Wedding Story - Did I Act Wrong?

Geoffc

Gohan

You asked for opinions and for people to guess what might be happening or why something happened. You got some opinions and based on a lack of facts and the replies they tried to imagine what might be the problem. I'm not sure what else to say...

gohan2091

Geoffc, yes, I understand. I just wanted to know if I was in the wrong (about calling reception) I really did have her best interests at heart. Thanks everyone for posting your opinions and encouragements, I really appreciate it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
By now you probably realize the value of a contract. However, it isn't only for your protection...it's for the client's protection, too. And you can sell the benefits of a contract to them as locking in your low price, being there in a timely fashion and doing all that is required of you, as well as guaranteeing the final product by a specified date. So please don't view a contract as something scary (not sure if you do or not, but also don't know why you didn't use one). That said...if something unexpected comes up such as you break your arm or leg, you've got to have a back-up plan so the job gets completed.

Secondly...your prices are very low. That is your choice. And how you advertise is your choice. However, all of that says something about you. It implies you might be starting out and possibly don't have a lot of experience. My point is this: if you advertise low prices and state you are looking for further experience, most likely you won't be getting too many clients who are able to afford the finer luxuries in life. It seems that you are catering more towards some who might be considered less than desirable clients. Granted, there are good and bad people no matter what their education or income level, but wouldn't the majority of people looking for a reputable photographer go by word-of-mouth or one who advertise in places other than just free sites? Let's put it this way...if our camera is out of warranty and is broken, how many of us would get it serviced by someone who only advertises on free sites and who says they want to gain experience? What types of clients will this person get?

Personally I think you acted professionally regardling your interactions with the client. One can only guess why she opted for a different photographer. Maybe someone in the family wanted to do it as a wedding present (hence no out-of-pocket payment involved). Possibly your not having a contract made you a target--the client is easily off the hook if they change their mind for whatever reason.

Please use this life experience as a stepping stone to propel you forward rather than an obstacle that holds you back. If we all learn from our mistakes and take strides to avoid making the same mistakes over and over, that's where we grow in both knowledge and maturity. It's accepting the responsibility that we messed up rather than trying to pass-the-buck. And then taking action so as not to repeat the same mistake again. I think your mistake was in not having a contract--no matter how you advertise, you've got to value yourself enough to find a contract a worthwhile part of your business. Good luck to you on your next gig--and there WILL be another wedding opportunity in your future! ;)

And +1 to @Pretzel. :)

Brian

I usually bring a camera when invited to weddings, have seen a full range of "professionals" from the most courteous that invite friends and family to take pictures; to one that did not bring a wide-angle lens- borrowed mine for the shot and put a greasy thumb print on the rear element as he handed it back; to one pair that lost all of the shots from the main and second photographer making mine the only usable ones from the wedding. If I'm the main photographer, it's when asked- and the pictures are a gift to the family. I'm happy to be in a position where I don't need the money for the shoot, I would not have the required patience for situations like this one!

gohan2091

It's clear to me now from looking at the clients Facebook page that she did indeed get married today so she either decided on another photographer or relied on her family for the photos. I know she likes my engagement photos because they are on her Facebook and her timeline photo is one of my photos. Oh well, I live and learn. I will definitely ask for a deposit and come up with some kind of contract. Would anyone here like to share their contract so I could have some sort of idea of what one should include?

hark, I put "looking for experience" as to not disappoint the customer if I don't deliver exactly what they envisioned. We all know it's unrealistic to expect top quality professional photos for such a cheap price. This time last year, I haven't photographed a wedding before so I still have room to grow. My photos are good and some are great and not one person has been unhappy with the results. I have received high praise from a few customers and got a couple of referrals too. I posted a thread today about pricing myself and a link to my portfolio so if you're interested, take a look. I will be increasing my prices, although I still would like to express that I am not a professional and still developing.

ShootRaw

hark, I put "looking for experience" as to not disappoint the customer if I don't deliver exactly what they envisioned. We all know it's unrealistic to expect top quality professional photos for such a cheap price. This time last year, I haven't photographed a wedding before so I still have room to grow. My photos are good and some are great and not one person has been unhappy with the results. I have received high praise from a few customers and got a couple of referrals too. I posted a thread today about pricing myself and a link to my portfolio so if you're interested, take a look. I will be increasing my prices, although I still would like to express that I am not a professional and still developing.
Honestly and do not take this wrong. If you have shot 5 weddings,I feel you should put more value on your services..I have not shot any weddings yet..I am a Semi-Pro and do charge for my services..I mainly do Family shoots at this point..Iam very interested in Fashion photog and lifestyle.. Since you have gotten your feet wet in weddings. I think today is the day you look into the mirror and say"I going forward will charge more for my work, because I want my future client's to see the value in hiring me" This will show people they are going to get quality work and never doubt you..But for that to happen,you first should never doubt your ability's to get the job done..

Last edited:

gohan2091

@ShootRaw, perhaps you're right. I am often modest and under value my abilities. I know I need to work on this further but I still have things to learn about off camera lighting, posing and I need to become more confident behind the camera. :)

rocketman122

I will get back to reading all the other comments but for now just read yours and the $248 made me chuckle. haha why not $250 even?

anyways you were not wrong. not even for a millisecond. Shes lucky it wasnt me who she was dealing with because I would not be as polite as you are. if she was happy at the time, after dealing with me, she would not be.

ill get back to the thread but dont think for a second you were wrong. who knows the real reason, but maybe she wanted a different photog or maybe thought you couldnt handle the level of work she was expecting. who the hell knows. good bye good riddence. people like this need to be locked up at home so the public doesnt have to deal with them.

Last edited:

skater

I usually bring a camera when invited to weddings, have seen a full range of "professionals" from the most courteous that invite friends and family to take pictures; to one that did not bring a wide-angle lens- borrowed mine for the shot and put a greasy thumb print on the rear element as he handed it back; to one pair that lost all of the shots from the main and second photographer making mine the only usable ones from the wedding.

Those are some really inept photographers! I'm amazed that anyone who has had an SLR for more than a few hours would touch the glass like that, and how did the other photographers lose all of the pictures?!

Brian

This particular professional made money per print offered. If my pictures were all blurry- more sales for him. My Nephew's wedding, who later told me that the guy's shots were not very good and they did not order any extras.

Last edited:

gohan2091

I will get back to reading all the other comments but for now just read yours and the $248 made me chuckle. haha why not $250 even?

anyways you were not wrong. not even for a millisecond. Shes lucky it wasnt me who she was dealing with because I would not be as polite as you are. if she was happy at the time, after dealing with me, she would not be.

ill get back to the thread but dont think for a second you were wrong. who knows the real reason, but maybe she wanted a different photog or maybe thought you couldnt handle the level of work she was expecting. who the hell knows. good bye good riddence. people like this need to be locked up at home so the public doesnt have to deal with them.

Thanks :) I did a currency conversion from Great British Pounds to US Dollars and that's the figure it gave me :D

everprentice

That's why you need terms written no matter how cheap you charge so you and your client knows you are on the same page like-what if your cameras fail during the shoot, what if you loose their photos, what if you get sick God forbid.

======================
Typed with two fingers on a bright shiny doodad.

everprentice

Thanks guys for your replies, I feel a little bit better now but I still have this sick feeling in my stomach which hopefully will go away soon. WJYPhoto, you are right and I think I will do this from now on. I'll ask for a deposit and write a small note with details of the cancellation policy and loss of the deposit. It does sound like she found another photographer that's cheaper but I already feel my prices are very cheap to begin with. I now hope the photographer does a less than acceptable job because I feel bitter about the whole thing. :(

By the way check out legal terms. Deposit is refundable but a retainer fee is not.

======================
Typed with two fingers on a bright shiny doodad.

rocketman122

This particular professional made money per print offered. If my pictures were all blurry- more sales for him. My Nephew's wedding, who later told me that the guy's shots were not very good and they did not order any extras.

Thats a shame. didnt know people still offer services by the print. seems like a huge waste of money. I close my deals and get my money no matter what. seems like a very dumb business practice and huge waste of time. back and forth and such a waste of time for prints. that was ok for the film era but today? its a waste of time and profitability. I give the BG all the pics. theyre happy they can pass Dimages to who they want and have them print it. they want extra prints? sure, print at home, or send it out to a lab and have them send it to you in the mail. its just a huge waste of time. very old school tactic. seems this guy is stuck in the 90's. and his pictures sucked as well.

not only that but in the end the client is not happy. more than anything the biggest problem problem is not having all the pics kills from the "completness" feel of the wedding. 10 pics here and 10 there, makes you feel like the whol event was broken up. why didnt you stop them from taking this clown?