What lenses are you wanting to buy, or already bought for your D800/D800e?

Bill16

Hmmm. I'm not fond of your name for it, but I guess I am a little bit of a gear whore as you called it! Lol No I don't worship my gear as you say, but I do love having the best lens I can afford for the types of photos I want to take! Lol :)
But my goal right now is to get lenses that will help me get the most out of my D800E, leaving only my skill level needing improvement! My ultimate goal is just to have fun enjoying my hobby, and I'm doing that too! Lol ;)

why would the 85 1.4d or even the 1.8d not be a good lens for professionals? theyre both better performers than the 70-200 2.8 nikkors.

I highly doubt it. I sold my 105VR (dont use often enough and not a macro fanatic and I can use extension tubes if need be) and I had the 105 EX older sigma and the 105 2.8D and while I didnt try the new sigma, I still highly doubt it. besides their art lenses, all of there lenses are never extremely sharp open aperture. the nikon is razor sharp. though the 85 1.8G is noticeably sharper.

and to answer your question, yes there are a few lenses id like to buy
-sigma 85 1.4 ART
-sigma 50-85 f/2 art
-tamron 15-30 VC
-sigma fisheye 15mm 2.8
but atm my gear satisfies me. im not a gear whore. Im more into shooting then going to my bag and worshipping the gear. its only tools for creating images. will better tools help create better images? yes. but only a little bit more.

Bill16

It doesn't matter my friends, since it isn't about lens quality which I think is very high!:)
It is about getting the best results out of my D800E, and which lenses can do that!:)

Zeiss makes a 135mm that would give me the full 36 MPs sharpness , which is the best results! The second best is the nikkor 85mm f1.4 G at about 30 MPs sharpness!

The Nikkor 85mm f1.4 D lens gives me 23 MPs sharpness!

All can produce great shots, though some can produce better on my D800E than others! :)
I didn't include the outrageous priced 55mm Zeiss!lol

You can see it here

Best standard and short telephoto primes for the portrait studio - DxOMark

I didn't say that it was. In fact, my post ended with me saying that it is a lens that still makes a lot of pros happy. :)

WM

J-see

Zeiss makes a 135mm that would give me the full 36 MPs sharpness , which is the best results! The second best is the nikkor 85mm f1.4 G at about 30 MPs sharpness!

The 135/2 Zeiss is a wonderful lens but not the easiest to shoot. She requires a pretty high shutter, or tripod, to get sharp shots, is heavy to handle and quite hard to focus correctly. I love the lens and the IQ she delivers is best of all I got but there are times I prefer another lens simply because they're easier or quicker to shoot.

TedG954

The Nikon 24/1.4 is a superb lens on a D800. This was taken at 11pm with minimal parking lot lighting.

DXO Test 1.jpg

Bill16

Would you recommend this lens instead of the 14-24mm zoom? I have a delima in that these lenses are extremely expensive for me, so the zoom seem like it covers the wide angle bases and covers those focal lengths! I wonder if I would feel the lack of focal length variety if I bought the lens you just showed off so impressively? I can't afford buying too many of these high caliber lenses at the prices they go for.
But they and your skill sure are impressive my friend!lol :)

The Nikon 24/1.4 is a superb lens on a D800. This was taken at 11pm with minimal parking lot lighting.

View attachment 191186

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Bill. Long time no post.

Eventually, you will get the lenses that you desire in due time. A very passionate and determined photographer like you can make it happen.

I'm just glad that I have passed the "lens lust" stage.

Bill16

Glenn buddy!!! It has been a long time my friend! I guess your saying go for the nikon Trinity and then after that pick up a lens as I can for primes?:D

Hi Bill. Long time no post.

Eventually, you will get the lenses that you desire in due time. A very passionate and determined photographer like you can make it happen.

I'm just glad that I have passed the "lens lust" stage.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn buddy!!! It has been a long time my friend! I guess your saying go for the nikon Trinity and then after that pick up a lens as I can for primes?:D

Bill - it is very seldom to hear a Nikon enthusiast NOT to say YES on the trinity. Absolute great quality zoom lenses. I have the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR instead of the 14-24mm f2.8 for several reasons. I am also stuck with a wide range of prime lenses. B&H Photo motto on "You can never have too many lenses" is pretty accurate for enthusiasts.

It has been years that I've wanted to downsize my equipment but could not do it.

Bill16

You could always send them to me buddy! Lol :p
Yes I'm going to buy the 14-24mm and the Gitzo's traveler tripod in the systematic selection! This will be about February or March with tax returns money and some money saved by then! Lol :)

Bill - it is very seldom to hear a Nikon enthusiast NOT to say YES on the trinity. Absolute great quality zoom lenses. I have the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR instead of the 14-24mm f2.8 for several reasons. I am also stuck with a wide range of prime lenses. B&H Photo motto on "You can never have too many lenses" is pretty accurate for enthusiasts.

It has been years that I've wanted to downsize my equipment but could not do it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Bill - in time, I have been considering selling some of my least used lenses such as my Nikon 300 f4 AFS, Nikon 50mm f1.8G, 28mm f1.8G and Nikon D3s.

My most used lenses are the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G and Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR macro lens.

Lenses that I cannot part with are the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and CZ 135mm f2.

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII gets little used because I rarely shoot sports or wildlife photography.

My D800E and Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 are paired most of the time.

Bill16

After looking at some comparisons I would get the 50mm f1.4 af-d for my fifty mm needs!I've also be so impressed by my 85mm f1.4af-d lens I'm tempted to buy the G version of it later down the road! :)

Bill - in time, I have been considering selling some of my least used lenses such as my Nikon 300 f4 AFS, Nikon 50mm f1.8G, 28mm f1.8G and Nikon D3s.

My most used lenses are the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G and Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR macro lens.

Lenses that I cannot part with are the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and CZ 135mm f2.

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII gets little used because I rarely shoot sports or wildlife photography.

My D800E and Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 are paired most of the time.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
After looking at some comparisons I would get the 50mm f1.4 af-d for my fifty mm needs!I've also be so impressed by my 85mm f1.4af-d lens I'm tempted to buy the G version of it later down the road! :)

Bill - you are doing this correctly by making comparisons and asking people who have or have used the lenses that you would like to acquire.

My suggestion is to get what you really would like to have and avoid any possible upgrading in the future.

I'v owned the D lenses before. The are good lenses but personally, the G versions performs better "optically" to my eye if you can afford them.

Bill16

The only AF-D lens I'm considering is the 50mm f1.4 due to the test results from DxOmark saying the G lens for that focal length wasn't very sharp in comparison!:)

So yep I'm pretty much looking for G lenses with the Trinity being first three on my list! Lol the 14-24mm problem with filters make it a bit of an issue! But I'm going to try getting one of the expensive adapter setups hopefully one coming with a few filters to start out with! :)

The first prime G lens I might get is the 85mm f1.4! :D

But that will be quite a bit later, likely! Lol :)

Bill - you are doing this correctly by making comparisons and asking people who have or have used the lenses that you would like to acquire.

My suggestion is to get what you really would like to have and avoid any possible upgrading in the future.

I'v owned the D lenses before. The are good lenses but personally, the G versions performs better "optically" to my eye if you can afford them.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The only AF-D lens I'm considering is the 50mm f1.4 due to the test results from DxOmark saying the G lens for that focal length wasn't very sharp in comparison!:)

So yep I'm pretty much looking for G lenses with the Trinity being first three on my list! Lol the 14-24mm problem with filters make it a bit of an issue! But I'm going to try getting one of the expensive adapter setups hopefully one coming with a few filters to start out with! :)

The first prime G lens I might get is the 85mm f1.4! :D

But that will be quite a bit later, likely! Lol :)

Hence, which is why I ended up with the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR, Nikon 50mm f1.8G and Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM as an alternative choice.

Photowyzard

I use primarily a Tamron 24-70 f2.8. Great quality. Better value.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is, in fact, an awesome lens. I have seen it in use and the IQ on it is amazing.

What is more amazing is, when you compare the price to the Nikon 24-70 f2.8G. Don't even think of looking at the price of the f2.8G VR!! Nikon are out of their minds.

I have compared the images to the non VR and they are close enough. A great value lens.

As for my own personal WANT LENS, I think I would like a Nikon 600mm f4E FL ED VR..... BUT ... unless I win the lottery, I am NOT giving Nikon $16,000. Sooooorry!

If I am desperate, I can always use my Tamron 150-600mm. Not as sharp, but an excellent lens non the less.

BTW, you might want to check out the Tokina AT-X 24-70mm f/2.8 PRO FX lens.... rated slightly better than all of them by DXO Labs.

Last edited: