WHat do y'all think?

grandpaw

I have had my D7000 for about a year now and have had zero problems with it and would highly recommend this camera. In your case I think I would move on and get something else because you will always have it in the back of your mind that it just may cause you problems and when you are taking pictures the confidence of the equipment you are using is tops on your priority list.

This is a little off the subject but I learned thirty or forty years ago to not shoot anything without having a backup available to fall back on. It doesn't have to be the same make model and quality as your main setup but you really need to have backups for each of your items. Sooner or later you will be out shooting and one of your pieces of equipment will develop a problem and if you do not have a second option you could have serious problems. Some things like weddings and many other things you shoot just cannot be done over. You do not want to have to tell someone that you are sorry, but your camera, flash, or other piece of equipment stopped working. Again I think the only choice you have would be to move on to something else.
Jeff

Last edited:

caveman

Hello,
Not been here in some time.
Just want you to know that i feel your pain.I am on my 2nd 7000, and i will not get another one.The only thing to do is
move on,i don't even want to use it so i just ordered me a d300s it is proven.I will never buy a cam. that is new to the market again...

Best of luck to you
Some times it is not user Error, it is just junk

ccoulson

Well,

I have the camera in my posession still after it was returned the SECOND time, and it is worse than before. I am starting to think that the Lens mount has an issue, because thats when most of my problems happen (when I have changed a lens) Today, during a shoot, I Got an FEE error on the camera and it wouldnt work. awesome.

My main problem here is with Nikon.

Their customer service has been horrid. The first time I sent my camera in I was really impressed. They were friendly, and fast. But since then they are rude, and condescending... and they have my number flagged, so when I call people are automatically rude to me. Ive gotten off the phone 2 times in tears because they make me feel like its me and not the camera.

The last time I called them, I directly asked to speak to a manager. They put me on hold for Exactly ONE HOUR (To the minute-my husband and I watched the timer on the phone) then at the 1 hour mark, the guy who answer said.. "Ok ma'am thank you for holding I will transfer you know" Seriously, playing games with me to see if I would hang up.
Does it really take exactly one hour for the supervisor to pick up a phone?

Once I got the "Floor supervisor" he would put me on mute while I talked and two seconds after I finished speaking he click back over and say "Sure, I understand" thats it.

I called Corporate Nikon in NY to complain and they put me through to the customer service manager, she never returned my call. Im thinking of calling again.

Heres the thing.
I can send the camera back in a third time... They have already sent the label for me to send it, but I recently was contracted out to shoot the Fall cataloge for the Bookstore at the University of Kentucky. Its a huge opportunity, and I have my moms 5100 that I could use but (when working) Mine takes such better photos. I cannot send it in for another 3 weeks!!! I just cant.

The floor supervisor told me extactly what everyone else Ive talked to has told me.. " Send it in, we will process it quickly... I will follow your case and keep you updated... We will send you tracking information and updates.. I will call you when bla blah blah.." They never do. I like when they say " I am a supervisor, you have had normal technicians working on your camera in the past... I will personally see that everything is done to fix the issue" Why isnt everyone there trained to fix it the first time???????? Why does it take sending it back 3 times to get it right. I havent even had the thing a year!!!

I have never been treated so poorly in my life, and I feel like they honestly just dont care.

I know the camera needs to go back again, But im dealing with it right now because I have no choice. Im busy photography wise, and Switching a lens out and taking the battery out and putting it back in seem to be getting me by right now. Hopefully it will last a few more weeks while I am still working for the bookstore.

Then, I may just sell it and go to another brand. Im that done....

Dave_W

The Dude
Did you buy your camera from a local dealer or over the internet? If you purchased it from a dealer, call him/her up and have them be your advocate. I had a problem with my D7000 and oil on the sensor (well, it's not really the sensor, it's actually the anti-aliasing filter but I refer to it as the sensor anyway) and I had read that Nikon has yet to acknowledge the problem. I called my dealer and explained that my sensor was spotted with oil, he in turn called his Nikon rep who authorized an overhaul. I didn't even have to do the sending, my dealer took care of it. The camera returned with a complete new mirror box as well as multiple other items changed out or serviced. I re-tuned all my lenses and so far it's worked wonders. The moral of this story is that I will always buy my gear from my dealer, even if it costs a little bit more. Having a concerned human helping me deal with the intangibles of camera repair is well worth any extra $ it takes to buy from him.

ccoulson

Hey Guys,

Just an update...
I FINALLY got rid of my awful D7k, and went to the store yesterday to get the new d600...

While there i unfortunatly got my hands on the d800..

and I got it!! (ALONG with a protection plan.... so i wont have to deal with Nikon again)

I havent even had a chance to play with it... LOL. but I cannot wait to when i get off work.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and for all of the suggestions. I really think that I may have just gotten a lemon D7k, and hopefully I have better luck with my new kid!

Courtnie

Phillydog1958

Hey Guys,

Just an update...
I FINALLY got rid of my awful D7k, and went to the store yesterday to get the new d600...

While there i unfortunatly got my hands on the d800..

and I got it!! (ALONG with a protection plan.... so i wont have to deal with Nikon again)

I havent even had a chance to play with it... LOL. but I cannot wait to when i get off work.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and for all of the suggestions. I really think that I may have just gotten a lemon D7k, and hopefully I have better luck with my new kid!

Courtnie
Good for you. You go, girl! :)

Phillydog1958

Hi Courtnie. I've only had it since last Saturday. I'm impressed with it. It's within my budget and I now have a full-framed camera. I plan on keeping this one for some years. I don't see any other upgrades, anytime soon. I plan on getting a battery grip and FX, wide to moderate, walk-around zoom. I actually visited Bestbuy a few weeks ago and played with the D800. You have a nice camera. I was impressed with it, also. Good luck to you with your D800.

ccoulson

Hey!!!

I had the 600 on hold with my name on it and was just going to pick it up... My sweet mom came with me, and saw the 800 and the girl at the store told her the differences...... I decided to stick with the 600 but my mom offered to pay the difference in the 2..and wouldnt take no for an answer......

I got really lucky... The d800 was WAY above my budget. I just have really sweet and parents who are extremely supportive of my hobby/someday hopefully career.

Hi Courtnie. I've only had it since last Saturday. I'm impressed with it. It's within my budget and I now have a full-framed camera. I plan on keeping this one for some years. I don't see any other upgrades, anytime soon. I plan on getting a battery grip and FX, wide to moderate, walk-around zoom. I actually visited Bestbuy a few weeks ago and played with the D800. You have a nice camera. I was impressed with it, also. Good luck to you with your D800.