Wedding Story - Did I Act Wrong?

Michael J.

Do you feel wrong? Do you feel you did the right thing?

Let me tell you something I do: In my business, no photography, I do a lot of quotes, talking, making offer and visit my clients and so on. I invest time, money and my ideas of a program I elaborated them.

Sometime happens that out of a sudden the company or person cancels my contract saying it is to expensive, or saying they will postpone it or something like that.

You know what, I will never sneak around and try to find out if it is true what they told me why not. It makes my life happier. I go on with my work and tell to myself: "Next time I'll get the order" knowing that I am not that bad in my field.

Mike D90

You know what, I will never sneak around and try to find out if it is true what they told me why not. It makes my life happier. I go on with my work and tell to myself: "Next time I'll get the order" knowing that I am not that bad in my field.

And this is called "confidence in one's self".

Sambr

That is alittle harsh..His experience says Semi-Pro...He doesn't make his $$ solely from his photog..
If he did he would of done the contract deal..Cant blame him for trying to make a go at it..Got to start somewhere..I do believe his prices were way to low...Engagement shoot should have least been $250..And atleast 2k for a wedding...

Not harsh reality.Earn your stripes first then hang your shingle. A semi-pro or as he calls himself(whatever the hell that means) would of had a written contract, would of taken a "Non refundable deposit" etc. It's just stuff that a pro would know to do. I am NOT a pro I am a hobbyist and intend to stay that way. However I have friends that make their living with photography so I know what they do and how they go about it. In my business I see so many people who buy a DSLR and all of a sudden they are "wedding photographers" with no experience other than maybe they shot aunt Betsy's 3rd wedding in the backyard.

Mike D90

Not harsh reality.Earn your stripes first then hang your shingle. A semi-pro or as he calls himself(whatever the hell that means) would of had a written contract, would of taken a "Non refundable deposit" etc. It's just stuff that a pro would know to do. I am NOT a pro I am a hobbyist and intend to stay that way. However I have friends that make their living with photography so I know what they do and how they go about it. In my business I see so many people who buy a DSLR and all of a sudden they are "wedding photographers" with no experience other than maybe they shot aunt Betsy's 3rd wedding in the backyard.

But if, hypothetically, he has shot a dozen weddings does he stop before he shoots the 13th?

ShootRaw

I agree that there are people out there that have no business shooting weddings..I think what the bride to be did was wrong...To me a semi-pro is someone who gets paid for part-time work they do for their photog..And someone striving to be a full-time professional

Last edited:

Mandikins

I do feel thatsince this day and age has changed things regarding communication, (text, email, ect.) that you were right to verify as you were in all accounts "hired" to do a job and if you did NOT show up for a job you were hired to do, it could ruin her special day AND put a dent in your reputation as being dependable. Word of mouth goes a long way. I would have been more worried as a bride if you would have not cared enough to check and verify. I know several professionals that want to produce a good relations with possible returning clients so they will "bend the rules" to give them special benefits to keep them returning. Not saying that its common or a good thing, just saying it happens.

Also, I am a noob on here and a hobbyist at this point, HOWEVER, we do not know this person's FULL background except for what tiny background was offered. For all we know he could have already put some time in on weddings as an assistant and has now pulled off half a dozen weddings on their own. Its not fair to assume and bash. Remind me as a hobbyist or someone that eventually would LOVE become a full time photographer not to forget to put my full bio before asking a simple question. As a newcomer, bashing fellow lovers of photography (hobbyists, amature, semi pro or pro) is not what I care to see and definitely puts a bad taste in my mouth. I like to think we all had to start somewhere and would rather see encouragment from others than useless disapproval when it was not even asked for. Rookie business mistakes do not mean this person does not have amazing raw talent.

Good luck in your future endeavors and business. The best lessons are the ones we live. :)

...to the stars and back...

Sambr

I do feel thatsince this day and age has changed things regarding communication, (text, email, ect.) that you were right to verify as you were in all accounts "hired" to do a job and if you did NOT show up for a job you were hired to do, it could ruin her special day AND put a dent in your reputation as being dependable. Word of mouth goes a long way. I would have been more worried as a bride if you would have not cared enough to check and verify. I know several professionals that want to produce a good relations with possible returning clients so they will "bend the rules" to give them special benefits to keep them returning. Not saying that its common or a good thing, just saying it happens.

Also, I am a noob on here and a hobbyist at this point, HOWEVER, we do not know this person's FULL background except for what tiny background was offered. For all we know he could have already put some time in on weddings as an assistant and has now pulled off half a dozen weddings on their own. Its not fair to assume and bash. Remind me as a hobbyist or someone that eventually would LOVE become a full time photographer not to forget to put my full bio before asking a simple question. As a newcomer, bashing fellow lovers of photography (hobbyists, amature, semi pro or pro) is not what I care to see and definitely puts a bad taste in my mouth. I like to think we all had to start somewhere and would rather see encouragment from others than useless disapproval when it was not even asked for. Rookie business mistakes do not mean this person does not have amazing raw talent.

Good luck in your future endeavors and business. The best lessons are the ones we live. :)

Well,said. However when someone calls themselves "semi pro or pro" expect to get flack for as you say for "rookie" mistakes. Anyone can take pictures very few are photographers.

Lawrence

Wel said but the OP did ask in his heading "Did I act wrong?" so he is getting honest opinions which hopefully will help him in future dealings with clients.

Mandikins

I have perused this site for a full week or so now and I guess I just keep seeing some members rudeness throughout this site. I am a moderator on a worldwide forum that encourages individuality and artistic leisure as most of our members are car enthusiasts. We also have a no "douchebaggery" policy and we are highly acclaimed because of it. We all appreciate and understand not everyone will agree, but we don't allow rudeness to any of our members. I can appreciate "honest opinions" on the topic at hand, which happened to be if what they did was wrong, not if they should call themselves pro or not and yes, there are a lot of good suggestions and ideas in regards to the question. I do agree with most of what you all said. I just feel it was harsh and uncalled for to go off on him for making "rookie business decisions". It is what it is.

I will continue on my merry way. To all a good rest of your evening. :)

Sambr

Sorry you feel that way. In life a person has to take the good with the bad, if you really want to help someone do them a favor use a little less sugar. Point out the mistakes, just as you would point out the good. I too am a moderator on other forums, I can tell you the folks on this form are about the nicest anywhere, yes there are disagreements and some passionate heated discussions - but that's all good because there is even more camaraderie, knowledge & experience being displayed. You said you have been here a week and you judge us based on one discussion in which I shared my honest point of view. Wow I am floored. All I can say is good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Mike D90

Well,said. However when someone calls themselves "semi pro or pro" expect to get flack for as you say for "rookie" mistakes. Anyone can take pictures very few are photographers.

I agree that not having a contract and deposit was a mistake. Probably a rookie mistake as you pointed out. I am more implying that there are amateurs and hobbyists that could certainly do a wedding shoot with extremely good results. There are people on this forum, hobbyists, I would choose over a "professional" any day of the week.

Nero

I have perused this site for a full week or so now and I guess I just keep seeing some members rudeness throughout this site. I am a moderator on a worldwide forum that encourages individuality and artistic leisure as most of our members are car enthusiasts. We also have a no "douchebaggery" policy and we are highly acclaimed because of it. We all appreciate and understand not everyone will agree, but we don't allow rudeness to any of our members. I can appreciate "honest opinions" on the topic at hand, which happened to be if what they did was wrong, not if they should call themselves pro or not and yes, there are a lot of good suggestions and ideas in regards to the question. I do agree with most of what you all said. I just feel it was harsh and uncalled for to go off on him for making "rookie business decisions". It is what it is.

I will continue on my merry way. To all a good rest of your evening. :)

Some people are just full of themselves, they think what they say is the final word on what's true and what isn't. You get that everywhere.

Mandikins

Sorry you feel that way. In life a person has to take the good with the bad, if you really want to help someone do them a favor use a little less sugar. Point out the mistakes, just as you would point out the good. I too am a moderator on other forums, I can tell you the folks on this form are about the nicest anywhere, yes there are disagreements and some passionate heated discussions - but that's all good because there is even more camaraderie, knowledge & experience being displayed. You said you have been here a week and you judge us based on one discussion in which I shared my honest point of view. Wow I am floored. All I can say is good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I agree...there have been several nice people on here and most people have been nice to me personally, but if one wrong word can get you butchered as you have indicated then I will just choose to watch what I say. I have not judged you all, I just keep stumbling upon threads started by people that seem to have overly harsh responses to the point of rude when they do not necessarily deserve it. I also have shared my honest POV in that we do not know this persons full bio, history or story and yet you assumed that they did not "put in the time" and should not call themself a semi pro and I feel that honestly has nothing to do with the question that was asked, other than they made a bad business decision. Again in my opinion making a bad business decision does not make them a bad photographer worthy of being told their business practices all but stink therefor their work must stink as well and that they deserve what they got and good for the bride for choosing someone else...I am paraphrasing of course. To that I am floored. In this case, we will agree to disagree and I am sure we will see each other around!

Last edited:

Pretzel

Hello,

I'm a semi-professional photographer and have shot half a dozen Weddings among other things. In summer 2013, I photographed a couple for their engagement. I charged only £50 ($82) and they provided me with travel (I don't drive). They were happy with the photos and asked if I could be their Wedding photographer for 26[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2014. I said I would be delighted and quoted them a price of £150 ($248) I'm aware my prices are low, but I am still developing my photography and my confidence behind the camera.

I went over the details of the Wedding on email a few months after the engagement shoot; I also gave them a link to my portfolio (again). In late December, the lady asked what my return taxi would cost and would be ok if she came to my home on the Friday (24[SUP]th[/SUP]) before the Wedding to drop off the money instead of paying me on the day. I replied and agreed. In January, I asked if they would be happy for my sister to come along and be a second shooter. She is interested in photography and has accompanied me once before. The lady said this is totally fine with them. On 20[SUP]th[/SUP], I went over the details of the Wedding a final time. I didn’t receive a reply. I sent another email yesterday (24[SUP]th)[/SUP] saying I haven’t received a response from her and that it was my understanding that she wanted to deliver payment on this day. Again, no reply.

Today I sent her a couple of text messages asking if she received my email and if she could reply when she has time. I also left her a voicemail. I didn’t receive a reply. After another text with no reply, I texted saying I am not sure what to do and that I don’t want to pay money for a return taxi if the Wedding has been cancelled. She replied immediately with “Wedding is cancelled”. I replied saying it’s none of my business but why is this? And why couldn’t she let me know in advance? I concluded my message by saying I am sorry to hear this and hope she is ok. I didn’t receive a reply.

I then thought since I haven’t texted her since the summer, that she may have changed number and who I am texting is another person, pranking me, pretending to be her. I decided to call the hotel where she is having her reception and ask if it’s been cancelled. The hotel said it’s still going ahead as planned. Confused, I texted the lady and said I’m not sure what’s happened but I’ve just contacted the hotel and they tell me the reception is still going ahead. She immediately replied with “You have no right to do that, that’s cheeky and rude, you don’t know what’s going on so how dare you call the hotel”. I text back explaining that I have her best interests at heart and the last thing I want to do is miss her Wedding due to a prankster falsely telling me the Wedding is not on. I said you’re clearly not happy, I am sorry and that I won’t message you again if that’s what you want.

Was I wrong to contact the hotel? Why didn’t she have the decency to tell me it’s been cancelled or that I am no longer required? Why do I have to message her numerous times for her to tell me this? I am very frustrated and disappointed. My fear was that the person who I was texting was not her, and that she for whatever reason, didn't check her emails and that she was expecting me on her Wedding day tomorrow and I didn't show up due to a prankster. I could get into trouble for ruining her Wedding day.

Forget what some have said. You shot some great photos for their engagement, and got an invite to shoot the wedding. It's not like you were advertising your skills. They asked YOU. GOOD FOR YOU! She knew what you were capable of and was hoping for more excellence. For some reason, whatever that might be, she decided to go another direction. I'm not sure I would have done the rest of the investigative work, but don't fault ya for it either. I'm just glad you found out before you got to the site with all of your equipment.

Continue to build your portfolio. Sounds like you've shot a few weddings already, so don't be afraid to show what you do for the price you charge, and in the future... have a contract with cancellation requirements, and request a deposit. Live and learn.

Last edited:

southwestsam

TO THE OP:

No, I don't think what you did was unreasonable - she would have been more pissed had you just not turned up if they were expecting you. It sounds, from what you have said, that she acted without much common courtesy and the reason she flew off the handle at you was that she got caught telling you lies. Remember when you were a kid and your mum and dad caught you telling lies? Exactly - throw a strop and storm off to your room!

With regards to your prices - I appreciate that you don't want to charge too much as a relatively inexperienced wedding photographer, and it sounds like you were prior aquaintances/friends with this couple? However, my fiancée and I are looking to get married and I can tell you that in our area of the UK, the average cost of a BASIC wedding photography package (images on DVD/no prints, ceremony to breakfast shoot/no evening reception coverage etc.) is about £800. If you set your prices too low, you will scare people off. Imagine being offered a telly worth £1000 for £100, your first thought would be "what's wrong with it?".

Don't let it put you off, just stick your prices up and get a deposit! At least then in a similar situation you would still have made some money on it.

TO THE PEOPLE BITCHING AT EACH OTHER:

One of the things I like about this forum is the friendly atmosphere to it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Honest opinions are one thing but there is no reason to let that develop into laying into someone - don't kick a man while he's down!

Ambient

I just want to put my two cents worth in here. Maybe the wedding was cancelled. Maybe even last minute. It may have caused the bride a lot of emotional grief. She may not have had the time and strength to make decisions about cancelling things. I know situation where a wedding was cancelled last minute and the reception was already paid for and they would have lost all the money so the brides family went ahead with the dinner because their were all sorts of "fallout". Not sure if that is the word I want. But people had plane tickets booked to come and hotels booked etc. Only the brides family was going to the dinner and they just made it a sort of re-union type affair. It may have been a situation where it was all just starting to unravel around the 20th. Could have been just bad timing and if it was, you may have taken a bit of the hurt and pain she was going through. Having the photographer phone the hotel to mention a cancelled wedding before she has had time to make a decision or contact them might have panicked her and she lashed out. I don't think you did anything wrong in the circumstances and I don't think you should take it too personally. Now if you run into the happily married couple in the future, just disregard this post! ;)

gohan2091

Thanks all for the replies.

I'll cross my fingers for rain. ;-)

It's been raining heavily all day today!

I don't think she found a " cheaper photographer " I think she found a professional photographer. Sorry but six weddings does not make you a proffesional. Study with an established pro for a few years then I would consider you a pro. I am sick & tired of people buying a digital camera and considering themselves pros. I don't agree with the way she fired you - however she did the right thing. Remember this is a very special day for them. If you were to have heart surgery would you want a doctor whom had very limited experience to perform the operation or one that had years of experience to cut you.
Sorry I don't feel for you.

I never said I was a professional, these are your words, I said I was a semi-professional which is what I class myself as I am not a rookie, nor a professional but somewhere in the middle. I also don't care if you don't feel for me, I find your post rather negative and from reading other peoples replies, it appears I am not the only one. I don't know why you compare me to your professional photographer friends when I am not a professional. However good or bad I conduct business, it doesn't show how good or bad I am at photography. There must be loads of people who are very good at what they do but may conduct business poorly in the early stages.

She found me for the engagement shoot on a local free-ads website. I stated in my ad that I am 'seeking further experience'. If she was not happy with my level of photography, then why would she book me for a 2nd time after the engagement shoot? There are plenty of ads on the same free-ad website from people calling themselves 'professional', she had from July to January to find one, but she still communicated with me, until mid January. She has her wedding at a small registry office in the middle of the city, this clearly tells me that her budget isn't so large. I have experienced rejection so many times in my life so I do not mind if someone wants to say thanks but no thanks and book another photographer. If she would have said "I am no longer required" then I would have been fine with that.

I was just about to say say pretty much what Sam said although he probably put it better. I was thinking she thought you too cheap and it rang alarm bells. If a friend of mine said they had a £150 wedding photographer I would tell them not to do it even if you had good stuff to show. £150 doesn't even cover your time to take the pics and then process them at minimum wage and all business transactions should work for both parties.

I think her communication was just a poor way of letting you go. Personally I probably would have rung the hotel and I would have then let them know I'd rumbled them just for not having the decency to let me know I was dumped and for not offering to pay a proper price for the engagement pics. My wife would have counselled me not to do it but I wouldn't have been able to help myself.

I don't see how alarm bells were rung. I shot her engagement, she knew my prices, she was happy with the photos enough to ask if I could photograph her wedding 6 months in advance. Up until the last 2 weeks, she has been communicating with me fine. Furthermore, I have shown her my portfolio twice so she knows what to expect. Are you suggesting she hired me for a 2nd time and communicated with me for all those months for a laugh?

With regards to your prices - I appreciate that you don't want to charge too much as a relatively inexperienced wedding photographer, and it sounds like you were prior aquaintances/friends with this couple? However, my fiancée and I are looking to get married and I can tell you that in our area of the UK, the average cost of a BASIC wedding photography package (images on DVD/no prints, ceremony to breakfast shoot/no evening reception coverage etc.) is about £800. If you set your prices too low, you will scare people off. Imagine being offered a telly worth £1000 for £100, your first thought would be "what's wrong with it?".

The only advertisement I do is on a free-ads website. On the website, there are about 20 or so photographers posting ads in my home city. Most of these don't charge anything more than £400 and many are charging under £275 for a full days work. These are my competitors and since I do this part-time as a small 2nd income and I am not as experienced as a professional, I can't warrant charging high hundreds or thousands at the moment but I will be increasing my prices in the future (I may post a new thread about this later with a link to my portfolio)

Do you feel wrong? Do you feel you did the right thing?

Let me tell you something I do: In my business, no photography, I do a lot of quotes, talking, making offer and visit my clients and so on. I invest time, money and my ideas of a program I elaborated them.

Sometime happens that out of a sudden the company or person cancels my contract saying it is to expensive, or saying they will postpone it or something like that.

I feel I did the right thing and this is further enforced by the comments on here. I didn't phone the hotel to sneak around, I did it to try and be helpful. I don't want the soon to be bride to be at her wedding, expecting me there and I haven't shown up due to a prank text. I did try and phone her, but it went to voicemail. The last thing I want is to be sued for not delivering what was agreed. If I was to go back in time, I would still do the same thing, I caught her in a lie and she has revealed her true colours.

But if, hypothetically, he has shot a dozen weddings does he stop before he shoots the 13th?

I've only shot half a dozen, but I've also shot christenings, birthday parties and a few other misc jobs, as well as a recent baby shoot.

I just want to put my two cents worth in here. Maybe the wedding was cancelled. Maybe even last minute. It may have caused the bride a lot of emotional grief. She may not have had the time and strength to make decisions about cancelling things. I know situation where a wedding was cancelled last minute and the reception was already paid for and they would have lost all the money so the brides family went ahead with the dinner because their were all sorts of "fallout". Not sure if that is the word I want. But people had plane tickets booked to come and hotels booked etc. Only the brides family was going to the dinner and they just made it a sort of re-union type affair. It may have been a situation where it was all just starting to unravel around the 20th. Could have been just bad timing and if it was, you may have taken a bit of the hurt and pain she was going through. Having the photographer phone the hotel to mention a cancelled wedding before she has had time to make a decision or contact them might have panicked her and she lashed out. I don't think you did anything wrong in the circumstances and I don't think you should take it too personally. Now if you run into the happily married couple in the future, just disregard this post! ;)

Thanks for your post. Yes, it's certainly possible that was what happened, but I phoned the hotel the night before the wedding day so if she was going to cancel, I would have thought she would have done so before hand. I guess we will never know what really happened.