have its uses. I would position the camera in places where a person couldn't safely go, like in the pit lanes at a racetrack, and be able to control it as if I was there, aside from not being able to point it.

And look for that, too! A remotely controlled motorized pan/tilt head controlled by the same device. Now add remotely controllable zoom lenses and you have a total package.

I predict it.

bandit993

Just looked at pre-order for D500. $2700 here in Canada. Not worth it over a D7200. $1300 for the D7200. A lot left to put a nice lens on a D7200. Sure there are some nice specs on the D500. But not that nice. Just my opinion..