What mode do you mostly shoot in?

Pretzel

I'm a big mix between Aperture priority and Manual, with auto WB (I can change that at any time, shooting in RAW) and a set ISO. Most of the shots I take, I know what depth of field I want for the "look", so I set the appropriate aperture and ISO and see what happens with the shutter speed, then adjust ISO to get where I need. For night time, motion, long exposures, or intentional under/over exposure shots, I'm in manual all day long! :) I've only used Shutter priority a couple of times, and seem to prefer manual over that.

Daz

For me Manual all the way, I need to play about with Aperture Priority but a lot o my shots are studio based or sports so I either have settings locked for the whole (portrait) shoot or im just riding the Shutter slightly between shots for a look in sports

adox66

I'm a big mix between Aperture priority and Manual, with auto WB (I can change that at any time, shooting in RAW) and a set ISO. Most of the shots I take, I know what depth of field I want for the "look", so I set the appropriate aperture and ISO and see what happens with the shutter speed, then adjust ISO to get where I need. For night time, motion, long exposures, or intentional under/over exposure shots, I'm in manual all day long! :) I've only used Shutter priority a couple of times, and seem to prefer manual over that.

Yeah actually forgot about WB. Leave it in auto most of the time too as shooting in raw so can adjust if needed in PP

J-see

Yeah actually forgot about WB. Leave it in auto most of the time too as shooting in raw so can adjust if needed in PP

Same here, auto-WB, always ISO at native value, matrix metering unless I do landscape with loads of sky. Then I use high-light.

I adjust aperture and shutter in manual if I am more than 3 stops underexposed with the D810 and close to never with the D750. The rest is post.

If I'm not too lazy I maximize my light intake for any specific shot depending upon the circumstances and that's it. Pushing more buttons won't improve my data after that.

Last edited:

jay_dean

The thing thats struck me most about this thread is the number who use auto ISO. I just didn't think it'd be used by as many as it seems. Just my two penneth

mikew_RIP

The thing thats struck me most about this thread is the number who use auto ISO. I just didn't think it'd be used by as many as it seems. Just my two penneth

The thing is for me using the Tamron hand held its an order of priority's.i need to control the shutter speed to avoid camera shake and subject movement, aperture control is nice,so that leaves the ISO on auto but its not as auto as you think depending on light conditions i change the shutter or aperture if i think a lower ISO is available.

jay_dean

The thing is for me using the Tamron hand held its an order of priority's.i need to control the shutter speed to avoid camera shake and subject movement, aperture control is nice,so that leaves the ISO on auto but its not as auto as you think depending on light conditions i change the shutter or aperture if i think a lower ISO is available.

I use auto ISO at times myself, i just didn't think it was that popular, and it was just that observation that struck me. If i have any complaint about auto ISO, i find it can tend to overexpose in bright conditions at times. When using fast shutter speeds, and aiming for the lens sweet spot, I fully agree that the ISO can usually be the only variable in the Exposure Triangle. Especially useful in the changing British lighting conditions

For walk around shooting for fun it lives in Program with Auto ISO. I can change the ratio of shutter speed to Aperture by a turn of the thumb wheel. BIF gits full manual again with Auto ISO. Then for serious shooting with a purpose then I shoot in whatever mode the shot calls for. The only mode it never goes into is automatic. You get zero control there.

Michael J.

started shutter and aperture mode after using p. Also i started m mode on my vacation. I am so happy that the shots turned out exactly I wanted them

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

adox66

Same here, auto-WB, always ISO at native value, matrix metering unless I do landscape with loads of sky. Then I use high-light.

I adjust aperture and shutter in manual if I am more than 3 stops underexposed with the D810 and close to never with the D750. The rest is post.

If I'm not too lazy I maximize my light intake for any specific shot depending upon the circumstances and that's it. Pushing more buttons won't improve my data after that.

Yep and I shoot to the right when metering.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Not me. Since I used 35mm for years, I am used to changing the ISO from switching film speeds. I too am surprised by the number of people who use it.

singlerosa_RIP

99% manual for me, too. My first camera, a Nikon FM, was fully manual, so although as years passed and bodies became more automated, I found no benefit in changing. I use Auto ISO occasionally.

fotojack

Full Manual for studio and flash work. (portraits)
Aperture Mode for Landscape/Auto ISO
Shutter Priority for sports related shots/Manual ISO and WB
Program Mode for those instant shots that happen occasionally.

I have 4 Banks I can choose from, too, and those are set to A: Portrait Mode B: Sport Mode C: Nature & Travel D: Point n' Shoot

wtlwdwgn

99% of the time I try to shoot with the lens cap off. The viewfinder is much brighter that way. :rolleyes:

Also 99% of the time I shoot in M as I'm pretty old school as well as pretty old. BIFs and snow scenes at +1 EV. Grizzly and black bears at - 1 EV. ETTR as much as possible. Extended DR works for me. I like auto ISO but I'm leery of letting the camera make decisions for me.

Thumper_6119

Contributor
When I got my D2Xs, I shot in P for the first week or two, until I was more familiar with the camera. My current camera has not been out of M (with manual ISO) the entire time that I have owned it. It is all that I shoot in now.

Last edited: