Weekly Challenge June 29 - July 6: Musical Instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Hamilton

Damn, this challenge is coming a week early. :(

Next week, I'll be photographing some famous musicians including Carrie Underwood, Darius Rucker, and Lady Antebellum.

I'm in a third world country and found a fabulous instrument. You're in Ohio for goodness sake!!! How about a picture of the Brass Band of Columbus!!! They are one of the finest musical organizations in the world. You could also go to OSU and get a picture of the tuba used to "dot the I". Of course there is also the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. There is so much great music in your state that I'm just a little bit jealous!!!

Curt

After many shots and set ups, (with the judging of my wife) I decided on this one.

My father-in-law loved music. Especially blue grass and country. He learned to play several instruments growing up. He even taught his sons to play guitar. The one photo shows a couple of his sons and him in their costumes as they played around the area, mostly for the grange hall and barn dances. He really got into his fiddle playing. I myself didn't get the chance to hear him play. I found his fiddle one day under his bed, was going to fix it up so I could hear him play, but never got the chance. Charlie and his wife Adhelia passed away 5 yrs ago, 3 months apart. As you see, I left the fiddle the way it was. I feel it looks better that way.

It is best to leave the old fiddle that way, it tells a story of a man's life & love of music.
My wife's grandfather (in Sweden) made his fiddle & a guitar, when he passed away my father in law thought we should have them, so they made the trip here to Canada. I have posted pictures of them on my gallery awhile back.
Great teasures to have.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is a close-up of the clarinet my late father brought back from the second world war when he was stationed in Germany.
Apparently he got it in exchange for canadian cigarettes. The instrument itself has always had attraction to me, but even more for the case with it's latches. This is why I put more importance on the latch than the instrument itself.

clarinet sepia.jpg

Exif: D700, ISO 1600, Sigma 105 macro, 1/30 @ f5.

Last edited:

Curt

Wow! what a great story to go with your picture, Really nice. It must bring back memories Marcel.

KWJams

This is going to be a tough contest to judge. Some really great shots as well as stories that goes with them.

My musical talent is limited to playing a stereo. :(

Some of fondest memories was when I was a kid and all the family would get together on Friday nights and play music. My Mom played the Mandolin, step Dad played a steel guitar and an uncle and aunt both played guitars while GrandPa Paul would put his store bought teeth in his shirt pocket and pull out his Harmonica. :)

Browncoat

Harp.jpg

Mandolin Harp

EXIF:
Nikon D300s
1/250 sec @ f/13
Flash synced to a single AlienBees B800 @ full power
Tonemapped in Photomatix
Aged in Lightroom and Photoshop

Browncoat

Another one in the books, kids. Helene has posted, so that must mean this one is over... :)

Thanks to all who participated!

Status
Not open for further replies.