What do you think?

RickSawThat

DSC_0795 - Version 2.jpg

Another from my test day.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hi Rick - this one looks better then your others, but it's still not as natural looking as it could be. A couple things that stand out to me:
  • I can see the line where you selected skin on her neck & there is a difference in skin color between her neck and face. You should probably edit all skin at the same time.
  • Her eyes look unnaturally white to me
  • There's something funny going on with her ears
  • There are some stray hairs that could easily be cloned out on her right side
That said, retouching is really tricky and takes a lot of practice.

Rick M

I like the pose, composition and skin tones. I get a feel from her expression that she's had enough of pictures? Kind of a bored look maybe?

RickSawThat

cnyram - interesting and insightful comment this one was towards the end of the shoot.

jdeg - i'll keep working on it. all the skin was done at the same time it's a makeup issue and it seems like i need to correct the neck vs face separately due to that. good point about the hairs, the ears weren't re-touched not sure what to do there.... the comments are really helping i appreciate them! i can take the whites of the eyes down a bit, work on the hair and see what i can do about making the face vs neck more similar. need to ask them to apply makeup to neck and chest before shoot may help in the future too? trying to set up more shoots with different people next week...

Eye-level

Banned
I think it is sort of neutral exposure wise. Lighting is the key here IMO. I bet the same pose same subject during the golden hour would be a very different photo. Still a pretty darn good photograph though.

ohkphoto

Snow White
This is much better, but I think you could be a little more creative with lighting. Adding a side, back or hairlight would add some depth to the photo.

What is your exif data on this and are you using flash?

RickSawThat

exif data:
Device model: Nikon D5100
Color Space: RGB
Color Profile: Adobe RGB
Focal length: 120
Alpha channel: No
Red Eye: No
F number: 5.3
Exposure program: 3
Exposure time: 1/60
No flash - Natural late light about 3:30pm in open shade

At this point I have the on camera flash, sun and clouds for lighting. Looking to get a SB700 after I survive the xmas spending season. Probably about 1 - 2 months out on the flash ;)

<3PhOtOs

I think whoever that is, looks hot!

I love her expression, pose, angle of the camera and way the background is blurred good job!